Turn Off Alarm System?

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Turn Off Alarm System?

Thanks

Turn Off Alarm System?

The alarm system on my 1999 T&C is driving me crazy and I would like to turn it off completely. I believe the little button to the lower left of the steering wheel has something to do with this, but I don't know the procedure. Please HELP!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

I think you are referring to an aftermarket alarm.

Thanks

On most aftermarket alarms you hold the button then turn the key on. The led should stay on solid. That put's it in "valet" mode. Or more simply turns it off.

1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager
    2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser

1994 Beretta Quad Z26
    www.lupus.org

Thanks

if you wanted to completely kill it, you need to find the brain box, (Usually found under the dash on the drivers side) and unplug it. if you do, 1 of 2 things will happen: van will be fine without it, OR van wont engage the starter. if this happens, you would need to trace the starter kill wires, and splice them together. you can do this by tracing the wiring from the ignition area.

Thanks

Let's back up a minute...WHY is it driving you crazy? What is it not doing correctly? Is it a factory original sytem?

Quote Originally Posted by Arthurwg View Post
    The alarm system on my 1999 T&C is driving me crazy and I would like to turn it off completely. I believe the little button to the lower left of the steering wheel has something to do with this, but I don't know the procedure. Please HELP!

Thanks

I think it's the factory original system. It works with the door locks. But it's going off all the time, regardless of the electronic door lock/unlock system.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arthurwg View Post
    I think it's the factory original system. It works with the door locks. But it's going off all the time, regardless of the electronic door lock/unlock system.
    Yeah, my van did that too. I would set the alarm, go into the store and a few minutes later hear a security horn going off. "Who's that idiot?" Oh, its me!

To "fix" it, I did this little trick each time I exited the van: Open the drivers side door and push the electric lock button down to set all locks and the alarm. Then, using the remote, I push the unlock button one time to pop open just the drivers side AND disable the alarm. Then I would manually push the top button (not the electronic) down to lock just the drivers door. This essentially got all the doors locked without the alarm system being armed.

Years later, I had the bad solder joint problem in the dash and fixed that. I think that was also the cause of my alarm system malfunction (it also caused the van not to start because it "thought" the alarm was going off).

So, bottom line, I would reflow the solder in your dash first. Then, if that aint it, you can always lock it manually.

Thanks

If the alarm has a button, it's an add-on, even if branded by Mopar.
    I installed one myself. If you need directions on "unistall", let me know.
    One other possible cause for false activation is the shock sensor present in that system.
    It is adjustable.

+ Reply to Thread