Fuel Filter on 2006 Grand Caravan

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fuel Filter on 2006 Grand Caravan

Thanks

Fuel Filter on 2006 Grand Caravan

It is time to change my fuel filter. I have checked the maintenance guide and there is no mention of an interval to change out the filter.

I have also called the dealer. They do not stock the filter and were unsure how to order one. The parts guy said that it is very unusual to change the filter on this van.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is this a lifetime filter on the 2006?

Thanks,

Paul

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post
    It is time to change my fuel filter.
    Why?

I have checked the maintenance guide and there is no mention of an interval to change out the filter.
    That is correct.

They do not stock the filter and were unsure how to order one. The parts guy said that it is very unusual to change the filter on this van.
    That's also correct.

Unless you're experiencing some sort of driveability problem, and have conclusively tracked that down to a bad filter, there is very little need to change the fuel filter, especially on a regular interval. It's simply not necessary. As I understand, it's above the fuel tank, and not very easy to get to. Thoughts of changing a headlight in a Nissan Maxima come to mind. It's simply not an item that needs regular replacement, and it's not easy to get to. Fuggedaboutit and drive on!

Welcome to the forum!
    '11 Toyota Camry | 2.5/6AT | Sandy Beach
    '07 Chrysler T&C | 3.8/4AT | Cognac Crystal
    '05 Acura MDX | 3.5/5AT | Billet Silver
    '97 Dodge Dakota | 5.2/4AT | Emerald Green

Thanks

It is time to change my fuel filter. I have checked the maintenance guide and there is no mention of an interval to change out the filter.

I have also called the dealer. They do not stock the filter and were unsure how to order one. The parts guy said that it is very unusual to change the filter on this van.

Thanks,

Paul
    A 2006? Geez, how many miles do you have on that beast? A quarter of a million?

Seriously, like Jason already said, there's no interval specified in the manual and dealers don't stock them simply because they typically last the life of the van. FWIW, the original factory filter on our 1998 is still working perfectly well after 10 years and 155,000 miiles.
    Sold: 1998 DGC Sport 3.8 (Final odo: 178,000 miles)
    Sold: 1998 Chrysler T&C LXi 3.8 (Final odo: 190,000 miles)
    Sold: 2003 DGC ES 3.8 (Final odo: 172,000 miles)
    1998 Audi A4 Quattro (5-Speed manual)
    2001 Honda Accord EX V6 (4-Speed automatic)
    2009 Mazda3 i Touring (5-Speed manual)
    2012 VW GTI (6-Speed manual)

Thanks

This whole fuel filter notion that you don't have to change the filter because it lasts the life of the van seems so counter-intuitive.

How do they know what the fuel I buy will contain? Or, is the fuel filter so porous that it lets everything in?

As a filter gathers dirt, doesn't it start to block? Doesn't this have an effect on the fuel pump?

I changed it on my 2002 with 85K miles, just because I believe in periodic maintenance, and a fuel filter has always been on my list.

Once I resigned myself that you have to lower the fuel tank to replace it, it was an hour job.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jtc001 View Post
    This whole fuel filter notion that you don't have to change the filter because it lasts the life of the van seems so counter-intuitive.
    To be sure, "the life of the van" is a bit of a stretch for some, however, my bet is that the vast majority of these vans find a boneyard well south of 250,000 miles, and as such, the filter will last the entire time the van is on the road.

How do they know what the fuel I buy will contain? Or, is the fuel filter so porous that it lets everything in?
    Fuel stations (and the oil companies that service them) are required to meet certain purity standards. Unless you are constantly filling at some hole-in-the-wall station that sees a very low turn-over in fuel, you're probably good to go.

As a filter gathers dirt, doesn't it start to block? Doesn't this have an effect on the fuel pump?
    Yes, eventually a fuel filter will become more restrictive, however, I rather doubt that it will affect the pump much (if at all). If these pumps were so affected, I'm quite sure we'd be hearing about lots of fuel pump failures, and to be quite honest, I've been tracking automotive related boards for nearly ten years now and I think I can count the number of fuel pump failures I've read about on the fingers of one hand (and that's for all makes and models that I track combined).

I changed it on my 2002 with 85K miles, just because I believe in periodic maintenance, and a fuel filter has always been on my list.
    I understand that once a maintenance habit is established, it can often be hard to break. That however doesn't mean that said maintenance is necessary.

Once I resigned myself that you have to lower the fuel tank to replace it, it was an hour job.

Just my $0.02 worth.
    Good to know, if/when one of my cars gets to the quarter of a million mark, I might just be inclined to swap the filter too.

Thanks

I agree with Paul Jones. I changed my 2002 filter when it had 50,000 miles on it. Ran the tank down to a quarter of a tank and she dropped easy. It was a piece of cake to do.

Is the filtration at the pump really that much better?
    IAFarmer

Current Rides

02 Chrysler Voyager
    08 Chevy 1500 Supercab
    1981 International Cub Cadet 782
    1976 Spirit of 76 Cadet mower

Thanks

197,000 miles and still running great with the original fuel filter and pump. Oh, and the only time I buy a named brand gas is on a trip.
    ******** We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. You'll help hundreds. ********

**** Follow all prescribed safety procedures before attempting any repairs. If in doubt, refer to a maintenance manual. ****

96 Gr Caravan LE 3.8, 208K miles
    07 Fusion / 06 RAV 4 / 06 Accord / 94 Camry

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shipo View Post
    ...I've been tracking automotive related boards for nearly ten years now and I think I can count the number of fuel pump failures I've read about on the fingers of one hand (and that's for all makes and models that I track combined)....
    Add me to your count (maybe that makes it two hands?). The fuel pump in my 1995 Grand Voyager went at about 150K miles. (When they replaced it, they recommended a new fuel filter. I declined, since I knew that on my van it was fairly easy to replace the fuel filter. After they replaced the fuel pump, I replaced the fuel filter myself.)
    Michael
    Centreville, VA
    Currently driving:
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, 120K mi.
    Former owner of:
    1988 Dodge Caravan SE, 2.5L I4 (1988-1995, 99K mi); 1995 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE "Rallye", 3.3L (1995-2004, 169K mi); 2003 Grand Caravan Sport, 3.8L, (2004-2008, 106K mi), 2008 Nissan Quest, (2008-2010, 25K mi)

Other vehicles:
    2008 Lexus RX400h (Dark Gray), 98K mi; 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT (Blue), 75K mi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmahamm View Post
    Add me to your count (maybe that makes it two hands?). The fuel pump in my 1995 Grand Voyager went at about 150K miles. (When they replaced it, they recommended a new fuel filter. I declined, since I knew that on my van it was fairly easy to replace the fuel filter. After they replaced the fuel pump, I replaced the fuel filter myself.)
    If I'm not mistaken, you've mentioned your failed fuel pump before, and as such it has already accounted for.

Thanks

Wouldn't a fuel pump filter sock tend to be self cleaning? After all, the fuel/solvent sloshing around would tend to wash off containments. In addition, based on the filters large surface area I doubt suction would ever approach the point of pulling particles past the filter media.

I'm just thinking out loud...

+ Reply to Thread