The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My van is pushing 235,000 miles, The transmission fluid (as far as I know) has never been changed, It looks pretty good, not burnt black. Ive noticed in the summer months it changes gears hard and sometimes acts funny.my question is, is it ok to change it and the filter without problems? I know I shouldnt flush it so i wont be doing that. Thanks for any input.

·
Latent car nut
8,889 Posts
When you have the windows open and you are rolling to a stop, do you hear a buzzing or clicking coming from the transmission as it downshifts? If not, then the transmission may well have been changed.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,619 Posts
First off, congratulations on that mileage.

When you drop the pan and do a fluid drain and filter, you only get about a third of the total fluid out anyway so go ahead. Clean the pan and the magnet thoroughly. Note how the o-ring of the filter fits into the valve body, because some filters have too small of an o-ring and they don't seal. Best to get a Mopar filter to get it right. I've used duralast filters, but I've had to double-stack the o-rings on the filter to get it to seal. With a low fluid level, mine was sucking air and losing drive while cruising in a parking lot.

Some will seal the pan to the transmission with silicone and that's fine, but i prefer to use the rubber gasket that is available. I soaked the pan bolts in gas to clean them, dried them, and wrapped each one with 1 1/2 bolt turns of teflon thread tape to act as a threadlocker and prevent them from loosening up. It has worked great and no more leaking.

The hard shifting could be other issues, but the best and cheapest thing to try first is deferred maintenance. The transmission takes ATF+4 fluid only. 4 or 5 quarts should be enough for a pan drop and filter. I used 7 quarts when I did my fluid and filter change, but I also removed/resealed the differential cover and added a 4th gen van external transmission cooler under the bumper (and deleted the tiny stock one and the lines going through the radiator).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts