The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Anti Theft light stays on

18K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  jgbat 
#1 ·
Rcently bought a 01 t&c the other night was driving home and the anti theft light came on, everything ran fine but when I got home I shut it off and tried to restart it and it would start and then quit. It would do this 3 or 4 times then would stay running then today it did the same thing but after about 5 starts and stops it wouldnt even crank the motor over until I disconected the battery, it ran then but light is still on and wont restart when I shut it off. Can the anti theft be disconnected? Thanks in advance for any help

#2 ·
You can not disconnect the anti-theft. Question, is your key a grey head key, or a black key? I'm going to assume it is a black head key, and the SKIM portion of the PCM is on it's way out the door... either way a dealer visit is in order, before the SKIM locks everything up and the vehicle will not start again.

#4 ·
Well the grey head key is the key with the chip, so at least your van does have SKIM. Either way, I'd take it in to the dealer. It may be the BCM, but I am going to bet the PCM.

#5 ·
Thank-you jeff for the info took it in today and they said the keys just needed to be reprogramed.Itold them I thought it was the skim, sure enough they reprogramed them and
I tried starting the van and the security system shut me down now they agree with me not sure if they are willing to replace this since I bought it as is.Ive looked everywhere online for a skim can I buy one and install it myself and have them program it? If so where? by the way how do you thank someone I see you were thanked 180 times

#6 ·
After you have 10 posts, there will be a 'thanks' button appear under my post.

Now on to the important part, your van. If you bought it as is, then most likely you are on the hook for repairs. A lot of the the time this is a PCM issue... If you bought the van used at a Dodge dealer very recently, they may offer some assistance... but you did buy it as is. And I really do not think any aftermarket people have the SKIM modules. Plus, like I said, this may be a PCM (Powertrain Control Module = Computer, Brain) issue, and a new SKIM module will not help at all. However since you do have a SKIM key, it very well could be a SKIM module issue.

What is odd, I had 2 people call me at work today, all with 3rd generation vans (I know your's is a 4th), with the same issue. Although I really think it was 2 different people calling about the same van, as this really does not happen often, just to see if they got the same answer... The difference is this person had a black key (no chip) and now the alarm light was on. So the PCM thinks the van has SKIM, and it does not...

#7 ·
Well the good thing is I did get it from a dodge dealer just not sure how much more their gonna want to help. In the short time ive had it theve already replaced a faulty gas filler pipe, can they test the system to know for sure its the SKIM or the PCM. If im going to be on the hook for this I relly dont want them guessing. I'm really starting to fear its the PCM and I think I saw somewhere that there around 1600. Thanks again for all your help.

#8 ·
Lord yeah, they are factory trained with factory tools. They will be able to find the exact issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.