The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Codes P1684 and P0456

33K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  spacecoast 
#1 ·
The engine light came on today. A check for codes using the on-off-on-off-on "key dance" method gave me codes P1684 and P0456 (small leak detected in EVAP {Evaporative Emission Control} system), in that order. The P1684 code seemed to be in error as the battery hasn't been disconnected for several months. I re-tightened the gas cap in case someone had been fooling around with that. The codes remained.
Then went on a trip that took about two hours and upon returning home, disconnected the negative terminal of the battery for 10 minutes to see if the P0456 code would go away.
The code did go away and P1684 remained, which is expected.
Notes:
- The negative terminal on the battery wasn't all that tight so maybe a battery disconnect got registered, helped by the damp humid weather of late. Otherwise it was a glitch.
- The P0456 code may have been a glitch as well or may have been associated with the gas cap.
Question: If these were glitches, are they indicative of something else that may need attention or should I just keep on motoring as if they had never happened?

#2 ·
Jeepman, Did you do a search on the 0456 code? I just got that code today. After searching the forum, found a very informative thread by superjett. There is a section of hose right under the air intake box, it has a green vent cap on it. If you look closely you will probably notice that section of hose is all dried and cracked. Several have replaced this section and taken care of their problem. Hopefully will work for me too. Also learned that the system undergoes a pressure test so often and when the ambient temp is below a certain level. Things are starting the fall cool down here in North East Ohio so thats probably what happened to me - cold enough to finally do the test, hose is cracked.:)

#4 ·
Mine seemed to be temporary, a glitch I guess. Hasn't happened since I tightened up the negative battery terminal.

#5 ·
Take a look at my original Post for the method. Then look at your odometer, turn your radio up loud to hear a voice with a German accent giving you instructions (just kidding about the radio).
The Haynes Manual has the codes. So does Allpar.com

#6 ·
im going to buy that haynes repair manual next weekend.. i notice my canadian tire has it.. im sure it will come in handy. so can one do this key dance at any time to get a code or do you have to have a engine check light on in order to do the key dance and give a code number

#7 · (Edited)
Any time at your leisure. Show your Kids or Grandkids how smart and technically advanced you are by demonstrating the process to them. :biggrin:
Take a look at this site:
http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes.html

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0601

Guess that's two sites, my math is off today. Have a great one. Sunny here. :thumb:

As to the Haynes Manual, I would get the 2003 thru 2006 rather than the 1996 thru 2002. I have both. The 1996 thru 2002 is more intended for the 3rd Generation.

Well, off to do some body work on my Van.

#8 ·
P0455 codes

I finally gave up after changing several hoses and took the van to the dealer. They say that I have to change to gas filler tube. Cost for the part is $350CDN. With labour the total repair is going to cost me $650. Yikes!! My van is an 01 with the 3.3L engine. Has anyone changed the filler tube themselves or am I better off getting the dealer to change it. They are quoting me close to 3hrs of labour, so I am not that inclined to tackle this job. The other problem is that I estimate the van's trade in value to probably be around $3K or $4K, (117,000km on the van), so it may not be worth fixing.

#9 ·
I finally gave up after changing several hoses and took the van to the dealer. They say that I have to change to gas filler tube. Cost for the part is $350CDN. With labour the total repair is going to cost me $650. Yikes!! My van is an 01 with the 3.3L engine. Has anyone changed the filler tube themselves or am I better off getting the dealer to change it. They are quoting me close to 3hrs of labour, so I am not that inclined to tackle this job. The other problem is that I estimate the van's trade in value to probably be around $3K or $4K, (117,000km on the van), so it may not be worth fixing.
Some Dealer prices are outrages, front axle assemblies, for example. Shop around, get "trade" price for the part from a Dealer, considerable savings.
3 hours sounds way high. I can price parts and labour here if you like.

#10 ·
just wanted to say thanks for that key dance trip.. after about 3 attempts i was ready to give up, wasnt sure if i was doing it to fast or to slow, but then i changed my odometer from mileage traveled to the trip A mileage.. then tried it one more time and got the nice letters "d o n e" on the odometer.. :) guess i got no code issues, thats a good thing i suppose LoL..

#12 ·
Well, it happened again today. Must be the time of year (happened August 8th, last year). Identical codes (P1684 and P0456) showing up and identical action taken.

Battery hadn't been disconnected for months and terminals were tight. Only thing I did different today, before the check engine light came on, was to power off the heating / air conditioning to test the heater pipes for heat flow per another Thread.

Weather has been dry, seasonal, cool evenings. Gas tank is near full.

After a one hour plus negative terminal disconnect, while I did other things, I reconnected the battery and no longer have the light or P0456 code showing up.

Go figure.

#14 ·
I have the same problem...both the 1684 and the 0456 code. The 1684 code shows up on the dask using the key...and the 0456 (small leak) shows up with a part store pulling the code. I replaced the gas cap but the leak still exists since the code has reappeared. I looked at the service port line that someone mentined above, but it looked ok...didn't see any cracks. I guess I will keep looking...this is the first time my 2002 van has ever had a check engine light come on. I saw a video where they use a smoke generator to find leaks...wish I had one.

#15 ·
You can search around. there are a lot of threads about this topic. If replacing gas cap and resetting the computer didn't help. try looking under you van. Right under driver seat, there would be a square canister with multiple hoses coming into and out of it. Make sure no one is cracked . if cracked, cut that part and join the rest or get new ones. make sure new ones are for fuel only.
finally there is a joint hose behind air intake. Check if that is cracked.
Good Luck.

#16 ·
PHP:
try looking under you van. Right under driver seat, there would be a square canister with multiple hoses coming into and out of it. Make sure no one is cracked . if cracked, cut that part and join the rest or get new ones. make sure new ones are for fuel only.
finally there is a joint hose behind air intake. Check if that is cracked.
thanks...the below canister has a compression clamp (plastic) that is broken. I'll replace all the clamps and re-check the hoses. They did seem ok and also tight on the canister, even the one with the broken clamp. Checked the hoses under the hood...they seem ok too, but also somewhat hard and dry, but no cracks. Chrysler wants $35 for a "kit" instead of offering those small simple hoses that are by the air intake filter box. Also, if the system is "closed" how does that work, since one of those small hoses goes directly into the intake?

#18 ·
OK, think I found the problem. The canisters (my van has two under the vehicle) had one hose that had a small split begining to form. It was a small hose...cost was around $3 at the dealership. It has a 90 degree bend, and was splitting just where it was expanding to go onto the canister. Hope that was really the problem...because there is a large hose just above the steering unit, coming off the second canister, that looks impossible to replace.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.