The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Hard first to second gear shift - what to check

29K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  sideburns2009 
#1 ·
My 1998 Caravan Sport has started to shift hard from first to second after it's warmed up, but only under light load. If I give it a little gas and let it shift around 3500 - 4000 rpm, it shifts fine. I've changed the fluid every 30k miles since I bought it new. Could it just be a worn clutch? These 41TE/A604 trannies have a solenoid pack. Can that wear out? I'm trying to keep this thing alive for a few more years so my teenagers have something to drive.

It has the 3.3 liter engine (flex fuel), 201,000 miles and everything works.

#2 ·
The solenoid packs are known to wear and cause shifting issues. If the trans is original to the van, I would say it is a safe bet to replace the pack for $100.

The problem I foresee is teenagers driving the van. Any boys in that group? I just turned 20 and have been driving my van since I was 15. It is a good vehicle to learn on, but if one beats on it (like guys are known to do) it will go to crap very quickly. My van is in poor shape mostly because of me.

#3 ·
My van did the same thing. A rough shift into second.(and also 4th). I took my chances and replaced the solenoid pack. It shifts smoothly through all the gears now. I can't promise you that it will help yours, but like andy said, with that many miles it wouldn't hurt, and it helped mine.

#4 ·
The trans is original. My son has been driving it since he wrecked his car. He doesn't beat on it since he knows it's the only wheels he has until he fixes his car. He works at an auto parts store, so we may just give the solenoid pack a try (20% discount). Is it hard to replace? If I remember right, it's right there when you pull the pan. . .

#5 ·
The valve body is what is under the pan when you pull it. The solenoid pack is on the front of the transmission. It's the big black square on the front.

Here is a thread I started when I changed mine. Lots of info and pics on it:
http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php?t=14810

It's very simple to change. 3 bolts and remove the input speed sensor (i think) as it's in the way. Be sure to spray around the solenoid pack with a water hose or something to clean the dirt from around it so it doesn't get into the transmission when you remove the solenoid. When you remove the old one there will be a seperator plate between the solenoid and transmission. Be sure it comes off. Mine was stuck to the transmission and I hardly noticed it. You won't need it with the new on.

The new pack will have 3 studs that will seem to be in the way but once you get the 3 bolts threaded and started they will push into the solenoid pack as you tighten them. It will come with a new gasket as well and you will not need to reuse the rubber cover that is on it. The plug on the top has a bolt in it that will need to be removed to unplug it from the pack.

#9 ·
That would make since if I had paid attention as the fluid is thicker when it's cold but once it warms it thins and reveals the worn clutches.

As for the solenoid pack plug. I believe the plugs are all the same on all A604/41TE's no matter what the year. A 2007 solenoid pack will be interchangeable with a 1997.

#8 ·
Just an FYI that sometime around '98 or '99 they switched from a pin-style to a spade-style electrical connector on the solenoid pack. If the new one you get has a different style connector, you've got a wiring job ahead of you :)

- G

#10 ·
I changed the fluid an filter about 10k miles ago when I replaced the front tranny mount, so I don;t think it's the fluid. Won't hurt to do it again though. . .I'm guessing the solenoid pack regulates fluid pressure, so if mine has 200+ thousand miles on it, it could be borderline bad. I'm sure I can get one cheap, so why not try it? I may just buy the whole tranny out of the '06 if they're interchangeable. Then I have a spare when the original finally gives up.

#12 ·
The pack is also referred to as the pressure switch assembly at times, so yes I'm assuming it regulates the fluid pressure as well. As for the rough shift into 2nd. I always thought worn clutches shuddered as they weren't gripping instead of just a rough shift. I'm not an automatic tranny pro though.

The 2006 transmission should slide right in, unless they changed the mounts in the 4th gen's, but I don't believe they did. Someone here will know for sure.

It could be bad, but of course with 200,000 miles, so could the clutches.

#14 ·
Well, when you get a code like : PO841 - Low and Reverse clutch Pressure Switch Circuit or PO871 - Overdrive Hydraulic Pressure Switch Circuit, They both point to the solenoid pack and you'll have to replace the solenoid pack to fix it! :)

#15 ·
UPDATE - Got a used solenoid pack off an '04 at the junkyard for 15 bucks and bought a new gasket from the dealer for 5. I also went ahead and grabbed a few EGR solenoids, since mine had a hole in the diaphragm when I took it apart after a P0401 code. Car shifts great now, no sudden jerks into 2nd gear. Not bad for a total of 20 dollars.

#19 ·
My paint is still 100%. I wax it once a year though but it doesn't hardly get washed. Except for the huge dent in the driver side sliding door/rear quarter panel from an idiot that can't back out of a 2 car driveway. It has a small place where the paint chipped off and it rusted. I'm going to clean it up and put some of my high gloss polyurethane over it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.