The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,268 Posts
FYI, the electrical connector on my sensor is coated in something, oil or p/s fluid. I am going to spray it clean with brake cleaner.
It's leaking. That's a common problem with them. Replace it with a Mopar unit. Your use of synthetic oil is likely a non issue, just cost you more money. What's your oil change interval?

·
Super Moderator
23,268 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,268 Posts
Only worst, correct?
For the wallet, yes, the engine doesn't care, even purple synthetic oil will work. Its proclaimed better flow characteristics may facilitate leaks though and more readily run off internal engine parts.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I just replaced, under warranty, the AutoZone Duralast Oil Pressure Switch yesterday, because it was leaking oil between the sensor and plug connector. It was leaking down on top of the oil filter and down the side of it. Never saw an oil spot on the garage floor though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yes, I have te
I just replaced, under warranty, the AutoZone Duralast Oil Pressure Switch yesterday, because it was leaking oil between the sensor and plug connector. It was leaking down on top of the oil filter and down the side of it. Never saw an oil spot on the garage floor though.
Yes I have the same sort of condition. However my sensor is original.

I also see a drip, small drip, from the area between the transmission pan and the oil pan. I am not certain what that is. The van is parked on the side of the road where the driver's side is high and the passenger is low if that matters.

·
Super Moderator
23,268 Posts
Yes, I have te

Yes I have the same sort of condition. However my sensor is original.

I also see a drip, small drip, from the area between the transmission pan and the oil pan. I am not certain what that is. The van is parked on the side of the road where the driver's side is high and the passenger is low if that matters.
Parking on a slope like that can push fluids up against a seal, and facilitate a leak that you would have much less of on the level. I remember a Dodge Shadow once, that was parked on a slope and could leak out a quart, or more, of motor oil through the rear bearing seal. When parked on the level, no leak.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
How much oil should I expect to come out when I change that oil sending unit? Van will be up on ramps

·
Registered
15 Posts
Very little oil is lost. Maybe a few drops. The sending unit is higher up than the oil pan, so loss is little if any.

Bret

·
Super Moderator
23,268 Posts
Very little oil is lost. Maybe a few drops. The sending unit is higher up than the oil pan, so loss is little if any.

Bret

Yes, nothing to worry about. Change the oil filter at the same time, gives better access, Figure out the electrical connection before messing with it, a pretty standard Chrysler setup of unlock with the red tab, then press the connector and pull apart. Vice grips are handy if a socket won't work. The sensor has a tapered fit with tape, or anti-seize/sealant, already on it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Synthetic oil doesn't perform any miracles, although some may think so and report so. Longer oil change intervals is the only benefit you are going to get from it. Some conventional oils, like Valvoline Daily Protection, contain some synthetic oil blended in the 5W-20 and 5W-30 grades. Go with 5W-30, the 20 stuff is a North American fad and that fad isn't about durability.

It's often on sale at Walmart here.
I definitely second the advice to use 5W-30 or 10W-30. The factory recommendation for the 5W-20 is all about a slight increase in mileage due to a tiny bit less friction in the engine. They are searching for hundredth's of a mile per gallon these days trying to keep within the mandated average fleet mileage. At the first oil change on my 2013 T&C I put in 5W-30 and there is a subtle but definite change in the engine noise. It's quieter due to the thicker oil.

Unless you're living where it's usually well below zero F all winter, go with the 5W-30. You shouldn't have any trouble with gaskets and seals with a change to or from synthetic. Whether it's synthetic or regular motor oil, it's still hydrocarbon molecules. They just make them from different starting points.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Jeepman, synthetic oil maintains viscosity longer, so a 5W30 stays a 5W30 for the life of the oil. I've used synthetic since 1982. Small price to pay for peace of mind. Also, when I was maintaining five cars, the longer change intervals was a godsend!

·
Super Moderator
23,268 Posts
Jeepman, synthetic oil maintains viscosity longer, so a 5W30 stays a 5W30 for the life of the oil. I've used synthetic since 1982. Small price to pay for peace of mind. Also, when I was maintaining five cars, the longer change intervals was a godsend!
Valvoline viscosity index:
5W-30: Conventional 168, Synthetic 158
5W-20: Conventional 146. Synthetic 147
Higher is better.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts