The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Broken timing belt 120K

8K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  DSMLVR 
#1 ·
I guy I know what $100 for his 95 mini-van. Stop running. Dis, dosen't turn. Sounds like a belt to me......
Should I buy it?.....Replaced the belt on my 98 myself. PITA some what.

#2 ·
Pretty difficult to recommend a purchase, sight unseen. But having said that you'd be sure to have more than 100 dollars in parts on that van. Have a good look at it. If it is ONLY the timing belt, it is likely a good deal. It may be hiding other faults. Be prepared to spend some time & cash on it @ 10yrs old.

#3 ·
It can make a difference in what engine is in that van. IF it is the 4 cylinder, it is an interference engine and a broken timing belt at any speed can cause valve/piston damage. The damage can be severe and cause a couple of thousands of $$ repair to the engine alone.
Here is some good information on this and all timing belts.
http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=2256&location_id=3487

The 3.0 Liter V-6 is not an interference engine but unless you know what you are doing or, at least pretty mechanically inclined, it is a pretty good job to replace the timing belt in this engine. I would also replace the water pump and cooling tube in this engine if it was not change lately, while you are in the process of changing the belt. I am not saying you can't do it, just be aware that it is an pretty indepth job, doing it correctly. ESPECIALLY since the belt is broken already and you have to reset everything.
As far as the rest of the van, you may be needing shocks, struts, and who knows what else. So you see, it is hard for someone on here to advise you adequately in this situation. It is your choice.
Good Luck on your choice. Anyway it goes, we are here to help as much as we can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.