WHY??? Speedometer Needle Reset

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WHY??? Speedometer Needle Reset

Thanks

WHY??? Speedometer Needle Reset

I walk outside last evening to hear my neighbor cussing while under the hood of his 2001 GC with 105k on the ticker. So, I walk over and see if I can be of help.

His speedo needle is on the wrong side of the needle. I laughed and showed him how to fix it. Thank you chryslerminivan.net.

This leads me to my why question. I have personally owned 45 automobiles and have fixed at least that many others for others. I have NEVER heard of such a stupid failure with such and easy fix. Fine it is easy to fix but........

Why did Chrysler have to make the IP that way? Why on some vans does the IP prevent the vehicle from even starting? Seems to me like a stupid thing to be dependent on.
    2010 Honda Oddy LX - 9k miles - Land Barge
    2008 Honda Fit Sport - 31k miles - What a riot!
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser - 292k miles - Tank
    Gone - 2001 DGC Sport 3.3L 169K

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Unfortunately, the electronics that "the powers that be" have piled on these wonder wagons don't always work as advertised. They are suseptable to power surges and below spec voltages usually caused by poor connections or weak batteries. The self test feature is there to help us overcome these glitches. I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. Just throwing my two cents on the table.

As far as the IP causing no starts etc, all I can come up with is it appears it was all an attempt to improve mileage and cutting pollution by eliminating quite a bit of wiring, inturn, weight. I'm talking about the CCD multyplex data bus. Depending on the fail mode, if the bus fails you get no starts. Unfortunately that means obscure units can cause seamingly unrelated problems.
    ******** We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. You'll help hundreds. ********

**** Follow all prescribed safety procedures before attempting any repairs. If in doubt, refer to a maintenance manual. ****

96 Gr Caravan LE 3.8, 206K miles
    07 Fusion / 06 RAV 4 / 06 Accord / 94 Camry

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by averkam View Post
    I walk outside last evening to hear my neighbor cussing while under the hood of his 2001 GC
    Did you learn any new phrases?

Quote Originally Posted by averkam View Post
    His speedo needle is on the wrong side of the needle. I laughed and showed him how to fix it.
    If you just recalibrated the pod, you fixed the symptom, not the actual problem. His battery is getting weak (or he has a bad connection).

<cue the ominous church chorus> The needle flipping is a SIGN... it's a weak battery that, if left unheeded, will result in more cussing when the car doesn't start.

Years ago (the 80s), when the battery got weak, the period radios would lose all their preset memory, and you knew it was time to find a good sale on a battery. In these vans it's the speedo needle jumping at engine start that gives the same indication. (It probably jumped for months before it flipped all the way around to the dark-side of the instrument!)

Hey, anybody remember the REALLY old days when slow cranking meant the battery was getting old?

I'm with Shipo or whoever, that recommended replacing the battery every five years regardless. There are just too much electronics that can get flaky when the voltages drop....
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    Northern NJ
    2002 Grand Caravan ES "Extra Special"...
    Blue
    3.8L, Touring Suspension, 17" Alloys, and Autostick

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carbuff2 View Post
    Did you learn any new phrases?

If you just recalibrated the pod, you fixed the symptom, not the actual problem. His battery is getting weak (or he has a bad connection).

<cue the ominous church chorus> The needle flipping is a SIGN... it's a weak battery that, if left unheeded, will result in more cussing when the car doesn't start.

Years ago (the 80s), when the battery got weak, the period radios would lose all their preset memory, and you knew it was time to find a good sale on a battery. In these vans it's the speedo needle jumping at engine start that gives the same indication. (It probably jumped for months before it flipped all the way around to the dark-side of the instrument!)

Hey, anybody remember the REALLY old days when slow cranking meant the battery was getting old?

I'm with Shipo or whoever, that recommended replacing the battery every five years regardless. There are just too much electronics that can get flaky when the voltages drop....
    Good advice. I did tell him to replace his battery but did not know that the needle flipping was one of the indicators. I just looked at the battery and saw lots of crap on the terminal (another old indicator that the battery was headed out).
    2010 Honda Oddy LX - 9k miles - Land Barge
    2008 Honda Fit Sport - 31k miles - What a riot!
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser - 292k miles - Tank
    Gone - 2001 DGC Sport 3.3L 169K

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carbuff2 View Post
    I can attest to that. When I was having battery cable problems on our '07, the needles would rotate clockwise all the way to the right, then "reset" back to the left when the engine started. Seemed to be related to the bad battery connection.
    '11 Toyota Camry | 2.5/6AT | Sandy Beach
    '07 Chrysler T&C | 3.8/4AT | Cognac Crystal
    '05 Acura MDX | 3.5/5AT | Billet Silver
    '97 Dodge Dakota | 5.2/4AT | Emerald Green

Thanks

...Hey, anybody remember the REALLY old days when slow cranking meant the battery was getting old?

I say we revert to 6 volt systems. Talk about slow crankin'!! But they'd always start...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperell View Post
    ...Hey, anybody remember the REALLY old days when slow cranking meant the battery was getting old?

I say we revert to 6 volt systems. Talk about slow crankin'!! But they'd always start...
    I have a friend with a 53 DeSoto that would argue with you on that!
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    Northern NJ
    2002 Grand Caravan ES "Extra Special"...
    Blue
    3.8L, Touring Suspension, 17" Alloys, and Autostick

Thanks

I need some help. Speedo is jumping erratically when driving and transmission shifting a little hard. The engine light came on P1684 indicating battery disconnnect. It i9s raining and wet so I expect some electrical issue. Transmission fluid is not burnt.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mjt View Post
    I need some help. Speedo is jumping erratically when driving and transmission shifting a little hard. The engine light came on P1684 indicating battery disconnnect. It i9s raining and wet so I expect some electrical issue. Transmission fluid is not burnt.
    Sounds like the output speed sensor is headed south. It's the sensor on the far right front to the right of the shift lever on the 4 speed 41TE tranny. Easy screw out screw in change. Check the connection and wire harness first if you decide to change it. This sensor is the sending unit for the speedometer and the Transmission Control Module uses it to determine shift points.

Did your engine light come on and go off? A P1684 code normally won't turn on the light. It means the Powertrain Control Module momentarily lost power. The usual reason is the battery was disconnected.
    ******** We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. You'll help hundreds. ********

**** Follow all prescribed safety procedures before attempting any repairs. If in doubt, refer to a maintenance manual. ****

96 Gr Caravan LE 3.8, 206K miles
    07 Fusion / 06 RAV 4 / 06 Accord / 94 Camry

Thanks

I would suggest checking the battery terminal connections to make sure they are tight. Lots of strange things can happen if your battery is not connected tightly.
    Michael
    Centreville, VA
    Currently driving:
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, 99K mi.
    Former owner of:
    1988 Dodge Caravan SE, 2.5L I4 (1988-1995, 99K mi); 1995 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE "Rallye", 3.3L (1995-2004, 169K mi); 2003 Grand Caravan Sport, 3.8L, (2004-2008, 106K mi), 2008 Nissan Quest, (2008-2010, 25K mi)

Other vehicles:
    2008 Lexus RX400h (Dark Gray), 65K mi; 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT (Blue), 65K mi

+ Reply to Thread