The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Vendor
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 86 D100 that spent 99.9% of it's life in TN. So, for an IOWA guy like me, it's cherry. The paint is badly faded and wearing off, exposing metal, but I can live with that. I will buff what I can, as I live shiny paint. Maybe I'll spray clear coat over the bare spots to at least provide some protection.

It has a slant 6 with a manual 3 speed with OD. Any of you out there fixed one of these up? Any one do any slight hot rodding with a slant 6?

Any ignition or spark plug recommendations? How about cab and intake mods?

Look forward to visiting with you about this. I'll post a pic later.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Reading some old hot rod magazines, there was a crap load of mods for the slant 6. there was even dual 4bbl intakes, headers, cams. So I recommend you do a web search for slant 6 mods and parts.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Reading some old hot rod magazines, there was a crap load of mods for the slant 6. there was even dual 4bbl intakes, headers, cams. So I recommend you do a web search for slant 6 mods and parts.
There was a discussion on one of the threads, yesterday, about slant 6's and a link to a page full of mods. Anyone recall that link ?

·
Vendor
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here she is

Paint is bad, and it runs rough, but it's mine!!!

Attachments

·
1000 Post Club Member
1,985 Posts
That appears in excellent shape.I remember a young family in town bought a new 1980 red D100 Prospector slant-6/3 speed 2wd short bed back in the day,and it fell apart in less than 2 years.It was total base model (except for the promotional Prospector package offered at the time),not even a rear bumper.I could not believe the rust starting so quick,and the engine would start/run rough and weakly,nearly stalling every time the clutch was engaged.Those poor newlyweds had to replace it in just 2 years.

·
AMC Nut stuck in a Dodge
1,224 Posts
It still has the cool RAM head hood ornament. Nice find:ThumbsUp:

·
Registered
50 Posts
A guy I worked with a few years back had an '84 D100 with a Slant 6 and automatic. He was on a budget and just wanted a bit more oomph to it. Here's what we came up with:

Super Slant 6 manifold from a '79 Volare sedan
2 barrel carb from an 318 '83 Gran Fury (to keep the ECM operational)
Accel 8.8 spiral core RFI wires (universal set) with Champion platinum plugs
Slant 6 headers (3 to 2 to 1) with true dual with Thrush turbo mufflers

We got the intake from my neighbor for $20 bucks including all the linkages, the carb was $20 plus the rebuild kit (can't recall how much, maybe $15 at the time), and sourced the headers from a swap meet for $30. It still wasn't a neck snapper, but it could at least merge onto the highway a bit easier and could more easily keep up with traffic.

Aaron

·
Vendor
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Iowa trucks tend to rust quickly as well. You don't see many of these old girls on the road, so when I found a Tennesee import on Craigslist, I had to jump.

The plan is to scour the local junk yards for a super six intake and carb, and then order up some headers. The emission junk to the cat is all messed up, and well beyond figuring out how to piece it back together, so I will strip it, and plug the holes. I'll have to save the parts in case mandatory Federal testing goes into effect, which I am sure will come someday.

The truck spent one winter here, and I can already see the rust forming underneath. I plan on getting active with a wire brush and some rust preventer, and actually painting the cab floor with good ol spray paint. If I even drive it in the winter, it will be when there is no salt on the road, so further damage will not occur.

One has to be careful when buying a toy. It can occupy the mind too much. I just discovered Rock Auto and spent lunch hour doing too much dreaming.

THanks for the kind words.

·
AMC Nut stuck in a Dodge
1,224 Posts
I love these old Dodge Pickups. I loved how they used to customize them right from the factory and give them cool names like " The Little Red Express" w/ smoke stacks, or the Warlock and so on. What happened the creativity that used to come from Chrysler back in the day?

·
Vendor
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You need to buy that and restore it!! Seems to be in decent shape.

·
Minivan Beater
779 Posts
CaravanRT has the right idea about beefing the engine up, also make sure the valvetrain is adjusted. On top of those mods i'd maybe have the head machined and clean up the ports. A bit of work and it'll run like snot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts