The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

FOB key replacement

10K views 30 replies 7 participants last post by  Flash 
#1 ·
Well with the first real trip with the 2014 van and the wife has already misplaced her key. What am I looking at for a replacement?

#2 ·
From the dealer a few hundred bucks

Call your dealer and see if you can bring in your own new key to have them program it. If they are agreeable to this, you can get a new key or keys off ebay. The basic keys are about $20 and the remote keys are about $70. You would then need to bring all your keys and the van to the dealer to have them program them to work.

#3 ·
Yes they quoted me a price of 200 and $225 for the key. Ridiculous. will query if they will program a key where do I find them on eBay what do I look for?

#5 ·
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

no my mistake typing out reply no $200 they have not answered me yet as to their charge for programing.

#6 ·

You were mentioning a basic key and also a remote key what is the difference? would the basic just start the vehicle and that would be it?

#8 ·
Ones that work for 2011+ will work for the 13's and 14's as well. Here is the difference. I believe you have the base FOBIK key with Lock, Unlock and Panic on your 14.

Basic Key

FOBIK

According to the Chrysler published Labor rates "programming a Fobik" is .75 hours of labor. So if their labor rate is $100/hr, Fobik programming is $75 (which is still insane) $200... I hope their giving you some lube with that *** pounding... INSANE :Wow1:

Reactions: UN4GTBL
#7 ·
A basic key is likely one that will unlock the doors but have no chip or remote. Then again a basic key could be one that has a chip but no remote functions.

Reactions: 08GCSE
#11 ·
When I bought my '12 T&C Touring back in June, I paid about $60 for the 6 button transmitter on Ebay, and my local dealership programmed it for $35. Shouldn't be much more than that. If you need to call around to different dealerships to see if one will give you a lower price.

#12 ·
I paid a planked salmon for a key fob for my 2007. The previous Owner gave me an extra key fob he had for the vehicle, no charge, so I planked a salmon for him, which he and his wife enjoyed for a week.

Offer the guy at the Dealership a planked salmon and see what he says. :)

#13 ·

again dealership wanted two hundred twenty five for just the new key I have not gotten the price from them yet as to bringing in my own key and having them program. I am on the road and when I get home I will give them a call and speak to the more directly rather than speaking to the salesman via text.

#15 · (Edited)
To go one step further - I have a plain no-nonsense key that cost $2.50 that I keep in my wallet.
As my usual problem is that the key is left inside the van, yes, the alarm goes off and I can't start the van - but when away from the house I at least have a way to enter the van to retrieve the dropped fob. I can shut the alarm off when I retrieve the fob. We've never had reason to spend any $ buying either of the two coded keys.

I was at the dealer once getting my oil changed. It was taking a little longer than usual and when the mgr came by I asked what was up. Apparently they locked my key in the car and had to call a locksmith. I told them next time ask because I had the key in my wallet. There were three others in the waiting room and they all had the plain key for the same reason - locking keys in the car.

#16 ·
I have one of those for my Jeep, just an ordinary key, cut to fit. Comes in handy since the Jeep has no remote capabilities. With the remote locking on the two Caravans, locking the keys in the vehicle is about a 1% chance for me. In fact it hasn't happened (YET). :)

#17 ·

yes we have already had the issue of the FOB keep being locked in the van. my wife is just not used to this type of key seems to have trouble keeping an eye on it. we both have some spare keys made to enter the vehicle now.

#20 ·
Well called up the Dodge Dealership today and told them about the lost key. New key $182 plus another $45 to program it. :jpshakehe
I queried about bringing in another key and could they program it. Of course I was given the run around that "it may not work", "we had a guy bring in $200 worth of those Internet Keys and not one of them worked". So, it is sounding like they are not interested in doing it or are trying to scare me out of it & forcing me to buy the other key. My last place to check is closed right now and opens up on Thanksgiving Day til Christmas selling Christmas trees. If they don't have it, I will have to get another key.

#21 ·
To add, when looking on EBay I noticed this statement when looking for Keys:

>>Please make sure that your FCC ID: on your remote match this FCC ID:(M3N5WY783X) to ensure this is the remote key for you.<<

I see no numbers on my remote. What is this FCC ID ??

#26 ·
Nope, still nothing on outside. Wait, I do see something. VERY hard to read though. Gonna have to get some better light.

#29 ·
Well I am dead in the water. The Dealership gave me a part number (56046707AE) then he said he did not really see an FCC # on key he had, but then gave me a YZX. I do see an FCC ID on back of my Key. Place on eBay that had OEM remote keys said that did not seem right. (FCC ID I gave him). Usually it is a 9-10 digit number. Mine is only 7 digits. Also what looks to be a COEFTEL number which did not help.
I have nothing more I can go by. He did mention a PIN # but said he could not give that out to me. I do see a P/N on the back of key. So at this point it appears all I can do it wait for the key from the MIL. Pretty chitty if you ask me. I guess they really changed things for the 2014's ??

#31 ·
Well, I did find a couple places in Gainesville that will program the Key. Anywhere from $50 to $75, but no guarantees and lost of funds if it does not work. Just trust the place in Illinois that it is truly an OEM Key FOB.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.