The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Fuel Pump Noise

18K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  tsetse 
#1 ·
'02 Caravan, 3.3 engine, 86,000 miles.

For about three years, in warmer weather, the fuel pump in this van makes a high-pitched, ringing whine while in operation. The ambient temperature threshold for this seems to be about 88-90 deg. F. Not a sound from it in cooler temperatures. There are no other symptoms, just the whine of the pump in operation. Engine runs and starts consistently, and there are no fault codes.

The van seldom runs lower than 1/2 tank of fuel, and has never run completely out. Only once or twice has it been run low enough to activate the warning light.

Is this fuel pump about to fail? Anyone else heard something similar?

Thanks,
Mark

#2 ·
I too have the 2002 van and I've experienced the same issue. I actually posted the problem on this forum back in September of 2005.

It usually happens to me about once, maybe twice a year. The dealer said that our vans fuel pumps go a long time and back in 2005 he didn't think that was the problem but he offered no other solution. (Bring it in, we'll look at it)

I then went to the wiley old veteran at the auto parts store and after I described the problem he went right for a bottle of Lucas Fuel treatment. He said NOT to use anything else. I purchased the small bottle and added to my fuel and soon the sound was gone.

Last summer I think I purchased some bad gasoline since the van was sputtering a bit and I went to another parts store 50 miles away near where I work and wouldn't you know it, he says "use the Lucas, nothing else". So, long story long, use the Lucas!

#5 ·
I tried the lucas oil treatment this week-end. We went on a trip and covered 800 miles. I bought a quart of treatment and went by the directions of 3 oz per ten gallons of fuel. The noise is better but is still there when the temp goes up to 85 deg, or when the tank gets to 1/2 tank!. I hope the noise gets better after using the oil treatment. Does anybody have a time frame when the noise quits? This is the 3.3l engine.

#6 ·
Glenn-a,

What worked for me was buying the same sized bottle as you and using 7 or 8 ounces and adding it when the tank is a little under a quarter. Then I'd run 5 to 10 miles and fill up with gas. The directions say something like " using more than 3 oz won't hurt anything"

PS...You may have jinxed me. I drove to Reading Pa today and on the way back I started to get the "hum". Time to buy the Lucas!

#7 ·
2002 3.3l with same problem. I was about to post when I read this one. It happens a several times a year. Can't decide if its a hum or a whine but its irritating! Noise sometimes stops briefly when initially accelerating. Maybe the fuel line pressure drops slightly when the engine picks up and this unloads the pump?? Has any forum member experienced a pump failure with these vans.

#8 ·
I started hearing the same whining hum coming from the back half of the vehicle, it definitely was not from the engine area and I immediately thought "fuel pump". I wasn't very happy as I was 100 miles from home and heading further away for the Labor Day weekend. I first noticed it while sitting in a parking lot waiting for wife to finish some shopping and had the van idling. It was HOT, probably around 90 degrees and the fuel level was very low, around 1/8 full. I drove away and it hummed but as soon as I filled the gas tank the noise disappeared. I've never heard the noise prior to then. With the high miles on my van I figured "might be time for a new pump". Has anyone had to replace a fuel pump after experiencing these whining, hum noises, and if yes, did the noise get worse and how long did it make noise before the pump finally gave out?

BTW, I'll try the Lucas Fuel Treatment a few times and see what happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.