The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Will it fit?

64K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  Ksutton75 
#1 ·
I will be moving my son off to college next week and need some help from the Caravan experts. We will be transporting a full size mattress and box springs. I am wondering if anyone has transported a full size mattress/box springs in a Caravan? It looks like it will fit with the measurements but I was hoping someone can share if they have actually done it. Really don't want to rent a cargo van......Thanks

#2 ·
Caravan or Grand Caravan?

I don't know what the actual measurements of a "full size" mattress and box is, but the interior width of both Caravans is a hair over four feet; the length is eight feet for the Grand Caravan and I believe the length is about six and a half feet for the SWB Caravan.

#4 ·
A full size mattress is 54". You might be able to jam it in if its flexible, but the box springs won't fit. Length is fine, but the width will be a problem.

#5 ·
It will probably fit if you stand it on its side, however, the difficulty will be getting the box spring through an opening into (and out of) the van. I've hauled some fairly good-sized furniture in my 99 GC, but some other things I thought would be OK wouldn't go through any of the doors.

#6 ·
I moved a mattress for a friend in college recently. I believe she had a queen size one. The mattress fit diagonally inside the van and the box spring was strapped on top. I'll try to find the thread I started when I asked the same question.

Edit, I found the thread:
http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/20750-Will-they-fit

#8 · (Edited)
Full size mattress and full size box spring will fit and lay flat in my 3rd gen. A queen sized is slightly wider, it has to sit diagonally.

I would assume that the boxy 5th gen has the same or greater cargo dimensions compared to a curvy 3rd gen.

Full sized mattress is 53"x 75"

As long as it fits through the rear hatch, it will have plenty of room.

#10 ·
We own a 2013 Town and County Touring edition. My husband uses this van like a truck! We rarely ever use the any seats but the driver and passenger, he loads this van down. I think its actually the reason he is not interested in buying a truck. Down side to that is that he recently blew out the rear shocks hauling building materials but they were not expensive to replace. As long as the heaviest of the load is over the back axles, you are good.

#11 ·
Ah so glad I just read your part, why I never took into account the weight of the item I plan on hauling in it is beyond me. LOL. I just want to make sure this tool chest was gonna fit. It will, but it will not be going in with tools or at least not all of them. Thank you Barbara.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.