Howling Sound

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Howling Sound

Thanks

Howling Sound

I've been hearing a howling noise inside the vehicle which seems to only happen between 45-70 kph. My mechanic has check the wheel bearings which is not the problem.

I've done some research any have found a TSB related to this issue.

TSB #00063 -- SOME MINIVANS MAY EXHIBIT A HOWL SOUND WHEN DRIVING AT SPEEDS BETWEEN 45 AND 70 MPH AND THAT MAY BE MOST NOTICEABLE AT 58 - 60 MPH. *TT (NHTSA ID #615696, NOVEMBER 10 2000)

Does anyone have details for this TSB?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

What is the year and model of your van? If that TSB is dated November 2000, it probably doesn't apply to a 4th generation van.

It might help if you could further describe the noise. Is it only when you have your foot on the gas, or does it occur whether you're on or off the throttle? Does the howl get louder with vehicle speed or engine speed? If you put the transmission into neutral while driving at speed, and let the engine idle, does the noise continue? Use caution if you try the last item -- and make sure nobody is around you when you do it.
    '11 Toyota Camry | 2.5/6AT | Sandy Beach
    '07 Chrysler T&C | 3.8/4AT | Cognac Crystal
    '05 Acura MDX | 3.5/5AT | Billet Silver
    '97 Dodge Dakota | 5.2/4AT | Emerald Green

Thanks

I recall a TSB for roof rack crossbars creating noise at speed for 2001s. That's about all the brain cells can regurgitate. Carcomplaints.com probably has it listed but you have to subscribe to Alldata.com to get the details for $15.
    ******** We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. You'll help hundreds. ********

**** Follow all prescribed safety procedures before attempting any repairs. If in doubt, refer to a maintenance manual. ****

96 Gr Caravan LE 3.8, 208K miles
    07 Fusion / 06 RAV 4 / 06 Accord / 94 Camry

Thanks

45-70kph is a lot slower than 45-70mph as indicated in that TSB...

-Jim

Thanks

roofrack installed backwards.Drove a rental 05 with this problem.
    Dealer looked after I mentiond the noise when picking my van up from being fixedand said roofrack was backwards!!

Thanks

NHTSA bulletin numbers have no correlation to manufacturer bulleting numbers. If you give us the year of your van, we can probably find something for you.
    I'm a retired ASE Master/L-1 Technician. I still keep current with the latest automotive technology. I now have over 400 repair articles, TSBs, and wiring diagrams on my blog: http://www.ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com//

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. The vehicle is a 2002 Caravan SE. The noise is only heard when my foot is on the gas peddle. The noise is pretty much constant regardless of the speed. As for putting it into neutral...no noise.

Thanks

Could it be a more high-pitched whine? The transfer gears in the transmission can make such a noise. They can "sing" at certain speeds. If it doesn't do it in neutral as you roll down the road, and if it doesn't do it with engine speed, like if you rev it some in neutral or in Park while you're stopped, it sure sounds like a driveline problem. I'm thinking something like transfer gears...and in this case, the noise is pretty harmless.

Thanks

Details sure do help. No noise in neutral makes me think warped or cracked transaxle flexplate (flywheel). I've read a thread or two on this on different forums. Anybody care to expand on it?
    ******** We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. You'll help hundreds. ********

**** Follow all prescribed safety procedures before attempting any repairs. If in doubt, refer to a maintenance manual. ****

96 Gr Caravan LE 3.8, 208K miles
    07 Fusion / 06 RAV 4 / 06 Accord / 94 Camry

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    Details sure do help. No noise in neutral makes me think warped or cracked transaxle flexplate (flywheel). I've read a thread or two on this on different forums. Anybody care to expand on it?
    I thought it was the other way around, no? I've always read that a knocking/tapping at idle (such as in Park, when you start the engine) can be caused by a damaged flexplate. I thought that noise was supposed to go away when under load. In either event, I thought it was a tapping/knocking noise, rather than a howl or a whine. I could certainly be wrong though. It wouldn't be the first time...or second, or third, or eight hundred thirty second...

+ Reply to Thread