The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Whats your Tire Pressure?

27K views 57 replies 22 participants last post by  Jeepman 
#1 ·
So today I adjusted tire Pressure to 38psi on the T&C I was just wondering what others are running on thiers I felt the factory rating of 35 was a little mushy on cornering and looked a little flat with 38 it looks better but I may go one more pound. Just curious as to what others find the happy medium on thier vans.

#2 ·
I top mine off at 44psi. It's a little rougher ride, but, I get about 60-80 more kms per tank. (It's a fair trade off in my opinion)

#3 · (Edited)
Generally keep mine around what the Vehicle Manufacturer recommends. I check the pressure in the shade and after the vehicle has been sitting for a couple of hours or more, and avoid going to the high side after seeing what psi change there can be in a tire sitting in direct sunlight on a hot day.
Lots of information on air pressure for tires at http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=1
including:
Air Pressure - Correct, Underinflated and Overinflated
Air Pressure vs. Dry Performance
Air Pressure vs. Wet Performance
Air Pressure, Temperature Fluctuations
Air Pressure/Load Adjustment for High Speed Driving
Air Pressure: When and How to Set

To those running high air pressures, coupled with tires that may be over 6 years old, and weather beaten, you're driving on the edge.

#6 ·
You should also post which tires you are running?

I am running the factory Bridgestone Turanza EL400. I will check the pressure when I get back from work.

#9 · (Edited)
36 psi all around per the label on the door.
Kumho 791 A/S M+S Touring 215/65R-16.
Treadlife rating 100,000 kms to 110,000 kms.
Initial tread depth 10/32ths.
Wear out depth 2/32ths.

#10 ·
36 is spec'd on my '01. I've been experimenting with 40 in the Bridgestone Potenza RE950s. Too early to tell the results although the ride feels good. On our '99, 35 is the factory-spec'd pressure. I bumped it up to 38 in the BF Goodrich Traction T/As. Seems good so far.

#12 ·
It's obviously been too long since I read my sidewalls. I've kept the Yokohamas at the 36 psi stated on the door, but I see now they're max rated at 44 psi, so I will try them at 40 psi.

I've always run a few pounds higher than the doortag said but I figured 36 psi was already pushing it ('till I just looked at the tire).

#13 ·
I had those Yokahamas on my LX I was seriously disapointed in them in dry weather I hope you have better luck than me.

#15 ·
Funny this topic should come up now...

My butt dyno is sensitive enough to tell when the tire pressure on our two vans starts heading down toward "only" 30 psi, and this weekend I was "feeling" the need air up the tires in our 2003 (two tested out at 38 and two were at 32).

While the pump was working on one of the "32s" over on the 2003, I went around and checked the pressure on the 1998 for the first time since I had the Cooper CS4 Tourings installed on it (when I got it home from the tire shop last December I pumped the tires up to 38 on a rather cold day), and I was stunned to see that all four tires registered at 42 psi! I'm at a loss to explain why there has been no apparent pressure loss since December, and as a sort of experiment, I left the pressure alone figuring I'll check them again this coming December to see if they register back at 38. Stay tuned. ;)

#18 ·
I was stunned to see that all four tires registered at 42 psi! I'm at a loss to explain why there has been no apparent pressure loss since December, and as a sort of experiment, I left the pressure alone figuring I'll check them again this coming December to see if they register back at 38. Stay tuned. ;)

Could it be? One would usually check/fill tires when they're cold. So the tires inflated with cold air in the winter... which expands in the heat of the summer. So even if some air leaked out, you're still up from where you were in the winter.

I'm not sure how much more pressure the air would exert on the tire with, say, a 60 degree temperature increase for the summer months, (PV=nRT... maybe later!) but I've un-scientifically experienced the same thing with my cars.

#16 ·
This topic is interesting. I have ONLY heard to ALWAYS inflate the tire pressure as per the tag in the door jam or the glove box, never from what the sidewall says.

Has there been a recent shift to inflate higher to conserve more fuel? Or has it always been this way?

#17 ·
I've generally heard that the manufacturers set the door tag low as a compromise toward ride, and away from tread wear and economy.

So I bump it up to the max rating on the sidewall (except for wide tires on light vehicles, which might have you running only on the center of the tread).

#19 ·
I've done weekend racing off and on for years now, and among the drivers it's well known that a slight bump in pressure yields the best handling on the track. That said, I've never seen any racer that ever got their best lap times with max sidewall pressure in their cars. For my last BMW, the best pressure ratings were an extra six pounds front and two pounds rear (both over the gas-cap sticker recommendations) yielded the best lap times. Less than those settings and the tires tended to scrub a bit, above those settings and the car got kind of squirrely and hard to control in the transients.

#20 ·
I generally add 4 lbs to the "suggested" pressure on all my cars. Usually better wear, handling & mileage; but will vary vehicle to vehicle. At least I'm ahead of the game when you factor in the average 1 lb pressure loss per month oft stated.

Ron.

#25 ·
Now here is another wrench into the gears.

What about using Nitrogen in the tires? Benefit or BS?

#27 ·
I have used nitrogen. It's overated. I am not using it now.

#30 ·
36 psi all around per the label on the door of T&C
Michelin Destiny 215/65R-16.

#34 ·
I run 40 psi all around. I have the El's. The N2 thing is bull for everyday driving. Take it from a chemist. If it costs you money to get the N2 then just send the money to me because you are wasting your money. If you are racing then there is a slight advantage with N2. When racing tenths count so that is why they use it.

Steve

#36 ·
I set mine in the morning, in the garage, so there is no sunlight affecting it. You are right though -- PSI can vary as much as 2-3 pounds on the sun side of the car vs. the shade side sometimes.

#38 ·
While I'm not saying that he's wrong, I will say that some of the absolutely worst advice I've ever heard being dished out was form technicians that have been on the job for decades.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.