The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster to the forums... and thanks to a purchase last Saturday, first-time minivan owner and a first-time Chrysler owner.

My wife and I bought a '12 T&C Touring with the SafetyTec package, Crystal Blue Pearl exterior color and black/graystone interior (with light graystone seats).

I have read through many posts here, talked to people at the dealership and scoured both the Chrysler T&C brochure and website. Does anyone know why some T&C Tourings get 16" wheels vs. 17" wheels?

Our has the 235/60R16 with Kumhos and was the only T&C the dealer could find with my wife's preferred color combination. The 16" is listed as a "package" in the T&C brochure but isn't broken out on my window sticker. I would have preferred the 17" wheels, which seem to come with Michellins.

Some Tourings have a sticker (US) of $30,930 while others have $30,830. Ours was $30,930, but I saw others with the same MSRP with the 17" wheels.

Doesn't really matter as we already took delivery... just curious.

Thanks.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Some Tourings have a sticker (US) of $30,930 while others have $30,830. Ours was $30,930, but I saw others with the same MSRP with the 17" wheels.
I was told by my dealers, all vans, regardless of anything, that have the same exact price, should have the same exact options.

I notice that seems to be the trend, but as with anything as huge as Chrysler, Im sure that rule has exceptions. "Oops, out of 17"s, throw some 16"s on it!"

·
Registered
217 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Earlier built '12s weren't standard equipped with the HD brake package, so they got the 16" wheels.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the replies. I had ordered the OEM all-weather/"slush" mats and stopped by the dealer today to pick them up. While there I looked into some of the comments above.

@RoutanSEL - I walked around the dealer lot and found two Tourings next to each other - one with 16s and one with 17s. The brakes on the 17s are indeed different. I am not a shadetree mechanic, but it looks like the discs are 1" larger in diameter and the calipers are definitely larger/more impressive.

@DGC - I am not sure why they differ, and the dealer is telling me it is "the luck of the draw", but I don't think it is based on production date. The T&C Tourings on the lot seemed to fall into three different groups, with the last six of the VIN being either 22xxxx, 27xxxx or 30xxxx. Mine is in the 30xxxx range and was in the last shipment received at the dealer. The 22xxxx and 30xxxx all have 16s; only the 27xxxx seem to have 17s.

I did not see any window stickers that listed HD brakes. My window sticker listed "Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Brakes" but some window stickers on the lot didn't even list that. When I registered at https://owners.chrysler.com and pull up my vehicle info it lists the same as my sticker for the brakes, but does list the "HD Radiator" and "HD Transmission Cooler".

Ultimately, I think @CavVet is right. Chrysler is using what they have at that time.

On a side note, apparently the slush mats are not available for the 3rd row in the '12 T&C... they only have last years color available (gray as opposed to black).

So far we are loving the T&C and think it is a tremendous value compared to the Odyssey and Sienna. I just have to get used to the "Chrysler way". :)

·
Registered
994 Posts
Its not that Chrysler says "Oops, out of 17"s, throw some 16"s on it!" production doesn't work like that, each item is strictly accounted for.

The '12 Town & Country Touring comes standard with 16" wheels. 17" wheels are available on the Touring with the Premium Group (sales code ANF) however 17" wheels were not available for order on the Touring model until 3/7/12.

The Touring-L and Limited models come with Anti-Lock 4-Wheel HD Disc Brakes (BR3) standard. The Touring has nti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Brakes (BRE) as standard equipment.

Hope this clarifies some of the inquiries above.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks ChryslerCares. I think it says a lot about the "new" Chrysler that you are taking the time to respond to questions.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I did not see any window stickers that listed HD brakes. My window sticker listed "Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Brakes" but some window stickers on the lot didn't even list that. When I registered at https://owners.chrysler.com and pull up my vehicle info it lists the same as my sticker for the brakes, but does list the "HD Radiator" and "HD Transmission Cooler".
I have already proven that the "HD Radiator" and "HD Trans Cooler" don't exist, see the link on tow packages in my signature below...

Due to this, I am still not convinced of the HD brakes - can someone get some part numbers, pictures and measurements of the HD brakes? I would like to figure out if they can be retro-fitted to vans not originally equipped as such.

Furthermore, when they know there is a problem with the brakes, why would they not just put the supposed "HD" brakes on everything? It really stinks to just have to wait until the rotors warp to go in and get them repaired under warranty... and then know that the same prone-to-fail parts will be installed as replacements.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts