The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) How can you tell what amperage your alternator is? I replaced the original about 2 years ago when it crapped the bed, But I forget how I figured out #1 out. :D

2) Of course the alternator has that stupid OAD pulley on it. The original was making noise, but since it was putting out sufficient electricity, I let it be. However, this newer one I replaced two years ago, eveidently the OAD has failed again and is even more obnoxious. So my question is... Does anyone make the alternator for our vehicle with a non-OAD pulley on it?

I'm not concerned with risks. It is a high mileage heap of crap with a ton of other broken stuff that I use for a second job that's worth MAYBE $500 now. I just want it quiet.

·
Super Moderator
23,268 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That might've been how I determined it last time.

Second question though is, does anyone make one without the decoupler mechanism? Just a regular pulley?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I'd imagine you can get a solid pulley to install on your existing alternator. Not sure of where to source it or the specifications (diameter, width, ribs) though.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It'd be a standard 6 rib. Just trying to avoid having to go this route is there is one out there already.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I found this for you:

But first, a word from Dayco on OAD....

Also, not sure about COVID but AutoZone has / had tools for 'borrow' to remove / install pulley.

Cheers and please let us know how it ends.

·
fix it if you can
4,884 Posts
1) you can get the exact spec of what your van came with by putting the VIN number in FCA web site and pulling the build sheet.

2) you can get an Alt. with solid pulley if you look around the stores and online, but it will not quiet down the diesel drone - that vibration is absorbed by a spring in the ADP (no spring no absorption)

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Walmart online has the OAD (for my make model) for under $34 aftermarket, I'd imagine the real investment is in my effort and i'd just put the correct $35 cheap part into the junker and not risk additional 'weak link discovery'.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found this for you:

But first, a word from Dayco on OAD....

Also, not sure about COVID but AutoZone has / had tools for 'borrow' to remove / install pulley.

Cheers and please let us know how it ends.
1) you can get the exact spec of what your van came with by putting the VIN number in FCA web site and pulling the build sheet.

2) you can get an Alt. with solid pulley if you look around the stores and online, but it will not quiet down the diesel drone - that vibration is absorbed by a spring in the ADP (no spring no absorption)
Thank you on the FCA website. Being that I work on the GM side, I never had to look that up... I didn't know they have that.

Just for the record, I know well about OAP/OAD pulleys. And tools aren't the issue, I have them all. The issue is, when I get home from working on stuff all day, the last thing I want to do more work. So if someone already has one set up with a regular pulley, I'll get it and R&R the alternator in a half hour and be in drinking a beer.

Dieseling would be quiet compared to what it is now. It sounds like a wood chipper with rocks and metal parts in it. Issue #1 was the A/C compressor which is shot and was dragging hard and sounding like a buzz saw, so I short belted it with the 79" belt and there is still a commodious racket coming from the alternator (now that it's isolated). It is loud enough to where people at the second job, standing 50 feet away from the van comment on the noise it makes.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Thank you on the FCA website. Being that I work on the GM side, I never had to look that up... I didn't know they have that.

Just for the record, I know well about OAP/OAD pulleys. And tools aren't the issue, I have them all. The issue is, when I get home from working on stuff all day, the last thing I want to do more work. So if someone already has one set up with a regular pulley, I'll get it and R&R the alternator in a half hour and be in drinking a beer.

Dieseling would be quiet compared to what it is now. It sounds like a wood chipper with rocks and metal parts in it. Issue #1 was the A/C compressor which is shot and was dragging hard and sounding like a buzz saw, so I short belted it with the 79" belt and there is still a commodious racket coming from the alternator (now that it's isolated). It is loud enough to where people at the second job, standing 50 feet away from the van comment on the noise it makes.
I had a girlfriend that used to clean houses for a living, the last thing she wanted to do was....
Gotcha

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,014 Posts
Yes it will, ADP noise is awful when it fails.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a girlfriend that used to clean houses for a living, the last thing she wanted to do was....
Gotcha
If it were my GTO, G8 or the Caddy, different story. But this thing... I just don't care.

Yes it will, ADP noise is awful when it fails.
The original had more of the rooowwrrr, rowwwwrrr, rowwwrrrr, especially in gear under load. This just sounds like a vacuum cleaner going over a pile of rocks.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I went to a MOPAR parts site, put in the VIN# and it pulls up both the 140 and 160 amp versions. Being the LWB version and Limited, I think I'm safe if I go 160.

·
Super Moderator
23,268 Posts
What noise? Just turn down your hearing aid. I wouldn't replace with a solid pulley but here goes:
Clutch/Decoupler Pulley to Solid Pulley Conversion Kits and Pulley Removal Tool

·
Super Moderator
23,268 Posts
So I went to a MOPAR parts site, put in the VIN# and it pulls up both the 140 and 160 amp versions. Being the LWB version and Limited, I think I'm safe if I go 160.

160 amp isn't going to hurt anything. How's your battery?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Brand new. That was two weeks ago. After 8 years, the old Die Hard gave up with the cold here. :D

·
fix it if you can
4,884 Posts
FWIW, you can get an aftermarket ADP for under $30 on fleabay, plain pulleys are around $12 on there (nuts are $4)...
Since you have the tools, shelling out over a hundred for an alt - it's your call.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You missed my point that I don't want to dink with it. I just want to R&R it and be done.

Problem is, I don't see any listed on Rock Auto, Napa, Advance, Auto Zone, O'Reilly's that don't have it without the OAD on the end.

·
fix it if you can
4,884 Posts
No, didn't miss it. (that's why FWIW was there :) )
You get to R&R either way, putting an impact wrench on the pulley doesn't take much additional time...

I did look at rockauto and saw all the pics with OAD pulleys (that's why I posted on the source for pulleys).
It used to be a lot more common to see solid pulleys sold with these alts and what's in pics doesn't always reflect what's on the shelf in parts stores.

Can still get one: High Output 250 Amp NEW Alternator Dodge Grand Caravan Chrysler Town & Country | eBay

If you have a local electrical (starter / alt) re-builder (which is far less common these days), they'll make a solid pulley unit for you.

The 'redneck' way of converting an OAD to a plain pulley is to tack weld the outer pulley to the core hub, which may or may not hold up in the long run.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,014 Posts
Clutch/Decoupler Pulley to Solid Pulley Conversion Kits and Pulley Removal Tool

100% agree with this person.

==============================

Noise
How much noise are we talking about?....
Vibration
.....Solid pulleys do not fail..
Harshness
What are they talking about? It says in the conterman magazine article that clutch/decoupler pulley drives the alternator one direction and slips in the other direction. It says that this allows the alternator to "free wheel" when the motor slows down rapidly. Well I can tell you that alternators do not "free wheel" when they are charging.

They Say Clutch/Decoupler Pulleys Will Make Your Alternator Last Longer?
...The clutch in the clutch//decoupler pulleys fail all the time potentially leaving you stranded.

Noise

How much noise are we talking about?.... I cannot tell the difference.

Vibration
Overrunning Clutch/decoupler pulleys have a much greater chance of making noise and vibration.....Solid pulleys do not fail, they are solid steel, no clutch in them, I've never seen any vibration in an alternator other than when the clutch/decoupler pulley fails.

Harshness
What are they talking about? It says in the conterman magazine article that clutch/decoupler pulley drives the alternator one direction and slips in the other direction. It says that this allows the alternator to "free wheel" when the motor slows down rapidly. Well I can tell you that alternators do not "free wheel" when they are charging. People think alternators are easy to spin, this may be true when they are sitting on the counter at the auto parts store but in real life when alternators are mounted on the vehicle and turned on charging, they are very hard to turn, so they do not "free wheel" while charging on the vehicle. As soon as you slow down your motor the alternator is under such charge load that the alternator itself will slow down the motor.

They Say Clutch/Decoupler Pulleys Will Make Your Alternator Last Longer?
How will clutch/decoulpler pulleys make the alternator last longer? The clutch in the clutch//decoupler pulleys fail all the time potentially leaving you stranded.
==============================

And to add a little more salt:

Why AC Compressors, Water Pumps, Power Steering Pumps etc are not equipped with Decouple Pulley?

Alternator last longer?

First thing to fail is the alternator pulley, many people replaces a otherwise good alternator just because the failed pulley.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts