The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a 2003 caravan 3.3 80K miles
Dealer is replacing fuel pump and then its mine if I want it?

Caution or not ?
Looks good shape wise
If it drives reasonable is it a good find ?

I can do some light repairs.
appreciate all inputs

Hap

·
Super Moderator
27,248 Posts
Depends on how much the Dealer is asking. Model and trim? 3.3L with very low mileage is good, I think. Does it look any worse for the wear? History? When was it last driven on a frequent basis?

Any leaks (transmission, differential, steering, coolant, heating, brakes)? Any rust? Any codes?

Brakes, electrical power stuff all working?

Why is he replacing the fuel pump, cracked flange at the tank?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked it over good under ect...looks clean in and out. The fuel pump was diagnosed as reason for some rough or hesitant running I guess. I will drive it and also told them no buy with Check engine lights on.
asking 6K.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,571 Posts
Welcome.

No, is not a good find. It might be a good find (buyer) for the seller.

$6,000.00 is a lot of money for a almost 20 y.o. vehicle. Then, problem may not be fixed by replacing the fuel pump.

·
fix it if you can
5,439 Posts
Welcome aboard,
What state / metro area / market are you in?
6K for a short wheel base caravan at 18 y.o. is a bit of a stretch (pandemic special pricing?).
Take a look at NADA or KBB (or any other "book" value site) and ask the dealer why they think this van is worth so much more...

Also, check the history of this van - don't want to find out later that someone rolled back the odometer (or changed BCM) or it was flooded / totaled / wrecked and sat for years in some lot.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Hapbob, as Levy said, walk don't run away from vehicle, but if you must:

Ask dealer for the Carfax. Any dealer will have it.

Get a prepurchase inspection.

Depending on where this vehicle has lived, check for lower body rust. A magnet is a good tool, as plastic body putty is not magnetic.

Offer $3K, and see what happens, that is if everything else checks out.

Finally, check engine lights, when turned off, don't always come back on immediately.

Finally, finally, if this your first rodeo, as you might want to get, or even pay, someone to help you buy a vehicle.

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan C/V
432 Posts
I agree that 6k is a lot unless it looks like it rolled off the showroom floor.

Used vehicles are going for ridiculous prices right now, though. I see ones on Facebook and Craigslist that are way too much for what they are (in my opinion), and they sell almost immediately.🤨

·
3rd gen > all others
3,533 Posts
Rough running, 2001-2004 3.3 and 3.8 - check the fuel injection wiring harness for melted wire insulation INSIDE of the harness jacket, back by the exhaust crossover pipe. Common problem on these vans.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree with atoman.Except I wouldn't bother checking anything unless the price was around 3k.

In my neck of the woods from time to time 4 gen vans with LOWER MILEAGE, no rust and very nice shape go between 3 and 4.5 k Canadian money. But gen 4 vans (due to age are getting harder to find.

I bought my van two years ago a 2006 1-owner with 93k miles (150k kilometers exactly) in very nice shape for a lot less.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The used car market is crazy and I need a daily driver. This van is very good shape. The fuel pump was replaced and the sales guy called to say it wasn't quite right yet and a new wiring harness was ordered !!! With 83K miles and seeing the amount of miles on the minis I see on here makes me wonder if I cant get a couple years out of it. Again the used car market is very slim around me and when you need you need ! I got into this situation by selling my 2017 Toyota pickup for a couple thousand less than I paid 4 years ago ! Did I mention the used car market is a sellers market. I hear you guys but to get a newer possibly more reliable model is going to be 15-18 K. So that's what I am thinking. This is a one owner trade... I have known the sales guy for many years and I work with his dad so I trust him for what he knows.
Still haven't pulled the trigger on this van.
Hap

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree with atoman.Except I wouldn't bother checking anything unless the price was around 3k.

In my neck of the woods from time to time 4 gen vans with LOWER MILEAGE, no rust and very nice shape go between 3 and 4.5 k Canadian money. But gen 4 vans (due to age are getting harder to find.

I bought my van two years ago a 2006 1-owner with 93k miles (150k kilometers exactly) in very nice shape for a lot less.
2 years ago was a different time....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rough running, 2001-2004 3.3 and 3.8 - check the fuel injection wiring harness for melted wire insulation INSIDE of the harness jacket, back by the exhaust crossover pipe. Common problem on these vans.
Mechanic said a new wiring harness was on order....good call I think

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hapbob, as Levy said, walk don't run away from vehicle, but if you must:

Ask dealer for the Carfax. Any dealer will have it.

Get a prepurchase inspection.

Depending on where this vehicle has lived, check for lower body rust. A magnet is a good tool, as plastic body putty is not magnetic.

Offer $3K, and see what happens, that is if everything else checks out.

Finally, check engine lights, when turned off, don't always come back on immediately.

Finally, finally, if this your first rodeo, as you might want to get, or even pay, someone to help you buy a vehicle.
I know for a fact the dealer has 3-4 k in it not accounting the new parts they are putting in it to get it running correctly. I feel it will sell for at least 6K in these times

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome aboard,
What state / metro area / market are you in?
6K for a short wheel base caravan at 18 y.o. is a bit of a stretch (pandemic special pricing?).
Take a look at NADA or KBB (or any other "book" value site) and ask the dealer why they think this van is worth so much more...

Also, check the history of this van - don't want to find out later that someone rolled back the odometer (or changed BCM) or it was flooded / totaled / wrecked and sat for years in some lot.
Northern Michigan. Trying to avoid shopping in city 100 miles away

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome.

No, is not a good find. It might be a good find (buyer) for the seller.

$6,000.00 is a lot of money for a almost 20 y.o. vehicle. Then, problem may not be fixed by replacing the fuel pump.
I agree with you....But the market is way off what it was two years ago. I need a cheap vehicle to drive around town.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Hapbob, if this is a MIchigan van, you really, really need to check for lower body rust/structural carnage!

Did you get the Carfax, as the dealer has it.

Bottom line for the future, is never buy a used car when you need one. You should have found a replacement vehicle and then sold your truck.

Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Anybody think that Carfax is a reliable source for a vehicle service history? Usually very lacking in details.

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan C/V
432 Posts
Personally, I think Carfax is nearly worthless. A lot of things can happen to a vehicle and not be reported.

·
Registered
2002 Grand Caravan Sport - Green Onyx 3.3 - 158,000, 2nd Owner
21 Posts
Beginning of March I bought 1 owner 2002 with 158k for about 2k before tax and title, tabs etc. Prices are way up and they are selling.

So I am constantly seeing Google buy this van ads. And the prices are way up. 6k for 2003 I have seen several times. But Grand Caravan models. For $5,000 you should be able to get a bigger van with about 60k miles . And I grew up in the rust belt... I agree rust is a bit high in Michigan. Mine is totally rust free.

I would keep looking or maybe consider a trip west for a no rust van.. 😊

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Carfax is what it is. If the car has had 15 owners, you'll see it. If the car has a 'flood' title, you'll see it. If the car has been totaled, you'll see it.

You'll also see a lot of the service history history. A lot, but not all.

You'll see most accidents that were reported to the insurance company. You won't see a big accident that I decided to fix myself, which is what, maybe 5% of all accidents.

It isn't perfect, but for what you get, it is the best there is. It is also why every car also needs a prepurchase inspection.

Finally, if Carfax is as bad as some of you say, why do most all dealers subscribe, as I'm sure it costs them big money.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts