The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Check your spare tire mechanism periodically

22K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  Road Ripper 
#1 ·
Yesterday on the way to church I sensed as we turned onto the next road that we had a tire about to go flat on us. I pulled over and sure enough, there was the right front tire flat as could be. I went to the rear of the van, our '01, pulled out the jack, and proceeded to use the socket/tire-iron tool to crank the underfloor-mounted spare down. My wife was watching the progress while I cranked.

The problem became apparent when Susie said, "the cable's continuing down but the tire's not coming with it." I had some sheet plastic in the back, so with it as a working surface I lay down and slid under the van to see what was going on. While there, pulling and tugging, two bicyclists passed by and offered to help. They both looked to be past retirement age (won't be long for me; I'm 59), and the younger one offered to take a shot at trying to get the tire to drop. No success for him either though.

I ended up calling a tow truck and having the van carted over to a nearby BP station that had a garage I'd used in the past. When I talked with the mechanic this morning, he said they end up replacing a lot of crank mechanisms on spare tire mounts like this because they rust shut because of disuse and lack of lubrication. By the grace of the Lord, he was able to free mine up, but I wonder how many Chrysler minivan drivers are like me and never have reason to check the spare.

So check yours if you haven't in a long time. It might save you the trouble we had to deal with.

See less See more
Reactions: fxrs
#2 ·
#4 ·
Thanks, Jeepman

You've obviously had your own dealings with this sort of problem, though it sounds like your situation worked out better than mine. I'll get some of that rust stuff you mentioned. I was thinking of using WD-40 or Lock-Ease, but your lubricant is probably better.

#5 ·
Don't forget to check your spare for air pressure every so often. It would indeed be double sad to have TWO flat tires, when you thought you only had one!

#6 ·
It happened to me 4 years ago but luckily the spare was not completely flat so I managed to drive very slowly to first gas station to fill it up. More than that when you release the spare it's possible to find there a couple of pounds of stones you collected over the years and the rim being completely rusted...

Anyway the rusted mechanism which is keeping the spare from coming down must be eliminated altogether :thumb: it's useless.

#9 ·
Spare Tire

I own a 2002 and I had the same problem. I was on a trip and had a flat tire. I had never used the spare and had to read directions. Crank turned but tire never came down. Finally after an hour and with my wifes help I got it down. It had to be replaced. Cost me 100 dollars at the dealer so now when I rotate tires I have them grease it.

#10 ·
Worst design ever!!

GC spare tire setup is a extremely bad design. The fact that you can not get to your spare in an emergency because the wench is lock up should be a safety recall. Not to mention that on my 2004 I broke a small clip off the wench when I had to prey the spare off. When I talked to my dealer, I was told that I would have to buy the whole wench mechnism to get the clip. I started another thread about disabling the locking mechanism. I had a 1987 Dakoata with a similar spare tire wench but no locking system. I worked then so I see no reason that it would not work now.

#11 ·
I ended up calling a tow truck and having the van carted over to a nearby BP station that had a garage I'd used in the past. When I talked with the mechanic this morning, he said they end up replacing a lot of crank mechanisms on spare tire mounts like this because they rust shut because of disuse and lack of lubrication.

So check yours if you haven't in a long time. It might save you the trouble we had to deal with.
I agree, and suggest taking it down and spraying it with rustproofing lubricant yearly. This practice will keep you familiar with its operation and the lubrication will ensure it is working properly and not rusting. Also, gives you the opportunity to ensure the pressure is up and determining that the tire hasn't been damaged. Total time to do this < 30 minutes. Not a "big deal" for sure, on a yearly basis.

PS: If you read the Owner Manual, don't be surprised to see Chrysler recommending this tire, along with others, be replaced if it is 6 years old. The 2008 Owner Manual says that.

When I talked to my dealer, I was told that I would have to buy the whole wench mechnism to get the clip.
There's probably a near new one, in the junkyard, just waiting for you. :)

#12 ·
One thing I saw recently in an owners manual (I don't know if it was for my Caravan or a Suburban) is that the spare should have the valve oriented in the "Up" position. This means that to check or adjust tire pressure for the spare, you have to lower it.

I guess having to lower it gives you the opportunity to test the function of the winch (and lubricate it, if necessary) but on the other hand, it makes it more difficult to regularly perform pressure checks on the spare.

My question is, what is the reason for the valve to be pointing up?

#16 ·
All good info on this and the other thread. I looked at the spare on my 03 DGC tonight (first time in 5 years! :Shrugs: ). Indeed it was seized.

One point I did not see mentioned (apologies if it is in here somewhere) was a more graceful removal method. I tried lowering the cable by 1, 2, 3, and 4 turns respectively and shook the bejesus out of tire, pried it, etc. at each interval ... to no avail. Turning my back on my close companions (Brute Force and Ignorance), I looked to Education.

Turns out the catch mechanism for the spare is located towards the rear of the square tube (where the cable comes out). If you lower the spare 2 or 3 turns (as Jeepman suggested in #19 of the other thread), you can lift the tire up and shift it towards the rear of the van. This will expose the catch through the center of the spare's rim.

With the tire still lifted, insert a large flat screwdriver between the catch and the square tube. With the screwdriver, force the catch towards the rear. (Three arms helps here, but beings with the normal number of limbs can manage.) If the catch stays "out", the tire should lower.

Some pics should be attached, showing the catch locked and open.

At the risk of being too long winded, some comments on the other points:
1 - The catch is indeed a pathetic attempt at automotive engineering. Sad.
2 - My cable was sparkling clean. The rest of the mechanism was incredibly corroded (lots of salt in my area).
3 - The spare was only down to 40 psi. Not bad compared to other reports.
4 - The rim of the spare looked like it came up from the Titanic.
5 - Lots of dust, dirt, rust caked inside the rim. It was mounted with rim acting like a bowl; valve stem pointing down.
6 - I cleaned the catch and sprayed it with Rust Check (green can). May only be available in Canada...?

Thanks again to all - good stuff guys/gals. It was a bit of a dirty job, but infinitely easier to do it in my garage rather than in 30 degree heat, on a highway, with a van full of kids..... [shudder]
Hope the pics help!

Ride on, 'til I get there.
radman

Attachments

#17 ·
After reading these posts, I went out to my 2002 T&C and tried to lower the spare tire. Of course, the cable came down but the tire stayed up. My 80 year old neighbor, an ex-mechanic came over to see what I was doing and we both had a good laugh, staring at the dropped cable and the tire in the air. We "beat on it" for awhile and it finally dropped. I lubed all the mechanics that holds the tire in place. I then raised it up again, and tried to lower it. It stuck again. Another beating and it came down. I then put a piece of heavy wire I had thru the hole in the release mechanism to be used as a manual release for the next time I have to get at the spare.
Nice design.

#20 ·
After reading these posts I decided to check the state of my 2002 T&C spare tire mechanism and found it was also seized up:angry: A couple of pieces of the mech broke off during the lowering process so, after cleaning and anti-corroding, I attached some 1/16" plastic coated steel cable to the locking catch and trailed it back under the bumper. Being sure to give my beloved (who's the main driver) a quick tutorial in how to lower the spare in the event of a puncture, I derusted and painted the rim and put it all back together.

Attachments

#26 ·
This thread makes me happy my wife pays the auto club every year. Guess I don't understand the need for the extra lock, my 94 is only held up with the cable. Replaced the temp wheel with a full size rim and tire early in it's life.

The ole 94 is getting tired and reading the forums for what to expect if I buy a newer van.. So far I may just keep the 94 forever...

#31 ·
With the spare only held up by the cable, the spare will fall offf the vehicle when the cable rusts out. I see vehicles all the time (GM, Chrysler -doesn't matter) with just a rusty stub of cable under the rear. Imagine the chance of injury if the wheel were to fall off on the highway in front of you - - now imagine you're on a motorcycle! You can see the potential hazard. Heck, I saw a full size chevy truck lose his spare after going over some railroad tracks. That was a BIG wheel. It rolled down the ditch and almost up the other side, into busy traffic! I was biking with my wife, and it happened only half a block in front of us. Could have been bad.

One other time I was sitting in traffic when there was a screech of tires and a crash! Then, almost out of nowhere, a lonely spare tire rolled between the 2 lines of stopped cars, wobbled, and did the little circular rum-rum-rum thing to the ground like in cartoons. Looking ahead, I saw that a Ford Aerostar got t-boned in the rear and swung over. The impact jarred the spare loose and sent it into traffic. THAT's why I love the extra locking mechanism on the spare tire carriers. :)

#27 ·
So the newer models don't sound so good, Bob? Ha! If you've got a good ride, stick with it, though I'll say our '99 DGC SE has been a very reliable van with over 153K on it now. You might do well looking at some late Gen. 3 models when you're ready to buy.

#28 ·
After a flat I need to get the tire back under my van.
I removed the tire winch assembly from van - it seemed to work ok with no load. Greased the draw up mechanism and cable. I followed the (reverse) procedure from the handbook, but the winch refused to draw up the tire either from left side and from the front of the van, 3 clicks were reached and the tire was still on the ground. The supplied winch handle tool ended up stripped / broken and now needs to be replaced. I am not happy. I suppose I will be keeping the tire inside the van, and use duct tape to hold the pieces of hardware and cable off the road.
What do I need to do to get the tire back in place?

#29 ·
On my 05 GC with sto and go, it says not to store a full size spare on the spare tire hanger. i miss having a full size spare, and my travels regularly take me hundreds of miles from home. Does the full size spare hang too low, or is the space not wide enough to accomodate it? Anyone try to hang a full size tire under there? Weight too heavy for the hanging assembly?I was able to put a full size on my 02 where it was mounted just behind the rear bumper.

#30 ·
...Does the full size spare hang too low, or is the space not wide enough to accomodate it?...
Hangs too low. You would possibly damage your good wheel.

Reactions: kevioll
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.