The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Brake Warning Lamp on Dash Explained

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  BillGrissom 
#1 ·
After a brake fluid refresh in my 1996 Voyager 2.4L, my brake warning lamp stayed on (not "ABS" lamp). I found little info, so this might help others. I understand that 3 things can light this lamp:

Parking Brake pedal switch
Fluid reservoir "low level" switch
"Pressure Imbalance" switch

All short to ground, and all use 2 wires - one to the lamp (parallel) and one a dedicated ground. I think direct-wired to the lamp (i.e. not thru BCM). A 1997 pdf manual I have shows just a "Pressure Switch". Other info (web, I forgot) says this switch is on the reservoir (wrong).

The imbalance switch is on the "distribution block" underneath, below driver's feet. If ABS (my van), the hydraulics for that (accumulator, valves, pump?) mount above that (integral with it?). The switch senses imbalance between the 2 isolated hydraulic systems. This goes back to 1967 when separate front & rear systems were mandated. My van has an X-split (FR & RL, FL & RR) which is more plumbing but always leave some front braking. A hard-wired cable goes to a 2-pin connector behind the battery on L shock tower. If ABS, you must slide off the larger ABS connector to see it.

Disconnecting the imbalance switch didn't turn off the lamp, and I was smart enough to release the parking brake. Good news since the imbalance switch would be a challenging fix. I was worried because I let the reservoir run dry while bleeding (12 yr old assistant rushing me) and some info said any air in the system requires taking to the dealer w/ a special tool to reset things (nada for me). I thought I bled all air out and had a hard pedal. The manual says to just flow thru the master cylinder to get bubbles out, instead of the older "connect re-circ tubes to reservoir" method.

My problem turned out to be the "low fluid" magnet switch was tripped, though the reservoir was full of clean fluid. Sliding the sensor out turned off the lamp. I rapped the reservoir a few times and slid it back, then no light. The float was just stuck in the bottom, even though everything was clean.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.