The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
fix it if you can
5,439 Posts
Hap, only you know how urgently you need a vehicle and if it must be a minivan...
Smaller markets can be tough too (if supply isn't there for decent used vehicles).

If you trust the dealer, did your homework and want to buy the vehicle, don't let some "I bought mine for half" dissuade you.

Do consider that an insurance company likely won't reimburse 6K for a vehicle that age if it gets wrecked.

Carfax, autocheck and the like are just tools - they don't replace your eyes, in person inspection, or sound judgement... (if in doubt, have a trustworthy mechanic inspect the vehicle)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well, 80K isn't anything mileage-wise. If it looks good and seems to have been well cared (look underneath) for I'd pull the trigger. The amount of money they want is up to you (a clean 2013 around me in the northwest) is around 5 to 6 grand). But we all afford what we can afford. One thing for sure, have a mechanic you trust do a pre-sales inspection and definitely do a CarFax.

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan C/V
432 Posts
I never understood the big concern about the number of owners a vehicle has had. I honestly couldn't care less about that, and I sure wouldn't pay more for a vehicle based on it.

Any used vehicle is a gamble. I use my eyes and ears to inspect a vehicle, and make a decision on what I see vs. the price. If I was looking at one that was $6k, I would either want to go over it myself with a fine tooth comb or be able to watch while a shop does it.

Rust is the biggest concern for me. I would rather have a high mileage vehicle that needs a little work than a low mileage mechanically perfect rust bucket.

I saw a 4th gen on CL that only had 58k on it. It looked beautiful, but the rockers were just about as bad as my beater van. At $2500 or whatever they wanted for it, it may have been worth fixing, but it just didn't make sense for me to buy it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
All good inputs here...that's why I threw it out to you guys. It is in good shape body wise. Interior looks very good. The running rough situation is being worked on by Chrysler dealer so I assume they know what they are doing. If it declared ready for sale then I am going to ask to test drive it for the weekend. If it runs well and nothing is iffy in my mind I will pay them on Monday is my plan. They have a 2018 for 18 K with 138K miles is another option.

Still deciding

Hap

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
2,094 Posts
The running rough situation is being worked on by Chrysler dealer so I assume they know what they are doing.
Their first 'stab' at the issue indicates that they don't. :whistle:
Melted wiring harnesses are MUCH more prevalent than bad fuel pumps.

In their defense, I bet they don't have any techs who are familiar with 20 year old vehicles.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,573 Posts
All good inputs here...that's why I threw it out to you guys. It is in good shape body wise. Interior looks very good. The running rough situation is being worked on by Chrysler dealer so I assume they know what they are doing. If it declared ready for sale then I am going to ask to test drive it for the weekend. If it runs well and nothing is iffy in my mind I will pay them on Monday is my plan. They have a 2018 for 18 K with 138K miles is another option.

Still deciding

Hap
If that car is on a new car vehicle dealer, more likely it was ready for auction.

Dealers usually "fix" vehicles before they are offered for sale. Vehicles that are ready to be sent to auction doesn't get repaired.

Vehicles that are destined for auction usually are on a different area than vehicles offered for sale.

Salesperson make more money out of those vehicles as they know they will get close to nothing if auctioned.

·
3rd gen > all others
3,533 Posts
"They have a 2018 for 18 K with 138K miles is another option."

Wow, that's way overpriced!! For comparison, we bought our 2011 Toyota Sienna XLE with 85,000 miles, one owner, in September 2016 for $18,000. It was just out of factory warranty, so was traded in. Nothing was wrong with it. Even had a small notebook in the glove box with repairs, oil changes, new tires, etc. and mileage at time they were done. We still have it, with 143,000 miles on it now (and a few scrapes). 😕

·
Registered
184 Posts
As far as pricing, for reference I would go to Autotrader and do a search for minivans in the make, model and price range that I would be looking at. Considering what’s out there might be other choices.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
$6000 sounds high for a 2003, though 83K miles is very low. In 2008, we paid $5500 for our 2002 T&C Limited with every option (3.8L, AWD, tow package, rear climate, even 5 CD player) but 155K miles. Today at 270K miles. But, I haven't watched the current used market, which is booming. Until recently, you could buy a decent Chrysler minivan for <$1000. The upside is that parts are easy to find and fairly cheap. The 3.3/3.8L engine is simple and robust (pushrods). A good guess at the rough running is "melted fuel injector harness around exhaust cross-over", which plagued V-6 engines that year (mine had). It is an easy cheap fix with a roll of silicone self-fusing tape. Search for a post here with many photos.

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
2,094 Posts
Search for a post here with many photos.
this is the topic

21 - 30 of 30 Posts