The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Integrated power module failure

49K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  RIP 
#1 ·
Anyone have integrated power module failure? Mine burned up at the transmission relay.

I was diagnosing why I was in limp mode and had transmission relay codes P0888 and P0891 and discovered the melted relay. I disassembled the IPM and found the circuit board burned. It has an open circuit for the transmission relay ground and the relay is melted.

Just would like to know how common this is? The part is about $250-300 new. I may try a "hack" of sorts by bypassing the bad part of the circuit board just to get the vehicle on the road until I can get the new part.

Thanks in advance

#3 ·
Yep, sorry it is a 2003 with 3.3L

I think the IPM was the first to fail. It is full of rot on top of the circuit board. The whole board looks about to fail. 7+ years of Michigan will do that, I guess.

Thank goodness I do not have the Infinity stereo, I re-purposed the unused output pin of that relay for the ATX ground pin, I soldered a jumper wire between the two terminals inside the IPM. I then had to move one wire (blk-org) from the tan connector to the black connector under the IPM and it all works great now with no codes.

I ordered the new IPM and will install it once it warms up. List price $309, local price $390 (not kidding!) I got it online for $212.

#5 ·
Why I do not think it was the relay that started it, is the load side of the relay (terminal 30), not the coil side, that appeared hot and no fuses blew. The A/C and a couple other relays in the box had pins that were very green and corroded. No grease on any terminals, that in itself would have prevented a majority of the issue.

I had never seen this before, and was just wondering how common it really was. Nothing much came up on Google, but there were a few "mystery" or "phantom" electrical issues on Caravans that seem similar to what I had. PT Cruisers and Ram trucks with IPM problems did come up but I am not sure if they have a similar architecture.

I was an auto repair tech, and now teach auto mechanics. It is nice to give my students tips and pointers of common failures. If this is a one off thing, I hate to mention it.

#6 ·
Where did you see it online for $212?

#8 · (Edited)
I replaced my TIPM ( Total Integrated Power Module) on my 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan with 3.3L and I also got a good deal online for A New TIPM for about $270. I'm not a mechanic but have recently tried to do routine maintenance on my van but this was totally advance for me but I ended up doing this TIPM replacement after it was diagnosed at my Chrysler-Jeep Dealership: of course they wanted to charge me $790 for this job. What was interesting about my old TIPM was that the inside circuits were burned and was some parts were actually starting to melt. I don't have pictures of my old TIPM but I took it apart to see why it was going crazy with my electrical devices. I had many electrical issues with my van by the time it was diagnosed that I had a bad TIPM. My first problem was that my A/C controls would malfunction, for example I would have A/C blowing in the rear but not In the front, but some days everything would be working perfectly. Then my electrical problems became more numerous, were I my front headlights would turn off by itself when I was driving. They continued to flicker on and off for two months and it was hard to replicate in the dealership. So needless to say I was in-&-out at my dealership until they finally dignosed my bad TIPM when My car's engine would turn off by itself, even when driving on the freeway but could quicly turn It ON by shifting to neutral. That's my story the end....

#9 ·
Update: the part came in just after I posted way back in January. It was so darn cold the last couple months I did not even attempt to swap it out until last week. (it finally got to a balmy 40 degrees here in Michigan) It was an easy swap except for the silly electrical connector locks (those darn red tabs) that were hard to remove. It took about all of 20 minutes to change it.

My "temporary" fix held up just fine, and in a way I was contemplating just leaving well enough alone. At least I can be assured it will not die at some inopportune moment now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.