The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced the fuel pump, but wasn't having any crank issues only no fuel. So filled the tank with fuel and it started and ran perfect for 10 minutes, then started running jumpy, then died. It started easy and ran 2 more times, but now it won't turn over (relays do click). All the dash lights are working, however, there is an Oil Pressure light on now. Would that prevent a crank? Battery is brand new Odyssey AGM. Is there an Engine Start Disable?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oil Pressure light is off, but now every time I turn the key the Brake! light comes on, but still no crank.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,521 Posts
Bad alternator? Engine was just running off the battery before?

·
Super Moderator
22,857 Posts
Battery voltage is low enough that starter won't engage (takes a lot of juice), but lights still work. That's common with a weak or run down battery from cranking.

When battery is weak/run down, relays get messed up with current flowing where it shouldn't. Dash lights can go bonkers, wipers can start working without the switch on, etc.

Do you have another battery or a charger? An hour or two of charging will likely boost the voltage up enough to power the starter.

Sounds like you have a fuel flow problem but for starters:
  • is the air filter dirty or obstructed by a squirrel or mouse nest?
  • is your fuel gauge telling you the truth? You filled it so should be OK there.
  • any chance water got into your tank?
  • what else was going on, previous to the present situation, that might be causing a problem?.
  • any gas smells to indicate leakage or flooding?
Road Ripper makes a good point about no charging. The battery is the heart of the electronic systems, can't run the engine without one these days.

Atoman's suggestion can work if a sticky starter is a problem. I have done that a couple of times.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Battery is full. Starter is working via relay bypass so the switch went bad. The new fuel pump is priming, but I still think I'm having a fuel issue. Clogged injectors? I had a misfire and plug fouling problem 2 years ago within 10 minutes of having all plugs and wires replaced. Finally my buddy gave it a seafoam cleanout and it quit fouling plugs (for awhile). Could the EGR or MAP sensor cause an issue like this? The OBD tool isn't reading any DTC's but I think there may be a communication problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do you have anyway to check your MAP,EGR,TPS sensors in real time? I had an issue once that kind of matches your situation. I had to start it via starting fluid. I got it to stay started for about a minute, just long enough to realize my MAP sensor was malfunctioning. Replaced the MAP sensor and could get the van to run(very roughly) that allowed me to check my TPS(throttle position sensor) and it was reading at 92%. Ended up replacing that also; van ran fine afterwards.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Good to hear!

Thank you for returning and letting us know what it took to repair this.

AutoZone has a fuel pump troubleshooting kit to 'borrow'
Would have been useful in diagnosing this fault...

But why the starter would not crank?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts