The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

ABS Warning Light

8K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Dobie93 
#1 ·
Hello all, I am new to the board, and I hope someone will have some info that might help me. I have a 2005 Grand Caravan where the ABS warning light stays lit on the dash. all things still seem to be functioning properly but the light stays on. Can anyone shed some light as to what might be wrong or where I should start looking?

I have searched the forums, and google but haven't found anything relevant.

thanks,
Paul

#2 ·
When mine came on, I took the van to the dealer. He said it needed a new ABS control module, I believe he called it. It was a repair of several hundred dollars. He said the brakes would function without the repair, minus the ABS feature. The regular braking system works OK for me.

#5 ·
yes, I checked the fluid and the emergency brake. I also pulled the IOM fuse for about 1 minute to reset the computer and then drove around the block, and after about 2 minutes the ABS warning light came back on, so it is definitely something with the abs system, whether it is a wheel sensor or a control module I guess I will find out tomorrow. I will keep you posted as to what I find out.

#6 ·
Look at your tone wheels and wheel speed sensors. The tone wheels can crack between "spokes" causing a small space. It does not look like much, but this little space will cause a code and disable the ABS. Unfortunately, the tone wheel itself cannot be replaced, the entire axle needs to be replaced. They were trouble prone on the 2nd generation vans, 3rd and 4th have been relitavely trouble free (at least for me...)
If the tone wheels look O.K., ...
Check the resistance of the wheel speed sensors. Un plug them and test them one at a time. I usuaully do a quick check and will find a faulty one has no resistance. I have never actually had to go back and check for the proper resistance.
These are the obvious things I would check first.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the responses everyone, and it ended up being a sensor on the passenger front, and was covered under warranty. Part was $75. like Wombleman said, and DASander I will definitely do resistance test next time if it comes on before bringing it in.

thanks again all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.