The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Lower Radiator Pipe and Hose

45K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  DWG126 
#1 ·
Anyone ever replace this before? It looks DIYable, but i'm not sure if there are weld points to a bracket. Mine needs to get fixed asap. Its rusted and bubbling up.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
thanks for the link!! im going to coat it with undercoating.

#3 ·
Yes it is replaceable and I did mine earlier this year when the van had no coolant in it. Your gonna need to drain all the coolant. I was only able to find this part at the dealer and I think it was 40 dollars. It didn't take long ether.

#4 ·
is it welded to anything?

#8 ·
LOL, NOW THEY WORRY ME. :help_wsig

#10 ·
I found other posts that people have cut away the pipe and replaced with clamps and heater hose. I thought about doing that if the new pipe was more than $100.

I don't have very much rust on my bolt I don't believe, but a spray of some Seafoam will break it up for sure.

#11 ·
When I changed mine I didn't have a problem with the bolts. Just make sure you get the o ring in there all the way as the first time I put in in there, it was hanging out the back a little. I had to grease it up. Just be careful loosing the bolts and you shouldn't have a problem.

#12 ·
Okay so I went out and purchased the replacement Mopar part for like 30$ with shipping. The removal of the pipe was easy. The two bolts came off no problem and with little torque.

The hose clamp I replaced with the stainless steel screw type. I'm not taking a chance with the OEM clamp. One has already failed me at the upper radiator hose.

I also purchased a can of Dupli-Color undercoating spray and coated the new part liberally to avoid premature rust. I live on the Jersey shore, so I get salt year round. This vehicle only has 67k on it, and this part should have been better protected or made with stainless steel or aluminum to avoid the corrosion you see in the attached pictures.

I'm glad I got to it when I did, because the rusted area had a split in it through at least one layer of metal. This is an easy job for the average DIYer. :headbange

Attachments

#14 ·
Does any one have the part number for this part? Mine is rusted, but I think I also have a cranks shaft oil leak which has coated in oil ever so slightly preventing any further rust, BUT I wouldn't mind fixing it, Also any tips etc, step to replacing. I am a complete amateur. At first I thought this was a oil return tube or someting...yikes.

#15 ·
Bolts being difficult: No more so than the bolts that hold on your belt tensioner and idler pulley. Typical and tend to be easy to remove in my experience.

Undercoating: I wouldn't use undercoating that hardens up, traps moisture and enables rust. I used Fluid Film on mine, sprayed it on and then hand rubbed it to ensure coverage. Surprising how that product hangs in there with the heat. Rust Check - Coat and Protect is a good product to use as well. These products never harden.

Still have the original pipe on my 2002 GC.

#16 ·
mines gave way on the highway making all the coolant leak out and overheat the engine and destroy the OEM water pump. it was rusted pretty bad and i ignored the fact that i had to replace it, and guess what i replaced the radiator 3 days prior to that, the pipe gave way when i was coming back to Toronto from new jersey, and it gave way 5km from the 160,000 km mark. cost me $700 to have 3 major parts in the cooling system replaced all in a weekend.

#17 ·
There's a small pipe on the back side of the engine on my vans to watch out for. The heater pipes connect to it. I believe it's a return line to the water pump. I spray back there with Fluid Film.

Saw a 2001 getting one of those replaced once. If the Mechanic had known to remove the wiper tray he would have made his life a whole lot easier.

#19 ·
Just an update: December of 2018 I replaced this part because of the same rot rust flake and impending doom during a radiator and water pump replacement. The water pump is a PIA but doable.

#20 ·
You can't leave the site, you have too much experience to share. :biggrin:

#21 ·
It's funny, I see the same old posts over and over again, "steering making noise" or "clunking in the front end" etc. so many times I was in that position and got the " ever use the search bar!?"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.