The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

A604 41TE What fits what?

19K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  tysfamily 
#1 ·
I have a 93 Plymouth Grand Voyager with a 3.3. The Trany went out and I bought a used one. It went 1 block and was towed home. Goes in drive when cold but stops once warmed up, haven't goten reverse sence day 1. Anyway I don't have the money for a new one or a new van. I was just wandering what years of 604 will fit this? I was told that 89 to 94 by some and 89 to 95 by others. I was also told that if I rebuild it that i sould use the guts out of a 97 to 99. That the pre 95's were junk, made of light duty steel, and the pump used 3 "O" rings, while the 95 up were more heavy duty with 4 tighter fitting "O" rings. Any thoughts out there to clear my troubled mind?

#2 ·
Chrysler has made many "enhancements" (band aids) to the A604/606 trannies over the years both to the tranny and the software in the TCM. Seal shape and material were changed along with internal parts. The early models had their troubles with software being too "fussy". Would drop the tranny into "limp mode" when nothing was really wrong.

There are no "light" or "heavy" duty 41TE trannies. The "1" in 41TE is the torque rating of the unit. The 42LE (A606) used in the LH cars had a higher rating than the 41TE, hence the "2" in 42LE. The internal design of the two trannies is quite similar.

An overhaul kit should contain the latest design level parts. IMHO,the people you have been talking to have just enough knowledge to be dangerous. Just my $0.02.

FredB

#3 ·
There are no "light" or "heavy" duty 41TE trannies. The "1" in 41TE is the torque rating of the unit. The 42LE (A606) used in the LH cars had a higher rating than the 41TE, hence the "2" in 42LE. The internal design of the two trannies is quite similar.
That's not technically true. The transmission used on the minivans with the 3.3 and 3.8 liter engines were reinforced internally in a couple three ways (although the technical details escape me at the moment).

#4 ·
According to my ATSG manuals, the A604 tranny OD clutch was changed from a 3 disc to a 4 disc unit to handle the higher HP of the 3.3L engine. This was done in 1990. All A604 trannies of any year should have the same internals except for output and transfer gears which vary with engine size. Just my $0.02.

FredB

#5 ·
Per AllPar.com (http://www.allpar.com/model/m/powertrain.html):
  • With 3.3 and 3.8-liter engines, more durable torque converter clutch damper springs are used.
  • Drive Plate With V-6 Engines - All V-6 engines use a lightweight drive plate with lightening holes and a thinner starter ring gear.
I recall reading something on the previous version of the AllPar web site about internal strengthening within the 41TE for the 3.3 and 3.8 liter transmissions, however, the new version of that site seems to have lost (or misplaced) much of the information that used to be available. :(

#6 ·
Here's where I got some of my information http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html
Some of my other information came from ATRA Rebuilders book fior the A604 and from the ATSG New updates and changes for the A604 41TE. They say that the 89 to early 95 A604 were made of light duty parts. To replace the oil pump 3 "O" ring stator with a 4 "O" ring one. Then the input drum must be changed to match..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.