The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Hood Release Cable Broken.. How can I open Hood

36K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  greensleeves 
#1 ·
I have a '97 grand caravan. the Hood release cable broke.
Does anyone know, how I can open the hood? so I can replace the realease cable and do an overdo oil change...
I've seached the forum with NO luck....:confused:

thanks!!!

#2 ·
hi mate.. you should be able to see through the grill to get a screwdriver in to release the hood, there will probably be cable still attached to the release mechanism try reach through to pull at the cable to release hood, or try get long nose pliers through, (can you reach it from under the front bumper??) my mate reckons to do that is easier, (i dont) good luck let me know how you get on............

#3 ·
greensleeves, thanks for your response.
All I can see thru the grill is the radiator..can't see the latch. this is for a 97...3rd generation. I've read that U can do that with the 2nd generation vans.
where do I look if I go from underneath the car???
thanks

#6 ·
took me forever...

I signed up just to offer you the advice I have from when i accidentally cut my cable while cleaning rust from the strut tower.

Since my cable was cut in the engine compartment I didnt have to do this but you will have to get the cable through the firewall into the engine compartment. Next step is to take a strong wire and bend it over to form a hook. The cable runs along the top of the radiator support next to the headlight and you should be able to pull (yank) the cable out of there. You might break some of the plastic hold down clips but it is worth it.

The best help is if you have a friend with a similar van. I had my friends van parked next to mine while i was doing it.

#7 ·
look through the grill up towards the front of the hood you should be able to see the latch use a long screw driver to push the release catch.. on my 3rd gen you can see it dead clearly.. if you look up from the bottom on your drivers side you should be able to reach the cable to the latch release, so you could if your clever to pull on it to release hood, i would of thought its rare for cable to break anywhere but at the release end thats in the car or at the hood end. good luck with it........:ThumbsUp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.