The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my notice for the state department of motor vehicles that my registration expires at the end of next month and that I own them a substantial sum of money if I want to keep my vehicle registered. $180, to be exact. This seemed high, even by Maryland standards. I checked their website, and it seems that I'm in the more expensive bracket (my wife's was a mere $128) because my vehicle weighs more than 3700 pounds.

What?

Every source that I've been able to find lists the weight of the 2000 Voyager as between 3510 and 3520 pounds. The state MVA is specifically interested in the "shipping weight". Even with a full tank of gas, 20 gallons, the weight shouldn't be more than 2680 pounds, which would, I admit, be cutting it close.

Of course, I don't still have the owner's manual. Can anyone out there provide me with a reliable source as to the exact shipping weight for a 2000 Plymouth Voyager (3.0L)? Thank you.

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
Take a look at the sticker on the inside of the driver's door, right around the latch. You'll see a sticker there that has tire-pressure capacities as well as capacities for safe towing, AND vehicle weight.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just checked the door tag - and it only has the GVWR and the split GVWR front and rear. Alas.

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Drive it to a truck stop with scales. Then you can find out what it actually weighs.

·
Latent car nut
8,887 Posts
Every source that I've been able to find lists the weight of the 2000 Voyager as between 3510 and 3520 pounds. The state MVA is specifically interested in the "shipping weight". Even with a full tank of gas, 20 gallons, the weight shouldn't be more than 2680 pounds, which would, I admit, be cutting it close.
I assume that you meant that the weight "shouldn't be more than 3680 pounds". Yes, no?

FWIW, http://autos.msn.com shows the 2000 model year Voyager with the following weights:
  • 3,537 -- Voyager
  • 3,870 -- Voyager SE
  • 3,954 -- Grand Voyager
  • 3.991 -- Grand Voyager SE
Regarding what it costs you per year to license your cars, you don't even want to know what it costs up here in New Hampshire. ;)

·
Latent car nut
8,887 Posts
Finally, a reason to fill the tires with nitrogen...

-Jim
As Jaime Escalante would have said, "Yup, that'll do it." :beerchug:

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
Regarding what it costs you per year to license your cars, you don't even want to know what it costs up here in New Hampshire. ;)
I'd actually be curious. Only because I figure, if anything is going to be mad-as-a-hatter expensive, it's going to be in the Constitution State that also happens to have the highest gas tax.

I was planning on registering the '96 out here in Colorado until I found out it would cost me just over TWICE what it costs in Connecticut to license it.

Heavens to murgatroyd!

Needless to say, Snagglepuss was right.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
$71.50 to register a 2001 Caravan, which includes a free every other year state inspection in N.J. I believe in CT you actually have to pay property tax on vehicles? I won't get into real estate property taxes here in N.J.:angry1:

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
We most certainly DO in CT.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The cost of registration may be lower than some places, but lets not get into what I'm paying for insurance in this crazy town.

·
Latent car nut
8,887 Posts
I'd actually be curious. Only because I figure, if anything is going to be mad-as-a-hatter expensive, it's going to be in the Constitution State that also happens to have the highest gas tax.

I was planning on registering the '96 out here in Colorado until I found out it would cost me just over TWICE what it costs in Connecticut to license it.

Heavens to murgatroyd!

Needless to say, Snagglepuss was right.
Well, since you asked, when we first bought our 2003, the annual state registration $75.00, the annual town fee was $750.00, and the annual state inspection was $35.00. As cars get older, the town fee drops, and as things stand now, our 2003 is $250.00 to the town and our 1998 is $75.00 (the minimum). Better, but still WAAAAY more than we paid in New Jersey.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts