Need help with 2000 Chrysler Voyager tune up

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help with 2000 Chrysler Voyager tune up

Thanks

Need help with 2000 Chrysler Voyager tune up

Hello,

My 2000 Chrysler Voyager had been accelerating funny. When I would slow down and then accelerate it would stay going slow but sound as if it was revving up and then it would jerk as it speed up. I drove it for days like that waiting for tomorrow's payday. Well, this morning it stopped on me and I had to have it towed home.

I have been looking online for help but can't find anything. I can't find a repair manual anywhere in town and AutoZone said that one isn't even made for the year and make.

I want to change the spark plugs and maybe even do a complete tune-up but I don't even know where the spark plugs are

I am here looking for advice and links that may be useful.

HELP ME OBI-WAN; YOUR MY ONLY HOPE!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Aaron,

Welcome the the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron216 View Post
    My 2000 Chrysler Voyager had been accelerating funny. When I would slow down and then accelerate it would stay going slow but sound as if it was revving up and then it would jerk as it speed up. I drove it for days like that waiting for tomorrow's payday. Well, this morning it stopped on me and I had to have it towed home.
    By "stopped on me" what do you mean - was the engine still running and it just wouldn't "go"? Or did the engine die? Any noises?

From your initial description ("stay going slow but sound as if it was revving up"), it sounds a lot like transmission trouble of some sort. First thing is to check to make sure your transmission fluid level is OK, and see if there is a fluid leak. Make sure you follow the manual's instructions on how to check the fluid level -- and absolutely do not overfill a transmission! And -- only use chrysler approved ATF+4 fluid if you need to top it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron216 View Post
    I have been looking online for help but can't find anything. I can't find a repair manual anywhere in town and AutoZone said that one isn't even made for the year and make.

I want to change the spark plugs and maybe even do a complete tune-up but I don't even know where the spark plugs are

I am here looking for advice and links that may be useful.
    There are repair manuals available. At Autozone, there is a Haynes manual for these vans - look for one that says "1996-2000 plymouth voyager, dodge caravan, and chrysler town & country" or something like that, not "2000 chrysler voyager". The "chrysler voyager" name was used for a very short time only and may not appear on the repair manual covers.

- G
    1998 Grand Voyager @274,000mi, 3.3L FFV V6

Thanks

Thanks for the fast response!

The engine died a silent death and I cruised into a parking lot. Now it won’t start. It makes the vroom noise but doesn’t start.

I will check transmission fluid now. Can I get an accurate check with the engine not running?

I have a manual that is Chilton and covers 1996-02 Chrysler T&C, Dodge Caravan and GC; Plymouth Voyager and GV. I knew about the name change in 2000 so I bought this manual a few months ago. But today I noticed that the pictures were all for 3.3/3.8L engine compartment layouts, so I thought I got the wrong manual.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Dealing with repairs lowers my self esteem

Thanks

The Chilterns manual you have is virtually the same as the Haynes version.
    In fact, Haynes Publishing owns Chilterns.

I have both, the US Chilterns, and the UK Haynes. The Haynes version (manual #30011) covers 4 cylinder, 3.0 V6, 3.3 V6 and 3.8 V6.
    '97 Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 LE (UK Model) , 167,000 miles. Dual Fuel Petrol/LPG. Tow Pack.
    Now sold. New owner is using as a project ! Replaced by a 2000 Nissan Primera 2.0L Sport+

Thanks

[QUOTE=Aaron216;64942]Thanks for the fast response!

The engine died a silent death and I cruised into a parking lot. Now it won’t start. It makes the vroom noise but doesn’t start.

I will check transmission fluid now. Can I get an accurate check with the engine not running?

Unfortunately the engine needs to be running and preferably the tranny be warm (after driving a while) to get an accurate reading, If you check it when it is cold and not running the fluid should be overfull on the stick if it isn't than you are low! this is not a good way to determine level but it will at least give you an idea if the fluid is way to low.
    "IT'S HARD TO LEAVE WHEN YOU CAN'T FIND THE DOOR!!!

2003 Grand Caravan Sport 3.3L
    2004 Honda Civic
    A Few Boats and a Sled (not a dog sled )

Former Chryslers:
    2000 Dodge Dakota
    1993 Plymouth Acclaim
    1996 Voyager 3.0L
    1999 Caravan 3.0L

Thanks

Aaron,
    What is your engine? 3L 3.3L 3.8L ?

Thanks

My bet is on the 2.4

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sgagnon@commetro.com View Post
    Aaron,
    What is your engine? 3L 3.3L 3.8L ?

Agreed. Need more info..

Thanks

2.4L

Thanks for any advice

Thanks

How many miles on the 2.4? I don't understand the "vroom" description. If it cranks but does not start, it could be as simple as a sensor, or if the milage suggests, maybe the timing belt. Don't worrt about checking the trans until you get the engine running.

+ Reply to Thread