The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

antifreeze leak Grand Caravan

16K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  kotobide 
#1 ·
Have a slow drip of coolant on my 1999 grand caravan on the passenger side.

Its dripping onto the plastic shielding in the upper corner in front of the the wheel about a foot in from the side.

I cant see anything topside of leakage near the belts or anywhere inside the engine bay by flashlight.

have any ideas?

Trying to determine how much this is going to cost me cause im pretty mechanically stupid

#2 ·
It is likely from the water pump dripping onto the splash shield. I would take a look at it, they have a weep hole on the bottom.

#6 · (Edited)
Get it on a lift as Philip suggests. Shops will usually take a look on your behalf for free. Water pump is most likely culprit. Maybe a small slit in the bypass hose a little lower. Hopefully your ride is a 3.3 or 3.8 liter.

#8 ·
Yes it is a 3.3 and i know its the antifreeze as my temps get hot and i have to add about a gallon of water/fluid to top it off every time.

After i top it off it takes a few days to get low again.

Thanks for all of the assistance hopefully it wont get too costly to replace the pump i don't know how much that would cost me ill have to call around some.

Money is tight at the moment ill have to wait a week or so till i can get it into a shop to get it looked at.

Think ill be ok for a week limping it along on only short trips to the store no long drives ?

#10 ·
Just changed out my waterpump on my '00 Grand Caravan last night (3.8L), it's only $20-25 for the pump, and easy to DIY. Bolts are 10mm for pump body, 13mm for pulley, and a 15mm box wrench to loosen the tensioner to remove the belt. There are small holes on the pulley to stick a screwdriver thru (to keep it from spinning) to take the pulley bolts off. Couple of hours max to do it. It sounds like you already got the antifreeze so go at it.

-Andrew

#15 ·
Not much of a mechanical person by nature i can tear the heck out of PC though lol

went out bought some jack stands cause im paranoid as **** about the van squishing me.

Pulled off the shroud wiped off the hose that i hoped it was and cleaned up the botton of the water pump and sue as most of you have stated its the water pump that has a weeping slow drip in the seam.

Off to pick up a water pump read what a few of you have said about getting it out and watched a youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUoqXAhav90&feature=relmfu looks just like mine seems easy enough (cough) wish me luck and thank you all for the help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.