2012 T&C occasionally won't start



ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: 2012 T&C occasionally won't start

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    2012 T&C occasionally won't start

    Hey everyone,

    We've had a 2012 Town & Country since new, and it now has about 48k miles. My wife has been complaining for a while that on rare occasion it will not start. She gets in and pushes the button, and it will crank but not fire. She says that if she continues to try from "Run" it will continue to fail starting. She has to press the button until it's returned to "Off" and then try starting again to get it to fire. Now it appears this is becoming more common, so I need to address it.

    I have seen this issue occur one time, and it clearly didn't make any attempt to fire. There's obviously no fuel and/or no spark. I'm assuming this is either a computer-related issue (anti-theft system, bad ground, or something like that) or a relay issue. I haven't troubleshot it yet, but I was in hopes it was common enough that I could get some ideas before wasting a bunch of effort diagnosing the less likely culprits.

    On a side note, I'm a gear head and spend a lot of time/money drag racing and working on street/strip cars. You'd think someone like that probably wouldn't like a vehicle like this, but I have to admit I love having the van. Thanks in advance for any help!


    -Tony

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

  3. #2
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2


    Starting Issues

    My wife and I had a very similar issue with our push button start. We took our in a few times for the same issue. Does it ever do like a 1.5 second start and run and then shut down? The only way I could get mine started was to shut the ignition off, get out and lock the doors and start over again. Ours ended up being a defective WIN module which has to do with vehicle key fobs and vehicle security. It took them almost 6 hours to replace it under warranty. They had to remove the dash to replace it.

    Not sure if that makes sense
    Bob

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN.
    Posts
    93


    Check under the hood for one of these ...
    Attached Images
    2012 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.6 SE (81,xxx miles)
    2000 Honda Odyssey Ex (209,xxx miles) - Traded

  5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,206


    My former 2013 was having issues with stalling and it turned out to be the WIN module. This was before 5000 mi.
    Have her put the key in the console. That is what they had my wife do until the new module arrived. Of course they also ended up replacing the shifter handle because it got scuffed in the repair. You can also pull the button off and use it like a regular ignition. (Kind of defeats the purpose of push button start though)

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    111


    I had some of the same troubles with my 2012 T&C.

    I don't know if your issue was the same as mine but here is something that I did to figure out the problem.

    First I took the battery off and left off over night. the next day put it back on and still had the same issue. (However this could reset your WIN and your issues could be solved)

    Next I was using the enter and go feature while I was having the problem and in the end found that the RKE was a fault. My RKE was in my case that I would set in second row seat. At times it would start and other times it wouldn't. I figured it out when the only times it wouldn't start was when It was in the seat to start out. after a couple of tries I would grab my case to get my phone and while on the phone with my wife or a client that I was on my way to see, I would try again and it would start. At first I never put it together but in the end only could think that the RKE was to far with weak battery to start the van.

    I guess the system could sense it well enough being close to the front door when I would grab the handle and it would open

    After I got home in the second week of this issue I went and got the other RKE fob and haven't had a problem since.

    In the end before I replaced the battery I wanted to try a test to see if the fob was at fault. When a good fob is left in my van and I shut the last door or the rear the system looks for a good FOB if left inside it will unlock the door and honk the horn to warn that the fob was left inside. Well when I did my test, the back went down and everything was locked no warning in the end. I know if my other one was close enough to the outside it will lock just fine so the other one was far enough away. Went and got the good one. OPened the back and replaced the battery and the fob has been used without issue since.

    Seeing you have said that it only happened once to you, and the other times the issue has been with your wife, I am assuming that the fob is your fob1 good, her fob2 weak battery. This may not be your issue but maybe a place to try. I will tell you that a battery is a lot cheaper then a dealer trouble shooting game.

    Wish you luck and hope this has helped
    James

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to WaRevo For This Useful Post:

    JCamasto(01-18-2015)

  9. #6
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    148


    Quote Originally Posted by WaRevo View Post
    I had some of the same troubles with my 2012 T&C.

    I don't know if your issue was the same as mine but here is something that I did to figure out the problem.

    First I took the battery off and left off over night. the next day put it back on and still had the same issue. (However this could reset your WIN and your issues could be solved)

    Next I was using the enter and go feature while I was having the problem and in the end found that the RKE was a fault. My RKE was in my case that I would set in second row seat. At times it would start and other times it wouldn't. I figured it out when the only times it wouldn't start was when It was in the seat to start out. after a couple of tries I would grab my case to get my phone and while on the phone with my wife or a client that I was on my way to see, I would try again and it would start. At first I never put it together but in the end only could think that the RKE was to far with weak battery to start the van.

    I guess the system could sense it well enough being close to the front door when I would grab the handle and it would open

    After I got home in the second week of this issue I went and got the other RKE fob and haven't had a problem since.

    In the end before I replaced the battery I wanted to try a test to see if the fob was at fault. When a good fob is left in my van and I shut the last door or the rear the system looks for a good FOB if left inside it will unlock the door and honk the horn to warn that the fob was left inside. Well when I did my test, the back went down and everything was locked no warning in the end. I know if my other one was close enough to the outside it will lock just fine so the other one was far enough away. Went and got the good one. OPened the back and replaced the battery and the fob has been used without issue since.

    Seeing you have said that it only happened once to you, and the other times the issue has been with your wife, I am assuming that the fob is your fob1 good, her fob2 weak battery. This may not be your issue but maybe a place to try. I will tell you that a battery is a lot cheaper then a dealer trouble shooting game.

    Wish you luck and hope this has helped
    James
    When your car did not start, did it crank?
    2012 T&C Touring, 3.6 liter, 6AT

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    111


    As stated in my post my issues may have been different. Also with my aftermarket add ons my van is slightly different in how things work. Only offered my info as a base as to what may work. Seeing I don't know all the works of the vans with standard equipment I figured I would still offer what has seem to work for me. Thank you for the correction to what the OP has written, however I did state in my post it may not be same problem

    James

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Thanks for all the great feedback. Here's the answers to the questions posed thus far...

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman1083 View Post
    Does it ever do like a 1.5 second start and run and then shut down?
    No, it just cranks without firing. To my knowledge it has never started and then quit.


    Quote Originally Posted by ted928 View Post
    When your car did not start, did it crank?
    Yes, it cranks but just never fires.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    148


    Quote Originally Posted by WaRevo View Post
    As stated in my post my issues may have been different. Also with my aftermarket add ons my van is slightly different in how things work. Only offered my info as a base as to what may work. Seeing I don't know all the works of the vans with standard equipment I figured I would still offer what has seem to work for me. Thank you for the correction to what the OP has written, however I did state in my post it may not be same problem

    James
    I was not trying to correct you - my question was sincere.
    I don't know how these security interlocks are supposed to work.
    I remember years ago that some security systems would allow the car to crank but not run.
    2012 T&C Touring, 3.6 liter, 6AT

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    55
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    I have had the same problem on my 2012 Touring L. I also would cycle the switch through to OFF and it would start. Then I noticed I had gotten into the habit of just punching the start button rather than holding it in. So I make it a point to press and hold the button and have had no more problems.

    YET!

    Thxs
    slkfis
    2012 T&C Touring L
    2001 T&C LXI Sold at 220,000, still going strong

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts