The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

401 - 420 of 478 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well the brown and white wire from the coil connector to the fuse box I cut at both ends and wired directly from under the fuse box directly to the brown and white wire on the coil connector .
I tested the other three wires with the engine cranking and they all flash with a test light clamps to positive battery terminal like they're supposed to and by bypassing the brown and white wire I figured I'd bypass any short to ground.
Put everything back together plug the coil connector in now it won't even start put it back the way it was with the original wiring it won't even start
I don't know what else to do with this fantastically stupidly designed car

Per this statement, he cut the brown and white wire at both the IPM and the coil. Then he ran a wire directly from IPM to coil. If so, this would have left all the rest of the original harness hanging. So, he had ASD power to the coil, but not the injectors or PCM. Which is why in post #330 (I think) he stated:

"the brief time that I was cranking it threw codes 1193 inlet air temperature and it also threw a 1389 no output power from ASD relay"

Then the fuel pump not running came up and I stated that it would be best to put the harness back the way it originally was before assuming the fuel pump was bad and not just being shut off by the PCM which was no longer getting the ASD relay power output.

Maybe I failed to follow, maybe not... whatever the case, if the wiring harness is now wired as it should have been from the manufacturer, then I'd say now is a good time to check the fuel pump operation again to see if it still appears not to be pumping.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,995 Posts
Per this statement, he cut the brown and white wire at both the IPM and the coil. Then he ran a wire directly from IPM to coil. If so, this would have left all the rest of the original harness hanging. So, he had ASD power to the coil, but not the injectors or PCM. Which is why in post #330 (I think) he stated:

"the brief time that I was cranking it threw codes 1193 inlet air temperature and it also threw a 1389 no output power from ASD relay"

Then the fuel pump not running came up and I stated that it would be best to put the harness back the way it originally was before assuming the fuel pump was bad and not just being shut off by the PCM which was no longer getting the ASD relay power output.

Maybe I failed to follow, maybe not... whatever the case, if the wiring harness is now wired as it should have been from the manufacturer, then I'd say now is a good time to check the fuel pump operation again to see if it still appears not to be pumping.
Well the brown and white wire from the coil connector to the fuse box I cut at both ends and wired directly from under the fuse box directly to the brown and white wire on the coil connector .
I tested the other three wires with the engine cranking and they all flash with a test light clamps to positive battery terminal like they're supposed to and by bypassing the brown and white wire I figured I'd bypass any short to ground.
Put everything back together plug the coil connector in now it won't even start put it back the way it was with the original wiring it won't even start
I don't know what else to do with this fantastically stupidly designed car
Well, he put everything the way it was. Nothing changed after doing all that, just waste of time.

Fuel pump was always running, from the beginning.

Anyways, let's wait and see if replacing the fuel pump helps or not.

·
Registered
539 Posts

This statement was made regarding efforts to test the pump. If the harness was put back the way it was then there should have been no error of the PCM not receiving output power from the ASD.

Agreed, let's check the pump now...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #404
NIGHTMARE UPDATE :
Well the guy whose property I live on has a bobcat with forklift blades and he dragged a 2001 Dodge caravan up into the shop put it on the lift and I took the fuel pump out the entire gas tank
then pull it out then had to pull mine in lifting it up by the rear spare tire into the shop
put that on the lift and I switched out the fuel pumps and guess what ???
I've got the exact same problem
the fuel pump from the donor van we tested it and it runs continuously we did not immerse it in the fuel didn't think of that but that was a running van as far as I know
my old fuel pump that came out we stuck it in the gas tank of the donor van hook it up to a jumper box like the other pump and fuel gushef out of it about 8 inches... obviously don't know what the pressure was but I believed there is nothing wrong with my fuel pump in the first place

try to start my van and the exact same problem no fuel makes it up to the fuel rail
the fuel rail was disconnected no gas comes out of the line ...nothing
it will run if you spray starting fluid in it while cranking the engine it will start but it is not getting any fuel totally unbelievable
you have to really think hard to design a vehicle like this
if anybody knows what's going on what I can do to fix this please tell me .
I've been without a van for almost two months the woman I work for just call me I have to work on some houses I'm using this guy's 2004 Grand caravan and taking a chance with it
just had to take the seats out of it in the back could only get three out of four because the other one is jammed and you can't get it out just never ever ends
if anyone knows why I'm not getting fuel please tell me.... like I said if you spray starting fluid into it while I'm trying to crank the engine it will start it is not getting any fuel.
It hums like it should when you turn the key on but no fuel comes out when you're cranking the engine when it starts for a few seconds with starting fluid no fuel is coming out even though the pump is good even though my old pump was good

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #406
Where is a fuel filter a little square on the bottom of the pump that goes into the tank it pumps fine through that there is also a round oblong cylinder that is connected to the fuel pump on top of the gas tank and I have no idea what that is no way can a fuel filter be totally clogged that it won't pump a drop of gas and this one pump gas fine just like the old one that I had in there is there a return line to the fuel tank in these bands do you know? because the guy where's the transmission shop and he's been doing this for over 40 years since they all have to have a return line somewhat I don't know if there is one or where it is

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #409
Well probably tomorrow I'm going to have to take that gas tank down again and check if the fuel filter actually is clogged that it stops fuel from coming out

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #410
I will use my old original fuel pump from my van with the fuel filter of the donor van and put the pump in a bucket of water and see if it pumps through the filter and then I'll touch the filter that is actually on my van which is the original one

·
Registered
539 Posts
Check the filter. Check the fuel pressure regulator. Check the fuel lines. There is no return. Fuel pressure regulation occurs at the pump assembly.

If that doesn't get it, then fix your crankshaft position sensor problem. I'll quote from the service manual:

"When the ignition switch is in the On position, the PCM energizes the fuel pump. If the crankshaft position sensor does not detect engine rotation, the PCM de-energizes the relay after approximately one second."

"The PCM requires only three inputs and a good ground to operate the fuel pump relay. The three inputs are:"
Ignition Voltage
Crankshaft Position Sensor
Camshaft Position Sensor

If still not working and you can't find an electrical problem, then a re-visit of the flex plate may be in order. The Camshaft sensor apparently detects timing slots in a ring on the back side of the flex plate. Any damage/breakage/separation of this ring might also cause a camshaft position sensing problem.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,995 Posts
Pressure regulator is built-in into the fuel pump assembly, so I doubt that is the problem, unless both pumps had bad pressure regulator, very unlikely.

If engine fires when you spray some gas into the throttle body, then I would scratch flexplate problem.

Check fuel filter first.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #414
Yeah good idea levy I didn't think of that

I'm thinking either lines are clogged or the filters clogged so I'm going to check my original pump and hook it up to the donor fuel filter which is out of the car and see if that works and then I'm going to check the fuel filter that is on the van with a donor pump see if it pumps water out strong

Sure whatever is the best combination and maybe blow some compressed air or use a vacuum pump for the line from the disconnected fuel filter up to the fuel rail

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,995 Posts
But then again it still has p1391 code for the camshaft can't get rid of that
Don't worry about that code, get the engine running first, then we'll go over that code.

If engine runs when you spray gas into the throttle body, then it will run when fuel reach the injectors. It might not run perfect, but it will run for sure.

This thread is waaaaay too long, but think you posted injectors are clicking, didn't you?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #417
Yeah it's a long thread probably broke a record or close to it
I never checked if the injectors we're clicking I did check the injector wiring harness for a short to ground and there was none on any plug

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #418
And what else bring fueling their it did run for like a second it just wouldn't keep running so the injectors I believe are working

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #420
Okay just thought I'd mention this in case anyone seen this right now

I have my original fuel pump that was in my van with the filter hook up from the donor van I have it in a 5 gallon bucket of water witn a jumper box the pump runs fine pushes water out ......when I hook up all the lines to it nothing comes out of the line going out to the fuel rail that really long plastic hose that is marked OUT

inside of the end of it where it would clip onto the fuel line there is like a metal bar in there I'm pushing it in I'm doing everything I can but nothing comes out of that hose I believe it's some kind of valve but there's no water coming out of it and it is probably the same problem with the hose I have on the van right now which is the original one with the original filter nothing comes out and those hoses do not come off the filter

401 - 420 of 478 Posts