The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

no horn, air bag light on

24K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  98tac 
#1 ·
I just bought my 1996 plym grand voy and I am going nuts!!! It has no owners manual. My horn does not work and my air bag light is on and my cruise control does no work...Can anyone help me by emailing me any suggestions. My mechanic said he needs the wiring diagrams for the horn. Thus, I have no owners manuel!!!!

#2 ·
Sounds like the Clockspring is faulty. Also that your mechanic knows little about Voyagers.

The Clockspring is the name given to the ribbon cable connecting the horn/cruise control switches on the steering wheel to the electronics under the hood. It is coiled around the inside of the steering wheel and looks like the spring in a clock.

If your mechanic is going to attempt a repair, tell him to disconnect the battery negative cable and wait five minutes before taking the steering wheel off. If he doesn't do that, the airbag could go off in his face. He WILL need a workshop manual to do this job, as the Clockspring has to be placed correctly to prevent it being damaged.

#4 ·
As stated above, this is under a lifetime recall. Take it to a dealer.

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
CHRYSLER / TOWN AND COUNTRY 1996-1998

DODGE / CARAVAN 1996-1998

DODGE / GRAND CARAVAN 1996-1998

PLYMOUTH / GRAND VOYAGER 1996-1998

PLYMOUTH / VOYAGER 1996-1998

Recall Number: 02V293000
Summary:
ON CERTAIN MINI VANS, THE CLOCKSPRING ASSEMBLY MAY HAVE BEEN WOUND INCORRECTLY DURING THE VEHICLE ASSEMBLY PROCESS.
Consequence:
THIS CONDITION WILL MANIFEST ITSELF THROUGH ILLUMINATION OF THE AIR BAG WARNING LAMP, AND COULD EVENTUALLY RESULT IN A DRIVER'S AIR BAG OPEN CIRCUIT, IF THE PART IS NOT REPLACED IN A REASONABLE AMOUNT OF TIME.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE CLOCKSPRING ASSEMBLY ON ALL VEHICLES WITH 70,000 MILES OR LESS. AN EXTENDED LIFETIME WARRANTY WILL ALSO BE PLACED ON THIS COMPONENT FOR ALL AFFECTED VEHICLES, REGARDLESS OF MILEAGE. DAIMLERCHRYSLER WILL ALSO REIMBURSE OWNERS WHO HAVE PAID TO HAVE THE CLOCKSPRING REPLACED ON THEIR VEHICLES. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN NOVEMBER 18, 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.
Notes:
ALSO, CUSTOMERS CAN CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

#5 ·
also note, that the dealership may not honor the recall if the van has over 70k miles on it. This is a lifetime recall, however it was explained to me that after 70k you have to pay up front, then contact Chrysler for your refund.

#8 ·
I disagree. The warranty covers the repair regardless of mileage and/or how many times it has been repaired in the past. This should be done at no charge.

#7 ·
:hi2:
Welcome to the site. Lots of information here, some of it beneficial, some of it entertaining, but all the information has good intentions behind it.
No horn, no cruise, and air bag light is on - the common denominator in that case is the "clockspring" in the steering wheel area as already mentioned, firstly by Renegade1127. Quick response there Renegade1127. Renegade got anything to do with Jeep Renegade?
The clockspring is an electrical track that allows switches / components associated with the steering wheel to work when the steering wheel is turned.
The Haynes Manual (readily available and recommended reference for your vehicle) for your Van has a picture of one in Section 10-14, Figure 17.9.
Pictures available at the following site as well:
http://www.dormanproducts.com/catalog/OESolutions2006/021-024ClockSprings.pdf
For more on the recall and repair, take a look at this site:
http://www.allpar.com/fix/clockspring.html
Your Mechanic sounds a bit hesitant to make the repair. It's not that big a job, but the information above might be handy for him. Hope this is of some help. Good luck.

#12 ·
:hi2:
Renegade got anything to do with Jeep Renegade?
Nope. KawaZuki 'Renegade' GzX1127.
A one-off special I built about 10 years ago.
Kawasaki GPz750 Unitrak frame, Suzuki GSX1127 motor, Mikuni RS36 flatslide carbs with Dynojet stage 1 kit & high flow filters, Kawasaki ZX10 wheels, Kawasaki ZX Turbo bodykit, Honda CBR1000 brakes & master cylinder.
Dyno'ed at 130bhp, 82 lb/ft torque. The Dyno guy said those figures were probably on the low side as he couldn't strap the bike down tight enough and it was breaking traction on the roller !

But...... prior to the Grand Voyager I had a Grand Cherokee 4.0 limited.
In my younger days I also owned an Oldsmobile Delta 88 Custom Coupe (427ci big block), Pontiac Parisienne (350 chevy) & a Dodge Charger (318 hemi).

I like 'em BIG :kiss:

G
#17 ·
As said in every other post here, it is def. the clock spring. I bought my 96 Grand Voyager about 3 months ago and had the same problem. Drove to the dealership and they told me that it was covered. FREE :thumb: (also needed 2 other recalls done as well)

As a side note, my minivan had 132,000 miles on it and they didn't charge me a cent.

#18 ·
For years, the horn was difficult to activate. Had to keep on pushing around the horn pad to fins a sweet spot. It would honk for a second and then you had to punch again. Air bag light came on recently and the horn and cruise control both died. The dealer replaced the clock spring under the recall at no charge and now the air bag light is out, the cruise control works, and the horn works just as good as the obnoxious one did on my dearly beloved and departed Plymouth Volare.

The T & C has 189K on it.

Lesson learned: Clock Springs cause intermittent and permanent horn failures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.