The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Intermittent front blower

9K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  paart 
#1 ·
My front blower stopped working last week. My husband replaced the blower motor resistor and now the fan works intermittently. It will surge to regular speed for a minute then slow down then speed back up. Help! I have automatic temperature control and have the right part.

#3 ·
That's about the same problem I had. The cause is the blower motor drawing too much current-- a common problem in these vehicles. The excess current caused the controller (it's not a simple resistor in Automatic Temperature Control) to fail. New design replacement controllers have over-current protection that shuts down the blower completely until the controller cools down. A way to check this is to turn the knob to the full speed blower setting. It will probably run at this setting continually, as the controller is effectively bypassed, sending full current to the blower motor.

#4 ·
Replaced the new resistor, but the same problem remained. I bought a new blower motor today and hopefully it will fix the problem. The fan would still fade away on high. I bought the van a few months ago and when I took it in for service they said the cabin filter was the dirtiest they had ever seen and they were surprised it hadn't blown out the blower, so maybe that is the problem. I was not part of that conversation, hubby just told me that one. If you have any other ideas, I am open. Thanks!

#5 ·
I suspect that the new motor will solve the issue. It may have drawn so much current that it overheated and slowed down on it's own. A clogged cabin filter certainly added to the problem. After installing a new motor (and control module) my motor wouldn't run below 50% (halfway on the control knob), without shutting down temporarily. After a couple weeks, however, it resumed proper operation, working at any setting.
I hope the bill for changing the motor doesn't "floor" you! It's held in with three screws, but the book time to change it is something like 3-1/2 hours! The design is idiotic!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.