The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

2008 Town & Country transmission dipstick.

30K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  kenhanlon 
#1 ·
Hi,
I'm sure you will be able to tell by my post that I am not a mechanic in any way so please be patient with me. I recently purchased a 2008 Town & Country van and we love it. This past Saturday I thought I would check the transmission fluid and spent 45 minutes trying to find the dipstick and never found it. Am I missing something here? Does my van have a dipstick? If not..how the heck am I supposed to check the fluid level? THanks in advance for any help or assistance.

#3 ·
The fluid level is preset at the factory and does not require adjustment under normal operating conditions. It is a sealed system, routine fluid level checks are not required, therefore the transmission filler tube is capped and no dipstick is provided. Your authorized dealer can check your transmission fluid level using a special service dipstick or you may purchase one if you like to check the fluid level yourself.

#5 ·
UN4-

Google "9336 dipstick" or "62TE transmission dipstick".

There's lots of aftermarket ones listed, varying from ~$32-70.

The thing that scares me is, even the factory write-up states the dipstick doesn't seat all the way. You basically have to feel/listen for it to touch bottom. Seriously? They don't have a real ATF dipstick that you can replace the stupid "see dealer" cap with?

Not only that, you're supposed to refer to a temperature chart to approximate how may millimeters of ATF level are supposed to show on the stick. Like I've said in other threads, I understand these transmissions route fluid different ways depending on their temperature, which will account for a small level change, but this whole process is made out to be more complicated than it needs to be.

If ATF expanded and contracted as much as they want us to think it does, there'd be bottles breathing on the shelves.

#7 ·
The aftermarket dipstick was referenced in the link above
------------------------------------
You can get a dipstick to check the fluid for under 20 bucks now.
Dorman started carrying them.
part number: 917-327

http://dormanproducts.com/carquest/p...ake=VOLKSWAGEN
click on detailed applications, and you will see the 5th gen listed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.