The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Best rotors and pads?

35K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  grimmster 
#1 ·
I installed a set of rotors and ceramic pads two years ago. The rotors are warped badly. I want the best set possible to replace this time around. Any suggestions?

#3 ·
I've never experimented with "brand name" rotors because I've never had to - the "white box' rotors have been fine for me. I will note that I'm not an extreme driver. In my own experience, I used to deal with warped rotors (on other vehicles) until I started hand-torquing lug nuts to spec every time I re-installed a wheel. Once I started that practice, my rotors stopped warping.

I've used Duralast "Gold" line semimetallic pads. They do leave some gray dust (as opposed to what ceramic pads would do), but each set I've installed on the front has lasted at least 40,000 miles and the rears seem to last about double that.

Again, a fair bit of all of that might have to do with my generally non-agressive (though not granny-style) driving. Others mileage will vary and you'll get a thousand opinions.

Nate

#4 ·
I run into a problem where i think my caliper is hanging up. When i did my pads last year on the drivers side only1 side was worn and it was crooked.

#5 ·
Thx for the replies. I think i ordered my rotors and pads through autozone. The pads are ceramic. Within a few months the disc warped and the pads etched a lip on the rim of the disc. Im going with semi metallic next time. I have them on my bmw and they feel great. I will. Ertainly keep the torque recommendation in mind though. Still looking for sugggestions though. I found a pair of brembos for 66$ i might bite on it.

#6 ·
It's been six months since I did a complete front brake job. New pads, rotors, and calipers. I installed the Basic Autozone pads, rotors and rebuilt calipers. My 18 year old son was also driving it every day for five of the six months. I also live in Chicago so it's mostly stop and go. They are still operating with smooth stops and no issues.
Peter

#7 ·
here is another viewpoint ....

I am also not a "extreme" driver , so i special order my pads , as most places don't carry the "non metallic" type pads .
the reason ?? ... I can replace the pads 3 or 4 times for a lot less money than replacing the rotors every other time.
AND since the pads are very easy to change, it takes very little time.
the cheaper pads wear fast .....but the rotors don't with the non ceramic / non metallic pads. so the rotors will go MUCH farther.
I think almost everyone could drive less extreme, and save money at the same time.
don't misunderstand me .. I go the speedlimit , but I try not to tailgate or slide to a stop at lights.
I worked with a guy years ago .. he bought a big heavy station wagon new ,he was a very conservative driver.
100,000 miles later it still had the original pads and rotors and did not need them replaced !
just some thoughts that i believe are worth while. dddon

#8 ·
I can't remember when I last had a warped rotor. It was decades ago.
I have had rust buildup on rotors that had to be chipped off. That caused some shake until removed.
I have had calipers seize and heat the rotors up pretty bad. Still no warped rotors.
Most of my rotors have been while box, made in China likely. Nothing special there. My pads have all been semi-metallic, no ceramics.
I'm with nate95366 above.

#9 ·
I use white box rotors and prime choice ceramic pads. The brake feel is good stoping power great and the ceramic pad are just abrasive enough to keep the rust from taking over the rotors. I am tempted to try the drilled and zinc plated rotors that I see on Ebay. I have had problems with oganic pads melting metalic pads dusting and crumbling and other ceramic pads scoring the rotor or squeeking.
Hank

#10 ·
If I put new rotors I'll get cross drilled and slotted rotors. Maybe ceramic brake pads. But I don't need a brake job yet. Will research on what parts to get though. My minivan is decked out for towing 3800 lbs so I need really good brake action.

My Honda HX - I put EBC pads on them and cross drilled slotted front rotors back around Feb 2008... brake job is still going strong - 27K miles later.

#11 ·
Just my 2 cents after doing many brake jobs on many different types of cars over the years

I don't like ceramic pads......I don't think they stop as well and I think they contribute to warped rotors.
I try to buy zinc coated rotors just because I don't like rust.
I would skip drilled and slotted rotors on a van and go with basic rotors and premium semi-metallic pads.

#12 ·
#13 ·
Edit: my ebc pads and Baer rotors are good for 20K miles more, so maybe you get 50,000 miles out of them. Great brake action though.

#14 ·
Last time I did the front brakes I used BREMBO REPLACEMENT ROTOR and AKEBONO PRO-ACT CERAMIC PADS. That was 6 years ago and about 50000 miles. I have to do them again this summer as I hear the squeak. Not sure how the rotors have survived, but I'll probably just replace them to be safe.

I did the back brakes about 3 years ago and I think I just went with NAPA parts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.