No heat - maybe bad blend door linkage

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No heat - maybe bad blend door linkage

Thanks

No heat - maybe bad blend door linkage

I've been procrastinating on repairing my 2003 DGC SE 3.3L that right now has no heat. Winter's approaching soon and it won't be fun without some nice warm air.

I've checked the coolant level, it's OK. Both input and output heater hoses at the firewall are hot so I don't think the heater core has any obstructions. I am fairly certain the blend door is stuck in a position to allow only cold A/C through. Prior to the problem initially seen last Spring, I had heat (HOT!) and over the course of 1-2 days it started getting flaky whenever I moved the manual temperature control dial. Then the heat finally quit, or more accurately I'd say it was stuck on cold.

I recently pulled some of the lower dash components off and looked at the blend motor and linkage on the driver side and the linkage end of the motor had what looked like a plastic geared wheel and there was nothing attached to the other end. I stuck my finger into a hole on the main housing(?) where the motor normally attaches and could feel the linkage that was likely once connected to that geared wheel on the motor. (Perhaps the act of pulling the motor off the housing made the blend door linkage fall off???). Of course, getting to it would take a major tear-down of the dash. There isn't anything in the Dodge Factory Service Manual to provide that level of detail so I don't really know exactly how the motor and blend door linkage come together to move the blend door. In fact, I couldn't even find the blend door.

I have not checked the actual motor itself, I'll assume it is OK for now since I *think* the linkage is the problem.

OK, long story short, has anyone pulled apart the dash and had to reattach linkage for the blend door? I'd like to get some ideas before I punt and take it to a Dodge service shop for a diagnostic estimate. Quite frankly, it doesn't look like a trivial task and may be a lot more involved than I want to take on.

My van is an SE model with a single zone heating system and there is only blend door and motor on the driver's side of the radio console.

-Dave
    Dave
    • 2003 DGC SE 3.3L - 248K miles and still strong
    • 2003 Nissan Frontier 2.4L - 186K miles
    • 2005 Ford Focus - 158K miles
    • 2008 Honda Civic - 90K miles

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

So far, no responses and no solution, yet. The urgency to get it fixed hasn't been so great now that the family's daily driver is an '08 Civic. The van has been relegated to part-time driving use.

I tried to sell it but for the prices I have been offered ($2K max) I'd much rather keep it as a spare vehicle. It's still runs great and I know all of it's history.

Anyway, I made another attempt to diagnose the problem. So far I notice this:

- temperature gauge is normal, just below the 1/2-way mark.
    - coolant level seems to be normal, both in radiator and in the overflow reservoir.
    - upper radiator hose is hot.
    - both input and output heater hoses are hot. The heater core itself is also hot.
    - all HVAC control servos seem to be working, especially the temperature control servo. I checked each control individually and I could hear a servo whirring when the control position was moved.
    - I ran the blend door calibration procedure, it operated in the normal time frame (under 2 minutes) and came up with no error codes.
    - still no heat, only cool or cold air!

Has anyone pulled apart the dash to fix either the door itself or the linkage between the servo and the door? Or, has anyone had a similar problem repaired by a service shop? I'm tempted to take it to a dealership and spend the $90 or so for a diagnosis. Hopefully they will either come back with some relatively easy fix that I've overlooked, or come up with the same diagnosis as I expect to hear (blend door not moving due to broken door or bad linkage) with a repair price that isn't too outrageous.

Anyone have any similar experiences with the HVAC or a dash teardown?
    Dave

Thanks

Sounds like you may have a diaphram leak, or vacuum leak from the controls to one of the louvers. I had heard of a TSB about the seal, on some models, that tends to loosen and block the functionality of the mixing door. May just want to stop by the dealer's and ask some questions. Some info is free.

Give it a couple of days, you'll get more ideas from forum members.

Best wishes
    1990 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE 3.3L LWB-- 222,222 miles and counting ......
    Still Going Strong

Thanks

According to the FSM, all doors in the HVAC system directing air into the cabin are servo-driven rather than a vacuum driven. I'm at a point where I'll have to hit up one or more dealerships for some service advice, maybe they will give away a few nuggets of information that will allow me to fix the probllem. Right now though, I'm fairly convinced the linkage on the servo motor is not attached to the door; I can see there is a toothed gear on the servo but whatever it normally attaches to seems to have fallen into the distribution system, and that sucker is buried deep under the dash. I don't mind taking a few things apart, but disassembling the entire dash to get to that is beyond my comfort level. Just maybe I can find out a way to reattach linkage without going through that hassle.
    Dave

Thanks

I've gone digging again under my dash to look further into why my blend door is not functioning, or more appropriately why I don't have even the slightest indication of heat or temperature variation. It's always cold. Moving the manual temperature control dial causes the blend door motor to move back and forth as expected. That appears to be good. However, and this is the odd part, the geared wheel on the end of the servo motor is attached to nothing. It is clearly meant to engage something in the AC/heater box but there is nothing but a hole and nothing immediately inside the hole to engage. There is no linkage anywhere to be found. The adjacent servo motor controlling the different vents has a complex gearing mechanism but I don't see anything for the blend door. In fact, I don't even see a blend door, per se. I don't see any moving doors or parts except for the venting servo mechanism.

So, what does the blend door look like? BTW, I am observing everything under the dash on the driver's side, next to the heater core. I have an FSM but even that is vague on how the actuator motor attaches to the AC/heater box and/or door. There is mention of a blend air door shaft and I suspect that piece is gone, perhaps it came loose and was swallowed up by the AC/heater box. I have no intention of pulling apart the entire dash to get into that box but also have no plan to pay someone $1000 to do it either.

Has anyone attempted to fix a blend air door? Ideas are welcome.
    Dave

Thanks

Sounds like it's time to visit the Bone Yard and see if you can find a similar vehicle and pull the entire box out and do a swap. OR worse case, take a look at the configuration of one intact and see what's missing on yours.

Best Wishes
    1990 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE 3.3L LWB-- 222,222 miles and counting ......
    Still Going Strong

Thanks

bump.............

Sorry I don't have any solutions for you Dave. The only blend door I've had to work on was my Merc Sable and it was quite obvious and could be manually moved by reaching under the dash.

I'm surprised their hasn't been more suggestions in the length this has been posted?!?!?! Maybe goes to the reliability of this component and thus the near total lack of suggestions from forum members..........

Merry Christmas
    Rich
    2003 Chrysler T&C Limited, 3.8, 175k miles

Thanks

Well, I broke down and had a dealer service department look it and they confirmed what I already knew: the blend door was broken and it was stuck in a position that blocked all warm air. Their repair estimate: $1400. Eeek! I paid for their diagnosis effort and brought it back home to mull things over.

I am at least thankful this is no longer a daily driver vehicle and the fact it doesn't get too cold here in Virginia so it will get driven on occasion over the winter. So now the plan looks like I will wait for Spring and then pull apart the entire dash to get at the heater box and make the repairs. Right now, I simply do not have the motivation (or desperation) to tackle a 2-day job.
    Dave

Thanks

'03 Town and Country Passenger side heat--cold only

The Manual control for the passenger side of our T&C doesn't change the air temp coming out of the heater--fine for summer, but winter is coming and we're in northern Minnesota.

Any help will be much appreciated.

What's the easiest way to access the blend door/actuator for the passenger side? Is it found on the passenger side under the dash?

How much will I need to take apart to find it? I know that I'll need to disconnect the negative battery terminal to prevent being punched in the face by the airbag.

Please give me any suggestions and help. Thanks for your time.

Dudley

Thanks

Not sure if this will work but Ford has issues with broken stuck blend doors and people found a way to cut the blend door out from the box and slide a new one in and glue the housing back together without removing the HVAC box. If there is a will there is a way.
    2002 Chrysler T&C bought new end of 2001.
    3.8 L 108,000 avg. fuel eco. 22.4

2009 Pontiac G8 GT fuel economy not determined yet, currently 22 mpg

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply