The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
You might get more responses from others with a 2006 if you post this in the 3rd Gen section. They will probably also want to know which engine you have, as I would suppose the belts would be different.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,841 Posts
What size belt is needed to bypass the AC compressor
See this post:
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I wanted to add some information that others may find useful.

Belts that should work (79.0" pitch length):
Duralast 790K6
Gates K060790
Dayco 5060790
Napa 25060790
Goodyear 4060790

And a drawing of the bypass belt routing:

George

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan C/V
505 Posts
Levy is correct. I have one of those belts bypassing the compressor on my '05. If the parts store insists on having a vehicle to look it up under, I think one of the applications that the belt fits is a 1987 Chevy S10 with the 2.8 v6 and no power steering.

Unfortunately, you will either have to remove the compressor or the pulley as the back side of the shorter belt will want to ride against it. At least it did on my van.

My compressor still worked fine. Just the pulley bearings went bad, which smoked the clutch. So I just popped the pulley off so I didn't have to open up the system in case I want to fix it later on.

·
Administrator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,266 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan C/V
505 Posts
If you end up having to remove the compressor anyway, you can use one of these and retain the original belt:

Those bypass pulleys are definitely an option, but just buying a new shorter belt is a lot cheaper. And replacing an old, probably half worn out belt is never a bad idea.

And as an aside, Dorman's quality isn't usually known for being the best.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,841 Posts
Levy is correct. I have one of those belts bypassing the compressor on my '05. If the parts store insists on having a vehicle to look it up under, I think one of the applications that the belt fits is a 1987 Chevy S10 with the 2.8 v6 and no power steering.

Unfortunately, you will either have to remove the compressor or the pulley as the back side of the shorter belt will want to ride against it. At least it did on my van.

My compressor still worked fine. Just the pulley bearings went bad, which smoked the clutch. So I just popped the pulley off so I didn't have to open up the system in case I want to fix it later on.
Is not me, it is georgef.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,841 Posts
Either way, it was still correct.

Jeez, you can't even take a complement without complaining or telling someone they are wrong.:cautious:
Credit should go to georgef, he's the one who did the research, I just posted a link to his post.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts