The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

A Little Heads Up on Replacing a Fobik Key..

69K views 67 replies 28 participants last post by  ChryslerCares 
#1 ·
Don't buy a used one on E-Bay they can't ever be re programmed once already programmed to a van. You can use one with less active buttons on the face than the one you have for a spare you just wont have that feature working from the fob.

#44 ·
I ordered two keys from Ikeyless.com costs was $166 shipped. Both keys worked fine so now I have 4 sets of keys programmed to my minivan. They were offering a discount if you ordered more then one, so it was $95 for one or $166 for two.

The instructions work fine on the 2010 SXT but there is no chime. So you just have to count down the seconds in your head.

#49 ·
I tried with not only the instructions that I got with the key, but also the instructions that I got from here.

They FOBIK i got is unscratched, so I'm pretty sure that its new, and everything else about it seems new. The seller has good feedback as well. so hoping for the best...I think the seller had also told me that I needed the dealer to program it.

I'm hoping to get an appointment at my dealer shortly and check it out.

But yeah, definitely disappointing.

#51 ·
Perhaps the security chip that is used for the engine mobilizer has a bearing on this. A salesman told me that the chip is now in the end of the "key" that inserts into the dash opening. Each vehicle has a unique code.

#54 ·
Not sure how the computer system works in the van but I know when we program software for our equipment, SOMETIMES we need to lose a previous option for "memory space" to allow for more data for a more important option or improvement. MOST people are not programming keys in their driveway, so maybe they lose that option in favor for the system to activate and added air bag. I think the safety out weighs the key programming option. Not say that is how it works just giving and example of possibly why. Remember, your juicing them on the key by going thru Ebay not their parts counter, your already cut one testicle off, they're just trying to keep the other one intact!

#56 ·
Really IMO they just need to go away from all the "smart" keys. Fobs are ok for doors and what-not, but a metal key is IMO a better deal. Will it happen - No. By going the route the manuf's have gone, they have eliminated the ignition switch assembly from the steering column and all the related assembly costs including cost of employees and the labor cost to install..... We are stuck with these from here on out.....

#60 ·
Right, but the metal key will not start nor run the car. Doesn't do much good to get in the car and then not be able to drive it! I miss the days of the 5.00 key that would open the door, then start the car with the other. Now, it's all about removing parts from manufacturing processes and calling it "convenience features". Don't get me wrong-I think the features are great. Just don't combine them into the same system that starts and runs the car. If my electric windows quit, I'm annoyed but can still drive. If I drop a FOBIK and it breaks open (happened once) then that key doesn't work any more and I can't drive. I wonder how long it will be before someone writes an app that runs on my phone and it gets rid of this FOBIK? Coming soon, I bet!!

#62 ·
the battery doesn't run the security. the FOBIK has a large surface mount chip in the "nose" that is the security portion. if the solder joint breaks loose (which it did on mine), then you can still lock and unlock but will not engage the starter or run the car. reads as invalid key or something like that. since the dealer would not warranty this I had to buy a new one. I took the old one apart and found horrible cold solder joints on the board and the security chip had broken loose on one end. I resoldered it and it worked just fine. Now I have three keys..... One I didn't need but the dealer wouldn't diagnose the other key. Dropped it just once too. No surface scars, marks, nothing on that FOBIK. Just flat out horrible cold solder joints!!

#67 ·
I just purchased a new 2012 Grand Caravan and wanted to add addition FOBIKs. I tried the instructions earlier in the thread (I have two new FOBIKs of course) and can't get the blank ones to go. I guess I'm in for a trip to the dealer as well...

#68 ·
Only keys that have been programmed to the vehicle electronics can be used to start the vehicle. Once a Sentry Key has been programmed to a vehicle, it cannot be programmed to any other vehicle.

At the time of purchase, the original owner is provided with a four-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN). The PIN is required for authorized dealer replacement of keys. Duplication of keys may be performed at an authorized dealer or by using the Customer Key Programming procedure. This procedure consists of programming a blank key to the vehicle electronics. A blank key is one which has never been programmed.

Programming Key Fobiks or RKE transmitters (like the kind used in the 2012 Town & Country) may only be performed at an authorized dealer.

You can program new Sentry keys to the system if you have two valid Sentry Keys by performing the following procedure:

1. Cut the additional Sentry Key Transponder blank(s) to match the ignition switch lock cylinder key code.
2. Insert the first valid key into the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position for at least three seconds, but no longer than 15 seconds. Then, turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position and remove the first key.
3. Insert the second valid key into the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position within 15 seconds. After ten seconds, a chime will sound. In addition, the Vehicle Security Light will begin to flash.
Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position and remove the second key.
4. Insert a blank Sentry Key into the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position within 60 seconds. After 10 seconds, a single chime will sound.
In addition, the Vehicle Security Light will stop flashing.
To indicate that programming is complete, the indicator light will turn on again for three seconds and then turn off.
The new Sentry Key is programmed. The Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter will also be programmed during this procedure.

Reactions: Sunvanse
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.