Help! rear power lift gate stopped working

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help! rear power lift gate stopped working

Thanks

Help! rear power lift gate stopped working

The rear power lift gate stopped working. It beeps as if it is going to open, but then does nothing. I found the fuse for it and don't think it is blown(I don't have an ohm meter). Do you think the motor is Bad? Can an average Joe replace it? How much does it cost?
    Please Help!!
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Check out this earlier thread on power liftgate problems. You might find help there.
    John
    Nashville, Tennessee

2001 Grand Caravan Sport 3.3L
    1999 Grand Caravan SE 3.3L
    1991 Honda Accord EX Wagon 5-spd 2.2L

Psalm 19

Thanks

lift gate problems also

I have the same problem on a 2001 T&C. When I use the power lift gate open from inside the cab of the van it unlocks but the motor does not even try to opne or close the lift gate. I read the other thread and it points to cold being the issue. I live in Birmigham, AL and it was 75 today so I know that is not the issue.

Does anyone else have any ideas? I pulled off the body panels around it to see if there was anything visibly wrong but all looked good. I also verified voltage to the motor and it seemed OK.

Thanks

Yeah I know, I don't think cold is an issue either. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It really has nothing to do with the weather. Today it was 54 in Indiana, it didn't work. On Easter it was colder and it worked. You got me, it seems that if the motor was bad, it would just stop working all together.

Thanks

I have a 2002 Town and Country, and it does seem to be related to the temp. 55 degress is borderline. Mine fails in the winter and resolves itself in the summer. Living in MI, that's a pretty big swing in temp

I had it into the dealership. They could not reproduce the issue in their heated garage. Leave it outside in the cold or in my un-heated garage and it fails most/all of the time.

The dealer lubricated the seals, latch, gears, etc. but it did not resolve. It was 60+ degrees this weekend and it worked a few times, then failed again.

Thanks

For all y'all with finicky rear power hatches that don't like cool temperatures, I find myself wondering if the temperature sensor that is supposed to deactivate the power component of the rear hatch at -12F (-24C) is somehow hosed up on your vans.

Thoughts?
    Sold: 1998 DGC Sport 3.8 (Final odo: 178,000 miles)
    Sold: 1998 Chrysler T&C LXi 3.8 (Final odo: 190,000 miles)
    Sold: 2003 DGC ES 3.8 (Final odo: 172,000 miles)
    1998 Audi A4 Quattro (5-Speed manual)
    2001 Honda Accord EX V6 (4-Speed automatic)
    2009 Mazda3 i Touring (5-Speed manual)
    2012 VW GTI (6-Speed manual)

Thanks

It might be the thermistor sensor/switch out of wack

I was looking at the service manual for the power liftgate, and there are a lot of cut-off switches that can cause the liftgate motor to stop or not operate at all. On both sides of the liftgate are those elongated plastic pressure switch that senses obstruction when closing, that can stop the motor.

For that temperature related motor not working >>>> it might be the chime/thermistor switch that disables the motor. It is built together with the chime buzzer, which is located inside in the rear plate light assembly. Try to remove the rear plate bar assembly to assess the chime/thermistor . . . test it if working, i.e. heat it with a hair dryer and test the lift gate if it will operate. The thermistor switch resistance increases with heat. The power liftgate control module operates when the thermistor resistance is within the preset range.

bulldog van.

Thanks

The problem is caused by failed latch assembly. I believe it is also called latch actuator.
    - Remove the power lift gate panel by removing two Philip screws on the lift gate handle
    - Pop the panel off starting at the bottom of the lift gate
    - Disconnect both the left and right connectors to the interior lights.
    - Disconnect the lock linkage (red plastic) that is connecting lock cylinder to the lock assembly/actuator.
    - Remove the latch assembly/actuator by removing three Torqx (spelling?) screws. I believe they are T-25. You need to use some muscle as they were put on tight.
    - Replace the latch assembly/actuator.

Reverse the order to put everything back. This fixed the problem with power lift gate not opening on my 2002 Chrysler Town&Country Limited.

I hope this helps.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pbusa For This Useful Post:

amelnik (05-20-2011)

Thanks

yes,I have a similar problem the door only opens when it feels like it.i live in florida so i dont think the temp. is an issue. the motor works fine when i close it just not to open where are the thermisters and temp. sensors?

Thanks

same problem with my power liftgate

It looks like I finally find an answer (posted by pbusa) that may actually fix my problem. Dear pbusa, can you help this "dumb Joe" a little more by explaining where this "power liftgate panel" is? Thanks much. Nick

+ Reply to Thread