The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

3.3L V6 Steering Rack - HELP !

6K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Renegade1127 
#1 ·
I just spent all day trying to replace the steering rack on my '97 3.3L V6.

Everything is either off or loosened apart from the Fluid Pressure line where it connects to the steering box. The Return line (top one of the two) is off, had to remove the plastic and rubber boots from the base of the steering column to get to it from the top.

The Pressure line (bottom one of the two) won't move, working from above or below, and the nut is starting to round off. I tried the 'heat & WD' method, but still no go.

Anybody any ideas? or do I resort to the old-time method and use a chisel and hammer to crack it off ?

#2 ·
If you are going to replace the rack, you are going to replace the hoses and the pump, too. Cut, break or torch the old pipe off. The power hose is now avalable in the aftermarket (probably the oem manufacturer) for about 1/3 the dealer price. The low pressure return hose is not, only a one size cut to fit hose is avalable. I would reccomend getting the return hose from the dealer.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply DASander, unfortunately I already replaced the pump hoping to cure heavy steering, but no luck.

Anyway, I Got the damn thing off. Had to resort to being a plumber (good job I am then) and used 2 sets of water pump pliers - one set on the nut, and another set to grip the first set.

First pic below shows the limited space I had to work in, remember this is a right hand drive van. As you can see, the inner tie rod has got to be removed to allow even this restricted access. To make things a little easier, Haynes manual thoughtfully shows a left hand drive diagram :jpshakehe

Anybody doing this job, on a right or left hand drive, will find it easier to unscrew the inner tie rods rather than remove the outer tie rod ends.
You don't need to remove the wheels, and won't need to get the front end aligned after re-assembly. With the tie rods out of the way, the rack will drop straight down from the suspension cradle.

To unscrew the inner tie rods, remove the suspension cradle plate and place the van on jackstands so that the wheels are clear of the ground. Remove the clips from the rubber boots and push the boots along the tie rod (pic 2). Grip the end of the tie rod (pic 3), turn counter-clockwise and they come apart (pic 4).

Notice in pic 3 that you do not need to remove the intermediate coupler before removing the rack - just remove the upper pinch bolt inside the van to allow the whole lot to drop out in one piece. If you need to seperate the couplings, you can do it on the ground using a hammer and drift - no need for a roll pin extractor - and the pin will go back in the same way.

Attachments

Reactions: MyMamaDrivesAVan
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.