The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
PT Driver
2,680 Posts
Man, Make sure they did all the recall for the gas tank stuff. That is IMPORTANT.

Make sure to get everthing checked out dude. If they still have the OEM Gen1 Bearings, get ready to switch those out.. But I think they did this by the time the 03 came out.

They got all the bugs worked out by then for the most part. BUT CHECK CHECK CHECK

And USE the REDLINE Transmisson fluid if you got a 5 speed.

And check those Ground clips and fog lights. Put realays in them ASAP..!

You have been warned! :)
And you overlooked one other issue, lower control arm bushings. I've owned my PT for about 5 years now, and replaced them twice. I will confirm the Fog light as a real issue, at one point multifunction switches for PT's were back ordered because of this issue. But if you don't have fog lights you won't have an issue (lucky me I'm one of those)

and since Eugene you posted saying you got an 03 GT, if its an automatic becareful of boosting in OD (4th gear), its a trans killer. I've heard of other PT GT owners driving with the gear selector in 3, unless they are at highway or freeway speeds and cruising.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New here, guys. This is all very interesting. OK, I'm four years late to this thread!

My wife has a 2001 PT LTD with about 70,000 miles. Most of those miles are northern with all the stuff they use in winter.

We just replaced the front brakes and the front control arm bushings and links. First time for the bushings. The discs were first replaced about 27,000 IIRC.

The chrome wheels are absolutely flakey and funky-looking inside. Outside you'd never know there was chrome-rot. No problem maintaining air pressure.

The 2.4 mill was IMO outdated when the car was new, though power output was probably par for the course in 2001. It is really stuffed in there.
It IS rough and loud. MPG is weak, our best has been 25 on the highway.

The car runs about 28 MPH/1000 RPM in top gear, with the automatic. At 70 MPH it's running 2500 RPM. I can only guess there's some trannie slippage or clutch issues if people are getting high revs at normal cruising speeds with the AT and stock gearing.

We removed the rear seats long ago. A guy at Home Depot saw us loading the car up one day and said, "Hey, that's a PT Hauler!" It DO hold lots of stuff.

Currently running Pirelli Cinturato P7 in 205.55.16. She loves this car, she's had it longer than any other car by a good margin and has no plans to trade, though I'd prefer to see her in something more modern, with the safety gizmos.

It gets light use nowadays, about 1000 miles per year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2001 Limited Edition PT Cruiser Dashboard problem

My 2001 PT Cruiser dashboard is shot, cracked. I bought one on eBay that indicated it would fit. It doesn't and the seller was not helpful with the return process. Secondary seller. I would simply like to fix my dried up and cracked dashboard. Any advice?

41 - 44 of 44 Posts