The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first post here. I just bought a 2011 T&C Limited today. Coming from a 2017 Pacifca Touring L(had to get rid of to buy a house). I test drove it during the day and didn't think to test out the headlights. As day turned into night, i noticed i had no lights in the front :(.

As it turns out, the low beams, fog lights, and one of the side markers were out. The only lighting i could use in the front were the high beams.

I ended up fixing the fog lights(one of the fuse blades was broken... M2)

Went to auto parts store to try and get a pair of headlight bulbs...go out to the car and realize there is literally nothing there for the low beams other than a tiny connector. Even the bulbs themselves were gone. I then found out this van has HID low beams. So i go back in and exchange the halogen bulbs for one HID bulb at $99 to test it out. Did not work on either side. From what I have read, this is most likely an issue with the ballast that is mounted beneath the headlight assembly.

I feel like I can complete this task after watching a youtube video, but my problem is the hardware for the bulbs is gone. There is no rubber dust cap or plastic/metal retainer clip/ring for either side.

I can easily find the clip on ebay, but i have no idea what size the OEM rubber dust cap is to find a replacement. Does anyone know what size or have the part number for it?

Other question, it appears the headlight assembly on the right was replaced. Are the headlight assemblies HID specific or are they all the same? Like, the mounting bracket for the ballast and the opening for the HID bulb. Hoping i don't have to get a new headlight assembly.

P.S. going to call the car lot i bought it from in the morning and give them an earfull for selling a vehicle with no headlights.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,003 Posts
There are universal cut-to-size dust caps on eBay. Got one when one of mine ripped. Also on eBay are cheap OEM HID kits for $35, which includes ballast, bulb, and wire.

When trying to get lighting worth a damn out of my HIDs (even with good bulbs and ballasts HID is crap on these vans) I experimented with LED bulbs in them. They were even worse on lighting. But I did find out that you can use wire hangers or other stiff wire to make a bulb cage.

My advice, chuck the HID housings in the trash and go buy a set of halogen housings and slap some LEDs in those. Instead of struggling to see 10 feet in front of you with HIDs, you'll be seeing 1/4 mile down the road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are universal cut-to-size dust caps on eBay. Got one when one of mine ripped. Also on eBay are cheap OEM HID kits for $35, which includes ballast, bulb, and wire.

When trying to get lighting worth a damn out of my HIDs (even with good bulbs and ballasts HID is crap on these vans) I experimented with LED bulbs in them. They were even worse on lighting. But I did find out that you can use wire hangers or other stiff wire to make a bulb cage.

My advice, chuck the HID housings in the trash and go buy a set of halogen housings and slap some LEDs in those. Instead of struggling to see 10 feet in front of you with HIDs, you'll be seeing 1/4 mile down the road.
How would i go about getting the wiring to work? I'm not the best with cutting and splicing wires. Or is there a plug and play kit or something?

I got a hold of the salesperson at the lot this morning. I said hey you know the van you sold me has no headlights. He was like yea, i bought the parts for it, but my mechanic is out with COVID. He told me to come get the parts. I went up there and he cut me a check for $200, which should cover everything plus my time and fuel. I guess he couldn't find the parts. I just can't believe Missouri passed it on the safety inspection and he didn't say a word about a major safety issue.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,003 Posts
If you think splicing wires is too hard, you're not going to like trying to fix this yourself. The headlight assemblies have to be removed to access the ballast, which means the front bumper needs to come off - or at least partially off to get access to the 2 bolts each light that it blocks.

The splicing part is easy (but still requires housings to be changed).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you think splicing wires is too hard, you're not going to like trying to fix this yourself. The headlight assemblies have to be removed to access the ballast, which means the front bumper needs to come off - or at least partially off to get access to the 2 bolts each light that it blocks.

The splicing part is easy (but still requires housings to be changed).
I have no problem taking the bumper off and removing the headlight assembly. I already watched out to do it, but I don't want to mess with the factory wiring, which is why I would like to stay with factory I think.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,003 Posts
Yeah, I get that. Sad thing is the HIDs are supposed to be the premium lighting option and are more expensive to maintain as well as putting out less light (much less when compared to LEDs in the halogen housings). But having just bought it, I fully understand not wanting to change it up immediately.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I get that. Sad thing is the HIDs are supposed to be the premium lighting option and are more expensive to maintain as well as putting out less light (much less when compared to LEDs in the halogen housings). But having just bought it, I fully understand not wanting to change it up immediately.
I still don't know which dust cap to use. There are so many different sizes that say they fit.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,003 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts