The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Power steering cooler TBS...???

11K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  mmahamm 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,
I did a oil change today and noticed under my A=frame area a some sort of coil/condenser with fins.....i though it was for my AC but after looking a 1/2 hour in the service manual i spoted a pic of it and it is my POWER STEERING COOLER coil for my power steering system.

My question is this is a stupid place for it, it is all dinged up on my 2007 dodge sxt caravan and the fins are bent.....i am hoping someone can furnish a TBS number for a guard for this?

I got to believe that there must be one because surely i am not the only one to see this ......thanks guys/girls

Wolly1
2007 sxt caravan

#2 ·
Nope, just stupid design placement.
It gets good airflow there, along with good debris thrown at it.

I take a look at mine every time I change the oil and bend the fins back in place if needed.

#4 ·
ps cooler

Yeah I always thought it was a stupid place to put it and very vulnerable to road debris to say nothing how long will it last when exposed to the kind of road salt they use here in upstate NY. I'll have to take a look at it the next time I'm under there .

#5 ·
I just have a loop of power steering tube there without the cooling fins. So far no problems

#6 ·
ps

I believe the cooler was put in to try and alleviate the inevitable power steering whine that will develop after 2 or 3 years . I think the fluid over heats and partially clogs the screen in the bottom of the ps reservoir , this is their attempt to fix that issue I believe. The wifes 04 does not have the cooler like my 07 does and yes hers did develop the infamous ps whine .

#7 ·
I believe the cooler was put in to try and alleviate the inevitable power steering whine that will develop after 2 or 3 years . I think the fluid over heats and partially clogs the screen in the bottom of the ps reservoir , this is their attempt to fix that issue I believe. The wifes 04 does not have the cooler like my 07 does and yes hers did develop the infamous ps whine .
Let me correct myself. I did get the whine, and I fixed it by replacing the reservoir.

BTW are you sure that the fluid overheating causes the screen to clog? I thought that the screen clogs, causing the whine and the overheating.

Anybody know for sure?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.