The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

141 - 160 of 166 Posts

·
Certified Minivan Freak
9,436 Posts
BTW- I know the question was asked in this thread- the Entourage/Sedona twins are 9% American/Canadian content. Both are assembled in Korea with primarily Korean parts.
Yes, I asked that question, and thanks for posting the data.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have owned MANY new vehicles and some purchased used. The BEST location for the shifter is on the steering column. The BEST location for all other controls is EXACTLY as they were located on the 2002 T&C, Voyager, Caravan, and Grand Caravan and the same vehicles up thru 2007. I specifically wrote 2002 because many nice features were deleted between 2002 and 2007. :help_wsig

I do NOT like the shifter on the dash as in my 2006 Sienna. I also do NOT like the stupid little lever on the steering column for the Cruise Control (where it was also located on my 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser).

I also do NOT like having ALL windshield wiper and washer controls on one stalk on the right side of the steering column, I do NOT like the headlight controls on a stalk and the stereo having ONE button to control everything so I must scroll thru the entire menu to change anything like Bass, Treble, Balance, Fade.

I can't get use to the shifter on the column. My Accord's in the console, my Ody was on the dash, and my previous vehicle, an 03 Pilot, was in the console... :biggrin:

·
GC Carl
1,680 Posts
Best place for transmission selector

I can't get use to the shifter on the column. My Accord's in the console, my Ody was on the dash, and my previous vehicle, an 03 Pilot, was in the console... :biggrin:
The transmission shifter/selector location preference seems to be the place that we have had in previous vehicles. Mine have mostly been on the column (with a few on the floor) so I prefer the column location. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
The SWB Lives on!

Youse guys are sick of hearing my opinion on the demise of the SWB models so I'l spare you with this message... :)
This fall, the will start selling the Dodge Caravan...in China.

Check it out:
http://www.trucktrend.com/features/news/2007/163_news070425_dodge_in_china

In the article, they refer to it as the 'Dodge Caravan."

I grabbes a picture of it and copied it to my photo album:
http://gallery.chryslerminivan.net/main.php?g2_itemId=296&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Check out the headlights--they are shaped like the 2005-2007 Town & Country

·
Geekier than thou
1,968 Posts
Well, that's just about par for the course. Sheesh.

·
I love cars !!
963 Posts
This fall, the will start selling the Dodge Caravan...in China.

Check it out:
http://www.trucktrend.com/features/news/2007/163_news070425_dodge_in_china

In the article, they refer to it as the 'Dodge Caravan."

I grabbes a picture of it and copied it to my photo album:
http://gallery.chryslerminivan.net/main.php?g2_itemId=296&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Check out the headlights--they are shaped like the 2005-2007 Town & Country
And look at the chrome on the front grill, like the '01-'03 ES had...

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Yeah there's chrome, but just around the edge. The 01-03 had more chrome.

·
Geekier than thou
1,968 Posts
Dodge. American Engineering. German Financiering. Chinese Manufacturing.

What's next?

-Jim
Probably a GM product, at least in my case. I might even go completely nuts and get a Toyota (Mrs. Caravan Sport likes the looks of the little Scion wagon--not the breadbox one, but the more "normal" looking one).

·
Latent car nut
8,889 Posts

·
GC Carl
1,680 Posts
Toyota?

Probably a GM product, at least in my case. I might even go completely nuts and get a Toyota (Mrs. Caravan Sport likes the looks of the little Scion wagon--not the breadbox one, but the more "normal" looking one).

The little Toyota Scion Xa is VERY small. When a Scion Xa is parked next to a Chrysler PT Cruiser, the PT Cruiser looks and feels HUGE. :help_wsig

After buying our new 2006 Sienna LE 20 months ago, I warn everyone to NOT buy a Toyota....(unless Consumer Reports is the Bible in your home). :mad: :jpshakehe :ninja:

·
PT Driver
2,664 Posts
I think I just spied one of the 5th gens on the road today... Is that possible?

-Jim
I actually saw a silver SE w/o tinted windows driving the opposing way when i went to go pick up my PT from the dealership in Auburn Hills, and that was about a month ago. But that was also very near the Chrysler HQ.

·
Geekier than thou
1,968 Posts
The little Toyota Scion Xa is VERY small. When a Scion Xa is parked next to a Chrysler PT Cruiser, the PT Cruiser looks and feels HUGE. :help_wsig

After buying our new 2006 Sienna LE 20 months ago, I warn everyone to NOT buy a Toyota....(unless Consumer Reports is the Bible in your home). :mad: :jpshakehe :ninja:
Yeah, the Scion is awfully dinky. My wife likes the non-breadbox one, whichever that is. We looked at a Vibe and it seemed more substantial. It also sits a little higher, which is a big plus for my wife. Fuel economy isn't much less than the Scion, either (with auto tranny).

·
500 Post Club Member
570 Posts
So what wrong with the Sienna???????? I thought EVERYONE that paid so much for this mistake could NEVER admit it. (Per Japanese law):usa:

·
GC Carl
1,680 Posts
WHAT is wrong with the Sienna????

So what wrong with the Sienna???????? I thought EVERYONE that paid so much for this mistake could NEVER admit it. (Per Japanese law)

The Sienna is a nice minivan...on a par with the Grand Caravan, Town & Country, and Odyssey. ALL 4 are superior to all the other "wannabe's". Both the Sienna and Odyssey cost too much compared to the DC minivans. :Wow1: :rolleyes: :bcyclop:

I am disappointed with my 2006 Sienna LE because I expected it to be superior to the T&C or Grand Caravan after reading the bull dung written by CR, Edmunds, and other self proclaimed experts. :help_wsig

·
500 Post Club Member
570 Posts
The Sienna is a nice minivan...on a par with the Grand Caravan, Town & Country, and Odyssey. I am disappointed with my 2006 Sienna LE because I expected it to be superior to the T&C or Grand Caravan after reading the bull dung written by CR, Edmunds, and other self proclaimed experts. :help_wsig
So you do like it, but you say it cost too much. And it was NOT any better than the T&C van? IC
I never owned one, but have read lots that indicated that this was one of the best vans available, IF you want to PAY. I buy cars maybe 4 years old, and you don't find that many Siennas. When you do they are higher than the T&C. They do seem to hold value better.
What about Gas mileage? And you said nothing about maintenance. Do they require more/less/same $ compared the T&C?

·
GC Carl
1,680 Posts
Sienna LE compared to GC SXT

So you do like it, but you say it cost too much. And it was NOT any better than the T&C van? IC
I never owned one, but have read lots that indicated that this was one of the best vans available, IF you want to PAY. I buy cars maybe 4 years old, and you don't find that many Siennas. When you do they are higher than the T&C. They do seem to hold value better.
What about Gas mileage? And you said nothing about maintenance. Do they require more/less/same $ compared the T&C?
2006 GC SXT w/ Power Liftgate ($ 400 option) MSRP 28,230 sale $22,891 (May 1, 2006).
2006 Sienna LE w/Opt 2 and Mats MSRP $ 26,949 sale $ 24,698 (May 1, 2006 with Toyota $ 1,000 cash back).

Sienna LE has side airbags + curtain air bags all 3 rows and 6 CD in dash changer. These would have been $ 605 and $ 200 options in 06 GC SXT. Sienna has NO Cassette player which I miss greatly. :mad: The GC SXT also has separate controls for bass, treble, balance, fade while the Sienna has the "one knob does everything" control. The Sienna has a stupid little lever mounted on the steering column for Cruise which is greatly inferior to the DC Cruise controls.

GC SXT has separately controlled temperature for driver and front passenger that is NOT on the Sienna LE :jpshakehe , 2 power sliding doors vs 1 on my Sienna, GC SXT has alloy wheels while Sienna has wheel covers, + Stow 'N Go seating (which I do not like as well as the old Quad seats and 50/50 split fold and tumble seating of my 02 T&C eL). GC SXT has 4 wheel disc ABS while Sienna has 4 wheel ABS disc front/drums on rear wheels.

Sienna has 5 speed AT while GC has 4 speed AT. Actual gas mileage on long 1380 mile round trip I-15 Salt Lake City to Anaheim and back: BEST for Sienna 28.8 MPG while best for T&C 28.2 MPG. Lowest for Sienna 26.6 MPG on same trip and 25.6 MPG for T&C. Both are equally quiet and smooth riding.

Sienna driver seat is infinitely more comfortable for me than was driver's seat of 02 T&C eL (or 99 GC SE)....BUT, these were the cheapest seats in DC minivans. The 99 GC Sport, LE, or ES and 99 T&C LXi and Limited had much better seats than my 2 DC minivans. The 2nd row Quads in either DC minivan are much more comfortable than 2nd row seats of Sienna while 3rd row seats are comparable for comfort for an adult.

The GC SXT provides a better minivan for the money (NEW or Used) than does the Sienna LE or Odyssey EX. :thumb: ....although each has some advantages.

Maintenance will probably cost more for the Sienna than for a comparable DC minivan.:Wow1:

·
500 Post Club Member
570 Posts
Sienna Comparison

Sienna LE has 6 CD in dash changer. Sienna has NO Cassette player.GC SXT has separately controlled temperature for driver and front passenger that is NOT on the Sienna LE :jpshakehe , 2 power sliding doors vs 1 on my Sienna, GC SXT has alloy wheels while Sienna has wheel covers, + Stow 'N Go seating (which I do not like as well as the old Quad seats and 50/50 split fold and tumble seating of my 02 T&C eL). GC SXT has 4 wheel disc ABS while Sienna has 4 wheel ABS disc front/drums on rear wheels.

The GC SXT provides a better minivan for the money (NEW or Used) than does the Sienna LE or Odyssey EX. :thumb: ....although each has some advantages.
THAT was a nice writeup with some good notes. The drum brakes on the rear surprised me.
About you comment on the seats: My 2000 seemed to have nicer rear seats than the ones used after they started the Sto & Go.
Folding seats would be nice, but my Quad captain seats in the middle row are extremely comfortable.:ThumbsUp:

141 - 160 of 166 Posts