The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I see some threads where people have replaced the factory headrest with a DVD option on 5th gens, but nothing about the airbags, except this warning thread, about air bag light coming on, etc.

I didn't know my '12 GC had headrest airbags, but when trying to remove the headrest, I found that it was plugged in with a two wire harness. No airbag tag on the headrest that I can see... But that warning thread has me worried.

Does the 12 GC have airbag headrests? If so, how are people hooking up the DVD headrests without throwing a light?

Any help is appreciated. Here is a pic of the harness:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I posted this thread with hopes that I would get a quick answer, then went back to searching.

Turns out, it looks like these vans have Active Headrests, and that without them plugged in, you get the airbag light, and the airbags are deactivated, though probably just in the seats.

So, I wasted some money on these headrests, looks like they will be going back or on ebay, and it's not a safe option for 5th gen owners. Bummer, I have a trip coming up. Good thing we have an ipad and a Nexus 7.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well, I posted this thread with hopes that I would get a quick answer, then went back to searching.

Turns out, it looks like these vans have Active Headrests, and that without them plugged in, you get the airbag light, and the airbags are deactivated, though probably just in the seats.

So, I wasted some money on these headrests, looks like they will be going back or on ebay, and it's not a safe option for 5th gen owners. Bummer, I have a trip coming up. Good thing we have an ipad and a Nexus 7.
Your right
The vans do have active headrests and if unplugged the air bag light will light

There is a bypass when using these DVD head rests (I haven't done it but read about it on other forums)

It requires a resistor with the correct ohms rating be connected across the pins of the connector -- it will trick your cars system into thinking the sensor is still connected

Keep in mind your loosing a safety feature which reduces neck injury

This may also effect warranty in some way or form.

Alternatively you could install the standard step back DVD pods that attach to the back of your factory head rest using straps
Not as pretty but get the job done and the kids won't care either way

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is an old thread, but I want to share my experience with my 2012 VW Routan, which is a re-badged T&C. I recently installed front seat covers following the manufacturer's instructions. I could not get the headrests fully out because they were attached by a wire inside the seat.

It turns out that the connection holding in the headrests was the wire that communicates between the airbag computer and the active headrest system in my car. Pulling on that wire somehow damaged one of the headrests and activated the airbag light. I took the car to my dealer who quoted me $1200 to repair the seat and headrest and who warned me that none of the airbags would deploy in an accident if the airbag light was on. This is a minivan I drive my kids in, so no airbags means the car is essentially useless to my family. After doing a lot of research, I ended up sourcing a used headrest on eBay for $120 that fixed the airbag light, but still had to pay the dealer $180 to get the airbag codes read off the computer so I knew which side to fix. The airbag light went off by itself after I installed the replacement headrest. In the end, I paid around $150 for seat covers of poor design with terrible instructions that cost me another $300 in repairs. The instructions did not warn about active headrests, which are a common in Routans, Grand Caravans, and Town and Country minivans. The cover kit also included headrest covers with no warning that they could prevent an active headrest from properly deploying in an accident, causing greater injury to the passengers.

There is a way to fool the airbag computer into thinking the seat still has a headrest by wiring a resistor in, but that would violate federal law and subject you to liability for anyone injured in that seat in an accident.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
RoutanDad
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing