The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

2002 Caravan P1684 & P0456 codes

14K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  UN4GTBL 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Had a text from a friend late last night telling me the engine light in the '02 Caravan she is driving is on. It has the 3.3 V6 with 4-speed auto.

I walk her through a "key dance" and she gives me the two codes that show up:

P1684 - seems to be related to the battery being disconnected/low voltage

P0456 - seems to have to do with the gas cap most of the time, although there are a couple other things that can cause it. I had her give the gas cap a good twist as well.

She said that somebody else was driving the van, and may have filled it up with gas, but she wasn't sure.

Also, the van does start funny, as in, it takes some time to start usually.

Any ideas? I did a quick search, but didn't find anything concrete.

See less See more
#2 ·
The P1684 is "Battery Disconnected Within Last 50 Starts". Could be a poor connection at the battery terminals. I would pull and clean the connections, and if possible have the battery tested. Leaving the battery disconnected for 15-20 minutes should clear that code.

From obd-codes.com:
"Usually this P0456 code is caused by an incorrect or faulty gas cap. Filling the fuel tank with the engine running could conceivable cause this code as well or if the cap wasn't properly tightened. Any of the following could also be the cause:
  • A small leak in any of the EVAP hoses or fuel tank hoses
  • A small leak in the purge valve or vent valve
  • The EVAP Canister may be leaking"
I've heard that overfilling the tank ("over-topping") is another possible cause for EVAP system problems. The hoses on the EVAP system are the first place to look; fair number of reports that the hoses are prone to crack at the connection points.

Also, the van does start funny, as in, it takes some time to start usually.
I know that's one of those hard-to-describe issues, but if you could flesh some detail in, it would help.

Reactions: UN4GTBL
#3 ·
Thank you!

I was looking on obd-codes.com as well, and came upon the same thing.

I told her to bring the van to me after work today, I suspect that the battery terminals are a problem. I've only heard the van start a couple times, and its never a smooth operation. It always sounds like its got a dead battery.

If I disconnect the battery, would it remove the P0456 code as well? I'm wondering if it was a gas fill-up related issue. Mind you, it could be a hose, will have to check it out.

#4 ·
I told her to bring the van to me after work today, I suspect that the battery terminals are a problem. I've only heard the van start a couple times, and its never a smooth operation. It always sounds like its got a dead battery.

If I disconnect the battery, would it remove the P0456 code as well? I'm wondering if it was a gas fill-up related issue. Mind you, it could be a hose, will have to check it out.
Leaving the battery disconnected should clear all the codes.

My '99 GC was a battery-eater: no more than four years out of any battery I put in it. I'm going to treat our '01 T&C the same way. I'd really recommend pulling the battery and having it tested. One thought I had was a low/marginal battery might not be giving enough power to the system at key-on for the fuel pump / EVAP system to cycle properly..

#8 ·
Oh ok. I can hear the one in my car, so was hoping it would be the same for her van.

48,000 veiws and counting:

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sh...e-system-very-small-leak?highlight=small+leak

my hoses/clamps going to the LDP under drivers seat needed attention. Did not have the hose under the air filter box problem. (page 16 has all you need to know)
Oh boy, thanks!

She took it in to a "garage" today and they figured it was just the gas cap, so she's going to keep an eye on it.

Thanks again.

#7 ·
Reactions: UN4GTBL
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.