The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Synthetic oil

34K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Koooop 
#1 ·
The dealer told me the Pacifica required synthetic oil. Is this true? Qwners manual doesn't say this.

#3 · (Edited)
From an online 2017 Pacifica Owner Manual:
We recommend you use API Certified SAE 0W-20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as MOPAR, Pennzoil, and Shell Helix. Refer to your engine oil filler cap for correct SAE grade
NOTE:
Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km), twelve months or 350 hours of engine run time, whichever comes first. The 350 hours of engine run or idle time is generally only a concern for fleet customers
The 2017 Dodge Caravan Owner Manual still calls for 5W-20.
MOPAR SAE 5W-20 engine oil approved to FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix or equivalent is recommended for all operating temperatures. This engine oil improves low temperature starting and vehicle fuel economy.
NOTE: MOPAR SAE 5W-30 engine oil approved to FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix or equivalent may be used when SAE 5W-20 engine oil meeting MS-6395 is not available.
NOTE:
Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km), twelve months or 350 hours of engine run time, whichever comes first. The 350 hours of engine run or idle time is generally only a concern for fleet customers.
Just another extra cost for the Pacifica. 0W-20 can be a synthetic blend as LEVY mentioned: http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produ...zoil-Gold-0W-20-Synthetic-Blend-Motor-Oil.pdf

Synthetic blend motor oils are fairly common. A popular Honda synthetic blend: https://www.amazon.ca/Genuine-Honda-08798-9036-Blended-Synthetic/dp/B007P5RFRO Take a look at the label.

Reactions: JC1
#4 ·
The Pacifica owners manual also states:
Synthetic Engine Oils
You may use synthetic engine oils provided the recommended oil quality requirements are met, and the recommended maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes are followed.
Synthetic engine oils which do not have both the engine oil certification mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number should not be used.

Reactions: Jeepman
#6 · (Edited)
Personally I believe 0W20 has no business being in this engine and in such a heavy vehicle. Honda, Toyota and Subaru have plenty of oil consumption problems with their engines requiring 0W20 oils and in much smaller vehicles as well. Most 0WXX oils have to use a lot of Viscosity Index Improvers and Pour point depressants in order to classify for the 0W rating. While these additives make the oil more pumpable at extremely low temperatures, they degrade pretty quickly and can cause varnish, which can gum up the rings.

However, unlike Honda, Toyota and Subaru, Chrysler has a provision that 5w20 or 5w30 can be used in the owner's manual. So unless I were living in Alaska or in an area where -30F temps are the norm during winter, I would use 5w20 or 5w30 oil in the new Pacifica. My personal choice would be 5w30, which is what I use in my GC.

By the way, the W rating temperatures are as follows and it is plain obvious that anything rated 5WXX will be more than enough for an average winter:

Cold Cranking
0W 6200 at -35C(-31F)
5W 6600 at -30C (-22F)
10W 7000 at -25C(-13F)
15W 7000 at -20C (-4F)

Pumping Viscosity
0W 60 000 at -40C (-40F)
5W 60 000 at -35C (-31F)
10W 60 000 at -30C (-22F)
15W 60 000 at -25C (-13F)

#7 ·
...However, unlike Honda, Toyota and Subaru, Chrysler has a provision that 5w20 or 5w30 can be used in the owner's manual...
That's true for the Caravan and Town & Country but not for the Pacifica.

The owners manual for the Pacifica only specifies 0W-20 oil.

Reactions: JohnnyO
#13 ·
Most of the very thin oils like this use pour point depressants, not viscosity improvers, to obtain their low viscosity rating. That is, they start with a 20 weight oil and add a pour point depressant until it pours like a 0 weight oil at low temperatures. Thus they tend to thicken with age, not thin with age. If you look at the results at Bob is the Oil Guy for oils like these, you can see these ultra-thin oils thickening as they age.

My personal experience with the Pentastar is that it runs quieter on 5w20 than it runs on 5w30 because 5w30 is too thick for the hydraulic lash adjusters and results in them not pumping up adequately when the engine is cold, resulting in a lot of valve clatter. I've never owned one that specified 0w20. I wouldn't hesitate running 0w20 however, because if you look at the specs on 5w20, it's still thicker when cold than is ideal for this engine, and is no thinner when hot than the 5w20 that has proven to work quite well in this engine.

#17 ·
You're right, my information may be out of date, circa 2013 when the only producer of GTL base stocks was Shell and they only used it in their own products. Can you give me some examples of other manufacturers, such as XOM, BP and others using GTL?

As far as GTL being superior to PAO, please stop spreading misinformation. GTL is still a Group III+ and there is a reason why a lot of blenders using Group III and Group III+ also mix PAO, esters or Group V to get the low temperature properties they desire. If GTL was superior, there would be no need to blend with expensive PAOs, esters etc.

#18 ·
a lot of blenders using Group III and Group III+ also mix PAO, esters or Group V to get the low temperature properties they desire.
Group V oils are usually blended into Group III oils due to the detergent qualities of Group V oils, not due to low temperature properties. Low temperature properties are only one of the things that oil manufacturers are trying to do with their formulations. Detergency (to prevent sludge and deposit buildups) and anti-wear/anti-gall properties, for example, being important too.

I'm reluctant to substitute theoretical notions of what things "should" be for what we're seeing on the oil analysis forums, where we're seeing these oils maintain their viscosity rather than thinning out. Indeed, people using oil analysis to test oil change intervals are having to change their oil not because the oil has become too thin, but, rather, because it has become too thick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.