The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

2002 3.8L EX with 96,000 miles.

Today on the way to work the CEL came on. On the freeway the transmission would not go into OD. At 55 MPH the engine was turning ~4000 RPM. The transmission was completely rebuilt 14000 miles ago. I have not had any issues since the rebuild.

I checked the tranny fluid (yes ATF +4). The fluid was full and red in color. I did the key dance and got a P0700 code. I disconnected the battery(negative) for 35 minutes. I reconnected the negative and drove the van. THE CEL did not come on. I took the van out on the freeway and reached 70 MPH. The transmission shifted through all gears and the RPM's were normal.

Any ideas?

·
5000 Club
5,713 Posts
If it happens again and you get a P0700 head to a shop and have them connect a scanner that will read transmission codes. The P0700 was the engine computer (PCM) telling you the transmission computer (TCM) had stored a fault code.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
****Update****

The CEL came back on. The Key dance revealed a P0700 code again. I took the van to the transmission shop. They hooked it up to their scanner an got a P0605 and P0605D code. They techenician at the shop stated this indicated a problem with the TCM. He checked the wire connections to the TCM. They were all connected. He used his scanning tool and reset the codes. The technician drove the van(after resetting the codes) and the CEL came back on and it is throwing the same error codes.

The tech at the tranny shop called chrysler for a new TCM. The problem is the new TCM needs to be flashed and only CHRYSLER/dodge dealer can do the flashing. The guy at the transmssion shop sent me on my way telling me that is all he could do(he did not charge me which I thought was really nice).

The cost to replace the TCM and flash is $609(part and Labor).

1. Does the Transmission shop diagnosis sound complete?
2. Is $609 a reasonable price?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

·
fix it if you can
4,885 Posts
IMHO, checking only the connectors at TCM is inadequate, the wiring harness needs to be checked for continuity on power supply and ground circuits at the very least (or power and ground need to be probed & verified directly @TCM).

P0605 = Control Module Programming Read Only Memory (ROM)

If there's visible deterioration of the TCM (corrosion, impact damage etc) then a replacement is probably in order, if the module looks good than chances of an external problem are higher..

·
Registered
741 Posts
I had TCM failure with P605 without any obvious damage -- the problem was with TCM and was solved by replacing.

TCM (unlike PCM) is not VIN locked -- as long as you get an identical software version (part number sticker has to match) -- you can just drop in a junk yard replacement. It is located in the driver's side wheel well.

Search YouTube there is a video on how to replace TCM -- no programming is required (except for pinion factor perhaps -- do not know if it retains the previous pinion factor or detects that it is in a different vehicle and resets to default) -- but this should get your vehicle moving again.

TCM seems to pick up VIN from somewhere -- probably PCM.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the TCM replaced today. I took the van out on the freeway for a 20 mile drive. The van shifted great through all gears. The CEL is also gone.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Gsod

·
5000 Club
5,713 Posts
Sure hope you didn't go the route stated by your mechanic. Nothing more than 4 bolts a couple of connectors and 5 minutes of your time and you're done for a couple hundred bucks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts