The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 Town and Country Front A/C Evaporator is leaking refrigerant and needs to be replaced. Normally I can find detailed videos on YouTube for almost any repair, but cannot find any videos with detailed explanation for replacing the front Evaporator. There are plenty for the rear evaporator.

Does anyone know of any videos showing detailed explanation of replacing the front evaporator for this particular vehicle (or Dodge Caravan) even if it is a paid site ?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
the procedure, basically, (not basically), is to remove the dashboard and HVAC routing box

once these are removed, the evaporator is accessible

unfortunately there's no other way to to it besides taking everything apart, although i have seen some people only pull back one side of the dashboard, or prop it up, etc to access the evaporator

while this video doesn't give a detailed process, it shows what's involved and has a quick tid-bit at the end showing re-assembly, which can give some hints as to how it has to come apart

the lack of information comes from the complexity of the task, it's extremely intimidating to disassemble the entire dashboard, i'd imagine most vans that have an evaporator leak are just discarded

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My concerns is when removing trim and dashes there always seems to be hidden screws and never sure if I missed a screw or you have to pull hard to remove it. Just be nice to see someone do a detailed breakdown. Normally you can find that on youtube for almost everything, but like I said I found nothing for Town and Country or Caravan.

·
Registered
343 Posts
My concerns is when removing trim and dashes there always seems to be hidden screws and never sure if I missed a screw or you have to pull hard to remove it. Just be nice to see someone do a detailed breakdown. Normally you can find that on youtube for almost everything, but like I said I found nothing for Town and Country or Caravan.
I'm sorry but the grim reper has paid you a visit no air or junk it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
as far as trim goes, i can tell you there's two screws at the bottom of the radio/ac bezel that need to be removed before it can be popped off, and if you have a message center, there's no screws

there's no screws either for the very top trim near the windshield, it's all just clips, but it requires the pillar trim to come off first, which i'm also fairly certain has no screws

glovebox comes out with no screws as well

look up mopar parts diagrams for dashboard parts, they usually show screw hole areas

you can also look up individual videos for things like glovebox removal, radio and HVAC control module removal, instrument cluster removal, etc, they're all straightforward and easy

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
That video that Baron posted looks a bit extreme. That guy took that a bit too far in my opinion.

When I did the evaporator R&R on a gen 3 Chrysler, it was still a bit of work but not nearly as crazy as Zeke makes it seem.

I used a life line (phoned a friend) and he told me to loosen the steering column and swing it (still connected) between the driver / passenger seats.

Then he said to dismount the entire dash package and flop it backwards into the two front seats.

At that point, you have open access to the airbox and it is easy to swap the evaporator and expansion device.
** get good quality parts as you likely will not want to do this again anytime too soon.

Before reassembly, close the loop and pull/hold a vacuum, charge and check for leaks.

Mr Phelps, should you agree to undertake this mission....
Take some pictures and report back here.

Best wishes

Reactions: Baron

·
Premium Member
1999 Chrysler Town & Country Limited; 2001 Chrysler Town & Country LXi
62 Posts
My 3rd generation had a double nut on the engine side of the firewall that added a LOT of extra time to my job. There were 3 or 4 studs going through the firewall holding the whole “box” in place. Not sure if that is the same for 4th generation, but if it is, watch for that godforesaken double nut.

Wasn’t that bad of a job otherwise, but take lots of pics/video along the way to help with the wiring harness in reinstall.

I also pulled both front seats and dropped the steering column. To make room.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,222 Posts
I took the entire dash off on my 09 GCV as an attempt to add automatic temp controls (I did end up succeeding, but I realized I didn't actually have to remove the entire dash)

Anyways, there was a video I watched of the dodge/chrysler van assembly line for 4'th gen vans, and they mostly assembled the dash, then then slid it into the vehicle and added the screws/bolts that hold the dash to the frame and then added the remaining trim panels. My suggestion is go to an auto wrecker yard and find a 4'th gen van, and take the dash apart there. You will likely break some clips and such, but it helps you learn what needs to be removed in which order. Then with the dash out and dismantled, you can get a picture of what actually needs to be removed and what doesn't. I did this for my 5'th gen and i find it way more helpful then any DIY video of someone else doing it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What generation is a 2007? My son has one. 350k + on miles and still runs almost perfect. Same with tranny but lots of other stuff going south. Blower motor is out and someone put hole in condensor trying to tap underneath dash to get fan to come on. Unfortunately, it worked over in a while and then they hit the condensor. His lady friend process herself as quite there do it yourself-er. I told her I had actually witnessed cars on dealer lots start quaking when she's walked on the lot. She's got demolishing anvils with feathers down to an art form.. It's basically a work commuter for my son now, but it's just so sound mechanically it seems I told him I might take a go at replacing that EVAP cool and fan motor. Fan motor looks pretty straight forward.
Does a Chilton's book give a decent how to on the AC coil?

·
Premium Member
1999 Chrysler Town & Country Limited; 2001 Chrysler Town & Country LXi
62 Posts
Dash removal

I used this guys’ tutorial. It is for sure an all day job and it was made a lot easier by spending 30 mins to take out BOTH from seats. But nothing difficult EXCEPT the double nut on the firewall. And even that is not difficult, it is just really well hidden. As I recall, the first nut ties down a bracket (I forget what the bracket holds - brake line maybe). The second nut is hidden underneath that bracket and Is elusive to first “feel”.

The hardest part is remembering the paths for all the wiring harnesses. I took pictures/video after almost every step. I didn’t need to use most of them, but the ones I did use were critically important.

And IF you decide to do this, it is also a great time to remove the entire carpet for pressure washing. If there is 350,000 miles on that van, the carpet is surely caked with who knows what. I removed my carpet (the following summer) and pressure washed it. It took a day to dry, but looked like new when reinstalled. Would have been a lot easier to do the job in conjunction with the dash removal (mostly because the fro t seats need to come out).

Good luck

·
Registered
343 Posts
Dash removal

I used this guys’ tutorial. It is for sure an all day job and it was made a lot easier by spending 30 mins to take out BOTH from seats. But nothing difficult EXCEPT the double nut on the firewall. And even that is not difficult, it is just really well hidden. As I recall, the first nut ties down a bracket (I forget what the bracket holds - brake line maybe). The second nut is hidden underneath that bracket and Is elusive to first “feel”.

The hardest part is remembering the paths for all the wiring harnesses. I took pictures/video after almost every step. I didn’t need to use most of them, but the ones I did use were critically important.

And IF you decide to do this, it is also a great time to remove the entire carpet for pressure washing. If there is 350,000 miles on that van, the carpet is surely caked with who knows what. I removed my carpet (the following summer) and pressure washed it. It took a day to dry, but looked like new when reinstalled. Would have been a lot easier to do the job in conjunction with the dash removal (mostly because the fro t seats need to come out).

Good luck
That was a gen3 van gen 4s are completely different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts